Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Just now, Mo Horn said:

Don't really get this. We just signed the #5 class, after a losing season, and with a coaching staff that's been here just a year. Not sure how we could be further behind than that for 2023. 

Bad seasons are reflected the next class out, which is 2023. Plus, look at our Junior Day attendance - the in-state elites almost universally no-showed. We're starting off further behind with them than we did with the 2022 elites.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Don't really get this. We just signed the #5 class, after a losing season, and with a coaching staff that's been here just a year. Not sure how we could be further behind than that for 2023. 

What @texifornia said but also, think about what you just typed. All of the bad shit happened, there hasn't been any good shit other than a signed class, and there won't be much else besides NIL related stuff to stem the negative views until late August. That's a whole lot of time behind us and forward for everyone who had a better 2021 or who has a new staff for 2022 to paint Texas as an incompetent shithole with a staff that is already DOA and not an "it" group with whom to associate. 

One good thing happening in spite of a fucking wave of tangible and intangible bad things happening shouldn't be the reason your outlook for the future looks rosy. That's basically pure, unadulterated fanboy thinking and nothing else.

17 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Just get Arch.  The rest will take care of itself.

Doesn't seem like there's any reason to feel really good about that right now. The Mannings certainly would be aware of some of the headwinds that CTJ mentions. Yet 100% of the talk recently has been about them slowing it down and taking the decision into the fall. If Arch was looking to play any sort of pied piper role at Texas, now would be the time. You also have Chad Simmons saying that Bama and Georgia have jumped ahead of Texas. Maybe we're "in it" and will remain so, but the trend line at this time is not good at all.

4 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

I see the chicken littles are out early this year. Guess we are fucked because nothing ever changes between now and NSD1 in December. Guess there’s always 2024, but heard we have a shit position there too. Damn, guess we suck ass forever. 

Would you prefer people just Looch it up and talk about how super great things look right now? 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Would you prefer people just Looch it up and talk about how super great things look right now? 

Can we not have a medium? Maybe not all sunshine and rainbows and ignoring glaring issues but I also don’t think we should declare 2023 a failure when 2022 signing period literally ended yesterday. Lots of shit will change over the next 10 months. Everyone calm down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Can we not have a medium? Maybe not all sunshine and rainbows and ignoring glaring issues but I also don’t think we should declare 2023 a failure when 2022 signing period literally ended yesterday. Lots of shit will change over the next 10 months. Everyone calm down. 

Look at it this way, if they pull a good class out of this with these headwinds it's an enormous achievement we should all be appropriately stoked about.

47 minutes ago, Fug said:

NIL has ruined recruiting for me, I don’t have an opinion too often but I find myself lurking less and less on here

It wasn’t NIL that ruined the sport. It was a toothless ncaa that refused to root out and punish cheating by Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Oregon, Mississippi, etc and now A&M. NIL is the only way to compete with the under the table cheating. Of course, now the cheating is being done under the NIL label. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

So call your spot, put it down and put a stamp on it.  Where do you think we finish ranked at the end of the 2023 recruiting cycle?  I will go 1st  I say we will be Top 7.

OHHHH SHIT!!!! 9.95ers down on Texas this cycle!?!?!? 

Top 2 class loading. . . . .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Actually, yes? Other than the sugar bowl, the only real enjoyment I've squeezed out of this program in the last 10 years is reading off-season fiction.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Theo Aquacates said:

I don't know what to tell you if you can't actually read what I wrote and notice that part where I talk about how things can wind up far better than they look right now. That's actually what makes recruiting fun - it isn't fully fait accompli. No shit things will change. You're new here - the rest of us are well aware and don't need the admonishment.

49 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

So call your spot, put it down and put a stamp on it.  Where do you think we finish ranked at the end of the 2023 recruiting cycle?  I will go 1st  I say we will be Top 7.

I already "put it down and put a stamp on it" earlier in this thread, so let's not act like you're big dick energying-up the thread here by "calling your shot". I said between 15 and 25 ranking, and if they land Manning, it will be between 5 and 10. Texas should never finish outside of the top 10, so if they do, Sarkisian should be fired on SD2 in 2023 (he won't and I don't expect it, but that's what should happen if he signs a #21 ranked class).

For reference, I've predicted UT to finish inside the top 5 or 10 for the last 10 years outside of a transition class, so don't sarvanaash me up by thinking I'm always down on our prospects. 

Sorry if this isn't what everyone wants to here, but those paying attention can keep the data point. Things aren't "normal" right now for UT heading into this class, for reasons previously referenced.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know what to tell you if you can't actually read what I wrote and notice that part where I talk about how things can wind up far better than they look right now. That's actually what makes recruiting fun - it isn't fully fait accompli. No shit things will change. You're new here - the rest of us are well aware and don't need the admonishment.

I already "put it down and put a stamp on it" earlier in this thread, so let's not act like you're big dick energying-up the thread here by "calling your shot". I said between 15 and 25 ranking, and if they land Manning, it will be between 5 and 10. Texas should never finish outside of the top 10, so if they do, Sarkisian should be fired on SD2 in 2023 (he won't and I don't expect it, but that's what should happen if he signs a #21 ranked class).

For reference, I've predicted UT to finish inside the top 5 or 10 for the last 10 years outside of a transition class, so don't sarvanaash me up by thinking I'm always down on our prospects. 

Sorry if this isn't what everyone wants to here, but those paying attention can keep the data point. Things aren't "normal" right now for UT heading into this class, for reasons previously referenced.

hear

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

geez....go smoke a bowl and rub one out. I think that will help take the edge off. 

Having some fun here. Move over to some decaf and keep the insights coming. So you agree, we will be in the top 10. Same page. 

I'm enjoying the Top 2 talk!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

geez....go smoke a bowl and rub one out. I think that will help take the edge off. 

Having some fun here. Move over to some decaf and keep the insights coming. So you agree, we will be in the top 10. Same page. 

I'm enjoying the Top 2 talk!!!!

Battered fan syndrome is strong with some in here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Too early wish list:

Manning

Owens*

Cook

Pettaway

Greathouse*

Kaiuway

Robinson

Shanahan

Vasek*

Hicks

Carter

Porter*

Hill

Brooks*

Toviano*

Johnson*

We get 10 of those 16 guys plus another dozen others and it’ll be a good class.  I think we get the 7 I asterisked.

Winning will cure everything.  Losing will fuck everything up.

10 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

If Steve Sarkisian at Texas were a stock, explain why you would buy it. Now explain why someone should buy it before the season starts. It's.....not easy. 

I think a lot of people think of it as recruiting kids to the University of Texas at Austin.  I think the kids we're recruiting - for the larger part - think of it as being recruited to Steve Sarkisian.  Quite the gulf of perception.

• Hook 'Em 3

The optimistic view for 2022 is we have probably found a long term solution at QB, improved WR/TE and odds are the offense is really going to be exciting to watch. The pessimistic view is the fact that Sark took the Charlie Strong QB Solution to the defense. By merely hoping things will get better, he’s probably already setup that unit to fail. Our entire hopes rest on Gary Patterson sprinkling fairy dust from a distance on the unit and coaches. I fully expect PK to get fired early in the year and 2022 to be far less successful than it could have been as a result. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

If Steve Sarkisian at Texas were a stock, explain why you would buy it. Now explain why someone should buy it before the season starts. It's.....not easy. 

It's a Benjamin Graham Net-Net stock. There's few puffs of smoke left in the cigarette butt to catch some upside; if there is lightning in a bottle, this thing can take off

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

The optimistic view for 2022 is we have probably found a long term solution at QB, improved WR/TE and odds are the offense is really going to be exciting to watch. The pessimistic view is the fact that Sark took the Charlie Strong QB Solution to the defense. By merely hoping things will get better, he’s probably already setup that unit to fail. Our entire hopes rest on Gary Patterson sprinkling fairy dust from a distance on the unit and coaches. I fully expect PK to get fired early in the year and 2022 to be far less successful than it could have been as a result. 

The defense actually played well in stretches last year. Greater buy-in and improved awareness will go a long way there. We will also have better edge play because it really can't get much worse. Personnel should improve with Brock injured and BJ Foster gone. If the offense is able to sustain more drives, the defense will play better. That's before considering the GP consultant impact. The big 12 is also down, so 9 wins should be easy unless QE isn't the guy or there are major injury issues.

Of course, if the defense somehow gets worse then things can get hairy in a hurry. But hope springs eternal.

Should be a good year for guys to get their sea legs and set the stage for the next. Too bad Bijan probably isn't staying for 2023.

Edited by Atticus

1 hour ago, kwood4408 said:

Because said stock is cheap

I'm not sure how. Where's the discount? Whole point Im making is when you're a top 100 recruit, you dont have to take a chance on a situation like Sark. 5-7 and a loss to Kansas covers you in doubt and speculation. On top of that we are barely involved in the bag game. There's just too many headwinds to expect much out of recruiting right now and maybe this whole cycle. A big winning season with Ewers is the only thing I can see that can change the narrative, but even that is going to take too long for a lot of these kids. Getting ridiculous with the NIL would obviously help too but I just dont see it. That stuff should continue to progress but not in some silly way where we can just buy a class. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm not sure how. Where's the discount? Whole point Im making is when you're a top 100 recruit, you dont have to take a chance on a situation like Sark. 5-7 and a loss to Kansas covers you in doubt and speculation. On top of that we are barely involved in the bag game. There's just too many headwinds to expect much out of recruiting right now and maybe this whole cycle. A big winning season with Ewers is the only thing I can see that can change the narrative, but even that is going to take too long for a lot of these kids. Getting ridiculous with the NIL would obviously help too but I just dont see it. That stuff should continue to progress but not in some silly way where we can just buy a class. 

I simply answered why you would buy stock in them. I tend to buy my stocks when cheap and I don’t think it can get much cheaper after the shitshow we saw last season.

1 minute ago, kwood4408 said:

I simply answered why you would buy stock in them. I tend to buy my stocks when cheap and I don’t think it can get much cheaper after the shitshow we saw last season.

I'm admittedly bad at analogies, but the question was meant to imply if you are a blue chip recruit, why would you buy stock in Sark when you can buy something much safer elsewhere with plenty of upside? Its just going to be tough sledding. I think people should be careful not to forget how fortunate we got with the coaching changes at the end of the last cycle. I think Arch wants to play in his offense and I think the Mannings trust him as a QB developer, but do they trust he will even be around the whole time? I certainly dont.