Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Texans would almost never refer to it as part of the South but from the outside...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Besides, we'll be in the SEC in a year or two, so even that point of difference is eroding.

Guess that him being from California would possibly make us look like the south to him....

IT Scoop:

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX) - 2023: The state's top tailback for the 2023 class, and one of the best in the country, made his way to Athens for an unofficial to national champion Georgia over the weekend. This was a trip originally planned weeks ahead of time, and knowing Owens, he wasn't going to miss this opportunity.

Owens could choose from virtually any school in the nation, but he has his eyes set on a select few, namely Texas, Alabama, Texas A&M, and Georgia. The On3 Consensus No. 25 prospect in the 2023 class is the wild card of the next cycle. The former UT pledge stays in touch with top targets Arch Manning and Johntay Cook, so Manning might be the domino that starts the chain reaction.

Owens wants to return to Austin this spring, so with this recruitment, I'd put on my seat belt. It could be a bumpy ride.

WR Braylon James, Del Valle (Del Valle, TX) - 2023: One of the state's top junior pass-catchers made the short drive to Austin for an unofficial on Friday. The 6-foot-3, 175-pound On3 Consensus four-star is a prospect UT's newest wide receiver coach is starting to build a connection with. A lot will depend of who the Horns focus on with a handful of receiver spots available for the next cycle. James offers an outside guy that can stretch the field, but getting a good read on his recruitment has proved to be difficult. He likes the Longhorns and Aggies, but LSU and Stanford might be making a stronger push. Baylor is the sleeper.

He's talented, but probably not in the top tier of Texas targets like Desoto's Johntay Cook, Langham Creek's Jaquaize Pettaway, and Longview's Jalen Hale.

ATH Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Temple (Temple, TX) - 2023: When you have 46 offers eight months before your senior season, that seems substantial. But in talking with the On3 Consensus No. 90 overall prospect down I-35, you wouldn't even know it. Harrison-Pilot possesses a humility unseen by many high school prospects.

Alabama, OU, Florida, LSU, Michigan, and Stanford are among his early suitors, but he recently tripped to Austin and Fort Worth this weekend.

One of the keys to his recruitment will be where he plays in college. This high-level athlete plays in both sides of the ball for Temple, and while safety would seem like his ideal fit at the college level, Texas is giving him more options. Especially when he's an 11.02 100 and 21.63 200 track star, and excels on the baseball diamond.

"It was fun and we had a good time," said Harrison-Pilot. "Talking with coach Sarkisian and hanging out with coach (Brennan) Marion and coach (Shaun) Lewis was cool. (Texas) just loves my game. They said I can choose which side of the ball I want to play, or the possibility of playing a little of both."

On offense, MHP has notched 1,233 total yards and 22 touchdowns in two years as a running back/wideout. He enjoys finding the end zone.

"I'm liking offense right now," said Harrison-Pilot. "But I'm really open to whatever."

WR Kyle Parker, Lovejoy (Lucas, TX) - 2023: The Longhorns are in a solid spot right now due to the Brennan Marion relationship with the 5-foot-10, 175-pound route running machine. Parker made a visit to Louisville on Friday/Saturday, and took in the Duke-Louisville hoops game. IT fully expects Parker back in Austin to take in a spring practice in March or April.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Especially when he's an 11.02 100 and 21.63 200 track star

These two numbers do not compute for me.  21.63 is an excellent time, especially for a sophomore time.  11.02 is rather.....pedestrian.

Edit to add - maybe coach needs to run him in the 400.

Edited by jeevsie

3 hours ago, jeevsie said:

These two numbers do not compute for me.  21.63 is an excellent time, especially for a sophomore time.  11.02 is rather.....pedestrian.

Edit to add - maybe coach needs to run him in the 400.

I ran identical times at his age. He runs a good curve, and is a bit slow out of the blocks. I'm not sure how good of a track coach he has, but could possibly be a 10.7 guy with a good coach that can teach you how to set up your blocks. That didn't happened to me until college, and you realize you are faster than you thought.

CHIEF

2 hours ago, Constant said:

I’m saddened by this development. Knowing my delicious drink choice may have a small impact in getting your loser football team out of an inflatable bounce house for practice hurts. But…not enough to make any changes. 

Can you ever not be a douche?

2 hours ago, Constant said:

I’m saddened by this development. Knowing my delicious drink choice may have a small impact in getting your loser football team out of an inflatable bounce house for practice hurts. But…not enough to make any changes. 

You seem like a man of constant sorrow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I ran identical times at his age. He runs a good curve, and is a bit slow out of the blocks. I'm not sure how good of a track coach he has, but could possibly be a 10.7 guy with a good coach that can teach you how to set up your blocks. That didn't happened to me until college, and you realize you are faster than you thought.
CHIEF

@closetojumping witnessed this…in his rearview mirror.
  • Haha 2