Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

18 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Yeah, but it is a real offe

The debate with Alabama has been whether they offer him as a DL or OL. I think this means that Alabama has finally decided to offer him as a DL because Markis and his dad want him to play D. Whether he can commit right away or not,  I have no idea.

If Bama lands him, I bet they will continue to try and move him to OL though.

13 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

https://247sports.com/player/markis-deal-46102678/

He and his dad have been waiting on this offer.

I saw that he shot put it 49 ft and I thought that that sounds pretty good and I wondered if Michael Carter still holds the record and he does: 81 ft, set in 1979. I  wonder if anybody will ever break it. He must have been a beast.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

Joe Cook: On3 Consensus 4-star OL Isaiah Robinson talks Texas, recent junior day visit

After signing a seven-man haul in 2022, Texas won’t need as big of an offensive line class in the 2023 cycle. But tackle prospects like Arlington (Texas) Lamar OT Isaiah Robinson are the type Kyle Flood and company want in Austin regardless of class size. Robinson, the No. 217 prospect in the country according to On3’s rankings, took the trip down IH-35 recently for Texas’ junior day. Inside Texas caught up with the 6-foot-7 lineman after the visit to see where the Longhorns stand in his recruiting process.

Inside Texas: How did the visit go?

Isaiah Robinson: It was nice. It was nice to come up here again and get to know more about the school, the program, and what they’re all about. And I met more of the coaches.

IT: What was one of the highlights? What’s something you’ll remember from this trip?

IR: One thing I’ll definitely remember is going into the team room and getting to know all the coaches, seeing what they’re all about, and what the team is all about.

IT: Did you get to have much one-on-one time with any of the coaches?

IR: Yeah, we did go into the offensive line room with Coach Flood. That was nice, it was just him showing us everything he teaches his O-line here and stuff I can take back with me.

IT: You want to major in…

IR: Theater.

IT: Did they talk to you about that stuff?

IR: We have. I talked to Coach Flood real early in this process about it. It’s definitely something that’s a good attribute of this school, something they’re really good with. That’s definitely kind of a plus for me.

IT: In your words, where does Texas fit in you list of schools?

IR: Texas is definitely in the top ten, top five, somewhere up there.

IT: Do you have plans to cut that list down any time soon?

IR: Not anytime soon, no.

IT: When do you want to take your official visits?

IR: Probably spread them out between spring and fall.

IT: Any timeline on your decision?

IR: No, not for sure.

Robinson is ranked as the No. 209 prospect in the nation and No. 25 prospect in Texas according to the On3 Consensus. He is ranked as the No. 11 offensive tackle in the nation in the 2023 cycle.

• Hook 'Em 2

(Sam Spiegelman) Arch Manning: Latest recruiting intel on Five-Star Plus+ quarterback

Five-Star Plus+ New Orleans Isidore Newman quarterback Arch Manning has shifted his focus to hoops — for now. However, the nation’s No. 1 player will resume taking college visits after basketball season comes to a close. After a wide range of coaching moves at various programs, Manning is expected to return to Alabama, Georgia, Texas and Ole Miss. With the exception of Texas, there was coaching turnover at each of the schools.

Ole Miss offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby is now in the same role at Oklahoma. Georgia receivers coach Cortez Hankton – a New Orleans native – assumed the same position with LSU. Alabama has already replaced two assistants and offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien has been linked to several NFL teams. Charlie Weis Jr., the new offensive coordinator at Ole Miss, has made a quick impression on Manning and has a unique NFL tie, one source noted. “They are getting used to each other,” the source said.

Manning wants to take time to get acquainted with the new coaches, sources tell On3. He’s trying to be “thorough” and “thoughtful” with the decision, sources say.

Head coaches stepping up to see Arch Manning

In January, Kirby Smart (Georgia); Nick Saban (Alabama); Steve Sarkisian (Texas); Lane Kiffin (Ole Miss); Brian Kelly (LSU); Billy Napier (Florida); Mark Stoops (Kentucky) and Willie Fritz (Tulane) were all Uptown to see Arch Manning. Saban was the final head coach at Newman on Jan. 28. He, along with Smart and Sarkisian, are the head coaches that have made a strong impression on Manning, sources tell On3.

Manning made game-day visits to Georgia, Texas, Ole Miss and Alabama, and is expected to return to these campuses this offseason. “He’s going to reaffirm why he likes those programs,” the source said.

Fresh eyes on new teams

Arch Manning has maintained an open approach to his recruitment. After so many moving pieces, there’s a handful of teams worth monitoring. Napier and his staff seem primed to make a strong push for Manning, sources tell On3. His offensive-minded coaching style has been well-received by Manning and there are Louisiana ties on staff with Jabbar Juluke and Corey Raymond.

Kelly recruited Manning at Notre Dame and even had Zoom conversations with Manning, his family and Newman coach Nelson Stewart. Kelly is driving home “a new version of LSU” to the Mannings, the source said.

Manning was fond of former LSU offensive coordinators Joe Brady and Jake Peetz. Now, the onus is on Joe Sloan, Brian Polian, Mike Denbrook and Frank Wilson, who are urging Manning to get back on campus and soak in a practice and examine the new systems and culture in place. Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh has already extended an offer to the nation’s top quarterback. The interest from the Wolverines is in its early phases, according to a source.

Ohio State quarterbacks coach Corey Dennis has been in touch with Manning’s coaches and took in one of his basketball games last month. The Buckeyes are showing “consistent interest,” the source said, adding that Day’s pedigree and track record of developing quarterbacks is notable. Manning’s father, Cooper Manning, expressed to On3 that they have not limited any of their options and could make visits to new campuses this offseason.

No timeline in place — yet

Arch Manning doesn’t know which campus he’ll visit first this spring. Plus, he doesn’t have a timeline in place for his decision. Sources with knowledge of Manning’s recruitment believe it could come after his campus tour ahead of his senior season at Newman. There’s a sense that the Manning family would like the decision out of the way by then. However, they will not rush it.

Most importantly, if Manning isn’t 100% locked in, the source said, he will not give a commitment. Therefore, in theory, could open the door for the decision to stretch beyond his season. The On3 Consensus – a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies – has Manning ranked as the No. 1 quarterback and No. 1 overall player in the nation.

Arch Manning currently has an On3 NIL Valuation of $1.6 million. The NIL valuation does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals an athlete has completed to date. It rather signifies an athlete’s value at a certain moment in time. Manning ranks No. 5 in the On3 NIL Rankings.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Chad Simmons) 2023 5-stars: The early recruiting intel

National Signing Day for the 2022 class has come and gone, so it’s time to turn the page to the class of 2023. It’s early, but there are now 14 five-stars in the On3 Consensus with Lebbeus Overton reclassifying to the 2022 class early on Thursday. Quarterback Malachi Nelson and wide receiver Zachariah Branch have already committed, and both have committed to Lincoln Riley and the USC Trojans. Director of Recruiting Chad Simmons gives the early buzz on the other 12 uncommitted five-stars.

5-Star Plus+ QB Arch Manning

The buzz: Early in the fall, Texas was the school with the most buzz around it for Arch Manning. There is a connection there between him and Steve Sarkisian. Will Quinn Ewers being in Austin affect Manning? Likely not, but the Longhorns don’t have the buzz around it that it once did on my end. Alabama and Georgia are the two that I hear are the favorites. I give Georgia a slight edge as we get going in 2022. He likes Todd Monken a lot, he has bonded with Buster Faulkner and he likes the town of Athens.

Alabama is right there as well. Their style of play, their quarterback development and Bill O’Brien all factor into his interest in the Crimson Tide. Clemson has faded. Ole Miss is still there. Those connections will not go away and Lane Kiffin and Charlie Weis Jr. are recruiting him hard. Florida, LSU, and some others will work to get in this race too. Texas will remain in the race also. Manning’s recruitment is likely to go at least into the summer, possibly into the season.

5-Star Plus+ CB Cormani McClain

The buzz: This is one that could still go in numerous directions. Florida was the leader for Cormani McClain early and I expect the Gators to stay in the think of this race. Miami had McClain on campus recently and the Hurricanes are expected to get another visit in the spring. His close friend and former teammate, Sam McCall, is at Florida State, and it’s an in-state school, so the Seminoles could potentially become a factor.

Numerous out-of-state schools are in the mix as well. McClain was at Georgia last weekend and the Bulldogs made a good impression. Alabama, BYU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, and USC are some others he is in regular contact with.

5-Star DL David Hicks

The buzz: Over the last two weekends of January, David Hicks took visits to Oklahoma and Texas A&M. I view those as the top two schools early and lean toward the Sooners at this time. The relationships he has with numerous Oklahoma coaches are key in my feelings here. Hicks comes from a tight-knit family and relationships are big for him. Look for him to take quite a few visits in the spring. He is definitely looking to get out west in the coming months. Schools like Arizona State, Oregon, and USC are on his radar.

5-Star OT Kadyn Proctor

The buzz: The narrative will be that Kadyn Proctor is in Iowa, former teammate Xavier Nwankpa just signed with Iowa, he has visited Iowa many times, and he is a strong Iowa lean. All that may be true, but it still looks to be very early in the process. Top programs from all over the country had coaches in to check on Proctor the last few weeks. Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas A&M, and many others stopped by.  Proctor is working on a plan to schedule visits for the spring in the coming days.

5-Star DL James Smith

The buzz: Early on, it looks like this could be a battle between Alabama and Georgia. James Smith was in Tuscaloosa on Jan. 22, then in Athens on Jan. 29. He is in Montgomery and Alabama has made him a priority. It will be hard for Georgia or anyone to get him away from the Crimson Tide. Both schools are expected to make him a top priority this cycle. He is already planning to be back at both schools in the spring.

5-Star IOL Francis Mauigoa

The buzz: Francis Mauigoa was just at USC and the feedback coming out of that visit was very strong. He connected with Josh Henson and the interest seems high around the Trojans. Alabama has always been a school on Mauigoa’s radar and he is expected back there in the spring. Miami had him on campus in January and the Hurricanes are trying to establish themselves as a contender. Oregon is another school I am hearing a lot about around Mauigoa’s recruitment. Those are four major programs worth watching early.

5-Star S Caleb Downs

The buzz: Late in the fall, Alabama may have pulled ahead slightly. Their defensive backs production speaks for itself, and that is definitely something Caleb Downs has taken notice of. He also really liked Jay Valai. He recently left Alabama for Oklahoma. And with that move, combined with a recent visit to Georgia, the in-state school, which was always viewed as a top three school, may be trending a little now.

Ohio State has consistently been up high for Downs as well. North Carolina is where his brother Josh Downs plays and uncle Dre Bly coaches, so the Tar Heels have to be mentioned. Notre Dame is another one. Clemson and Oklahoma are schools being talked about as well.

5-Star ATH Samuel M’Pemba

The buzz: Samuel M’Pemba put out a top 12 early in the fall, but after some coaching moves and new offers, that list is likely to be updated in the coming months. A school that is expected to stay on it is Notre Dame. If M’Pemba would have committed early, I liked the Irish as his pick. He is a fan of Marcus Freeman. Ohio State has now offered. Brian Kelly and LSU offered. Missouri is a school to keep an eye on due to M’Pemba being from St. Louis, Mo. Alabama, Florida, Miami, and others are in the mix too. The Gators are set to receive the first visit in March.

5-Star LB Anthony Hill

The buzz: This one could come down to a regional battle. Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M are all in on elite linebacker Anthony Hill. He visited all three schools in January, and each is expected to battle for the No. 1 linebacker prospect in the country. If there is a school to watch outside the region, it looks to be Alabama. He has tripped to Tuscaloosa before and there is interest in the Crimson Tide.

5-Star QB Nico Iamaleava

The buzz: Nico Iamaleava is from the West Coast, but he is intrigued by schools in the SEC. Alabama and Georgia are two that have caught his attention early, and he has talked highly of Tennessee as well. Over the last two weekends, he has taken visits to Miami and Oregon. It is still relatively early for Iamaleava, but his list is expected to get much smaller in the coming months. Visits back to Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee are already being discussed for the spring. UCLA is a sleeper school to watch as well.

5-Star EDGE Nyckoles Harbor

The buzz: Nyckoles Harbor is focused on track right now. The 6-5, 235-pound freak athlete ran the 200m in 20.79 seconds late in January, so he is evaluating each offer from a football and track perspective. His goal is to run in the Olympics one day. On the football side, Harbor is wide open. He added double-digit offers in January. He won’t be able to start visits until late spring after track ends, so schools will work hard in the coming months to get on his list. Some schools doing a good job with communication at this time are Maryland, Michigan, Penn State, Rutgers, South Carolina, and Texas A&M. Jamar Cain made the move from Oklahoma to LSU, and that is a coach he has connected with.

5-Star DL Matayo Uiagalelei

The buzz: Matayo Uiagalelei has his older brother, DJ Uiagaleli at Clemson. That helps Clemson, but it is not expected to factor into his final decision. He was at USC and Oregon over the last few weekends and he is expected to look nationally at all his options. Both new coaching staffs made strong impressions I am hearing, but especially Lincoln Riley. Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, are some others on his radar. Uiagalelei is expected to hit the road again in the spring.

6 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I saw that he shot put it 49 ft and I thought that that sounds pretty good and I wondered if Michael Carter still holds the record and he does: 81 ft, set in 1979. I  wonder if anybody will ever break it. He must have been a beast.

Nobody will throw 81 in HS again, unless it's one of his grandsons (Somebody get Michelle Carter pregnant!)

Carter's 2nd longest is 77.  The next closest person threw 72.

1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

I assume cigarette lighting time means that Arch committed, and Rueben Owens and Johntay Cook are going to be quick to follow suit.

57 minutes ago, MoJames said:

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

Come on, fellas. You can go ahead and light the cigarettes now, because we've already been fucked. 

HT and RIP to the legend and mentor, PhxHorn, who originated that terminology, or at least for my eyes, back on the GoBig12 days in the late '90's. 

• Like 2

1) People who know their shit on the recruiting front do not like the outlook for Texas with the 2023 class. I mean, UT is starting from way, way behind in a lot of spots.

Don't really get this. We just signed the #5 class, after a losing season, and with a coaching staff that's been here just a year. Not sure how we could be further behind than that for 2023.