Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just figure out where Manning's sister is going to school. If she heads to Virginia, it's a non-factor. If she comes to Texas, it could be a big deal. Some will dispute family impact on choices like this, but if the family believes that any of the staffs under consideration can get Arch to the next level, family ties could benefit us. They're a tight unit.

Eli Manning comes to Texas if Chris Simms doesn't commit. If he's never openly stated it to the press, it's something that's been said offline over the years by the family. They're going to be looking for the maximum opportunity comprised between development and public platform. I think Ewers being on the depth chart would matter here, but likely no other QB.

I vaguely remember John Mcclain telling a story about how we were pitched a Cooper/Peyton package deal, before Cooper got injured.  Not sure if Mackovic was receptive or not.

Guessing Klubnik at Clemson and Ty Simpson at Bama won't scare Arch off either.

Edited by closetohumping

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Guessing Klubnik at Clemson and Ty Simpson at Bama won't scare Arch off either.

Nope. Not only will it not scare him off there's a good chance that Ty Simpson is on the 2-deep the day he sets foot on campus, not just because he's really good but because the Tide are really young at QB right now. The depth chart heading in to the spring is Bryce Young (SO) and Paul Tyson (RS SO who was the QB2 take to go along with Taulia). That's it. Pretty much the same situation at Clemson with DJ Uiagalelei and Taisun Phommachanh (HOLY NAME COMBO) though I don't expect Klubnick to hit the 2-deep and will likely get his RS. Texas will very likely have some shakeout with Casey, Card, Wright, Lourd, and Murphy ... 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Nope. Not only will it not scare him off there's a good chance that Ty Simpson is on the 2-deep the day he sets foot on campus, not just because he's really good but because the Tide are really young at QB right now. The depth chart heading in to the spring is Bryce Young (SO) and Paul Tyson (RS SO who was the QB2 take to go along with Taulia). That's it. Pretty much the same situation at Clemson with DJ Uiagalelei and Taisun Phommachanh (HOLY NAME COMBO) though I don't expect Klubnick to hit the 2-deep and will likely get his RS. Texas will very likely have some shakeout with Casey, Card, Wright, Lourd, and Murphy ... 

He's also Bear Bryant's great grandson. Just sharing because I found it interesting. Carry on.

• Hook 'Em 1

Two Manning questions:

- Regarding the sister, she'll be playing college volleyball somewhere, right? Is she Texas good at VB?

- Holy shit, Cooper's youngest son is listed as a 6'8 273 pound HS freshman lineman? What the fuck, even assuming those numbers are inflated that's a huge 15 year old. 

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/heid-manning/WwUFmJYlEeqAzqREozo6lw/default.htm

On 3/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, CHIEF said:

Sure seems like it takes the ball a long time to get there. What were tight windows in his HUDL would be interceptions in college ball. He is still really young, but he doesn't have a cannon. Admittedly, I only watched about the first three minutes. One can only watch the same play so many times from a different angle.

CHIEF

His sophomore highlights vs Ewers sophomore highlights are night and day. I think he's vastly overrated but time will tell. His last name is creating the hype but that's no fault of his.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Two Manning questions:

- Regarding the sister, she'll be playing college volleyball somewhere, right? Is she Texas good at VB?

- Holy shit, Cooper's youngest son is listed as a 6'8 273 pound HS freshman lineman? What the fuck, even assuming those numbers are inflated that's a huge 15 year old. 

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/heid-manning/WwUFmJYlEeqAzqREozo6lw/default.htm

I'm looking at pictures. Heid looks like he's 4 inches shorter than Arch.  Not sure about the sister being Texas good, but man that would be awesome.  As for Arch, the only real threat to him for PT would be Maalik.  

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Two Manning questions:

No, she is not Texas good at VB. She is academically Texas good and also could be a PWO, per someone that is familiar. UVa is making a scholarship offer push. In a recent interview with her, she told the blogger or news site that she was done with VB after winning the state title. 

Whatever anyone wants to say about the Mannings, they appear to have an affinity for the state of Louisiana and pretty much zero interest in having their kids go to college there. Smart folks.

• Hook 'Em 3

Roach

— 2023 defensive back Jayvon Thomas is off to a hot start on the recruiting trail and he transferred today to South Oak Cliff high school. A dynamic cornerback with a big frame, Thomas already picked up Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Oregon and USC, and more are on the way. Texas has been evaluating Thomas recently and I've heard they are impressed with his film. It wouldn't surprise me to see an offer come his way soon.

— One other 2023 prospect to watch is Richland wide receiver Ashton Cozart. His star is starting to rise and he's establishing himself as a legitimate prospect in the state of Texas. Cozart told me he recently spoke with Andre Coleman who indicated strong interest in the lanky pass-catcher. Like Thomas, an offer to Cozart this spring wouldn't surprise me.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

DB Jamel Johnson, Arlington Seguin (2023):

At 6-foot-1, 175, the DFW corner is no longer a secret among college programs. He's currently not rated on 247 or Rivals, but it's safe to say that'll change. Right now, Johnson is loving the rise.

With 19 offers - Texas, Alabama, OU, Texas A&M, Penn State, Virginia Tech, and Michigan - all over the last few months, Johnson is enjoying himself.

“Just getting to know schools better and the coaches is great,” said Johnson.

LSU was his dream school growing up, but he’s open to all programs. The family atmosphere is the most important facet of his decision-making process early on.

“I don’t know too much about Texas,” said Johnson. “Their workout videos and stuff they’re putting out look really good and I can’t wait to learn more about the coaches.”

For prospects on the island, Johnson might be in the top tier in-state for the 2023 cycle. He's already received national attention. Now, UT just has to build the bond.

WR Ashton Cozart, North Richland Hills (Richland, TX) - 2023 and Cole Welliver, Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) - 2024:

They arrived via Governor Abbott’s new qualified football prospect visa. The Governor proudly stated, “If Cubans can be Yankees I see no reason why West Coast football players can’t be Texans.”

*None of that’s true, save the Metroplex gaining two talents from the Seattle area.

Cozart’s father, Chris, is originally from Red Oak but the military has taken the family all over. Most recently they were in Sammamish, which recruitniks might remember from the 2020 cycle as Eastside Catholic was loaded. In that class, WR Gee Scott committed to Ohio State. Ashton’s nickname became GS13 because he was seen as the next big thing at receiver in the area.

The Welliver clan is from Tacoma but Cole was set to follow in five-star Sam Huard’s footsteps at Kennedy Catholic in Bellevue. With high school football still under threat in their state, the Wellivers relocated and landed at Flower Mound Marcus. If Marcus was good enough for Doug Nussmeier to send his kid to, it’s good enough for JJ Welliver. That’s sound math.

Cozart is a silky smooth 6-2.5, 190 pounds who is quick in and out of his cuts. He has elements of a target receiver but he’s also good after the catch. He’s a fluid mover with good body control and quick feet. Maybe CJ Williams-ish for a comp, but perhaps with more speed. He has a very solid early offer list — TCU, Arizona State, Miami, etc. — and is hearing from a number of other schools, including Texas. Cozart has been in touch with Texas about an offer in recent days. He works with renowned skills trainer Margin Hooks.

His father relayed a funny story: “When he first started being recruited he asked if he could get a hoodie for schools who have offered. I thought, sure, but now that’s getting too expensive. He’ll get a Texas one, though, if that offer really does come.”

The 6-foot-6 Welliver throws one of the Titus spirals you’ll see. At his size and age (15) you expect mechanical inconsistencies, but when it comes together on a rep it’s a thing of beauty. He‘s just begun working with Kevin Murray so he’ll learn from one of the best in the state.

Welliver already holds offers from Arizona State, Washington State, Colorado, and FAU.

Cozart and Welliver grew up playing on the same youth teams together up yonder.

• Hook 'Em 2

(Eric Nahlin) An early look at the instate 2023 wide receiver class

Spoiler

The 2023 wide receiver group is receiving a lot of publicity of late and becoming known as “loaded,” perhaps even more so than the 2022 class. It’s early, but I’m personally not anywhere close to that belief.

There are indeed a ton of receivers to evaluate as these prospects typically emerge earlier for myriad reasons (quicker developmental curve, 7 on 7 format elevates and puts them in the spotlight), but loaded to me means an unusual amount of top-tier talent and I’m not seeing that at this point.

It should be noted I have Westlake star Jaden Greathouse as a flex TE and Shiner stud athlete Dalton Brooks as a clear defensive back projection (top-five player in the state, imo). If one considers them receivers, it’s going to color their view differently than mine, but it also takes away from each player’s ceiling.

What this class does have in abundance is bigger receiving targets. Finding bigger targets will be easy, but finding those who can create separation will be key. We should begin to get a better idea of that ability this weekend at the DFW Under Armour camp.

From an evaluation standpoint, across the board not just at receiver, this will be the most important junior season for a class I can remember. Right now, it’s slim pickings for elite prospects. An example of that statement, if we were to rank the class now, there would probably be only three offensive linemen in the state’s top 50. Just as receivers are early to emerge, o-lineman are typically late, so there is time, but normally we have many more viable candidates to parse at this juncture, especially in the two most recent classes.

On to receiver. These are my personal projections based on current info and will undoubtedly change in the coming days, weeks, and months ahead.

For sure Texas take

WR Jalen Hale, Longview (Longview, TX): Okay, this kid is a stud and belongs in the conversation with the best in 2022. I’d slot him with Jordan Hudson, which would put him around #8 overall in the state in 2022 but probably top-3 in 2023.

WR Ashton Cozart, North Richland Hills (Richland, TX): Plays big, plays small, good route runner, good hands, body control, and quick feet. Seems competitive. His dad was asking where they could go to work against the best corners in the state. Good sign. There’s also a very good chance he’s already sub-11 seconds in the 100m.

Likely Texas take

WR Jaquaize Pettaway, Langham Creek (Houston, TX): Early season track times aren’t great but the 100m time is dropping (11.3 to 11.1 to ?). He’s a deep threat on tape and has the chance to emerge as a legitimate must-have. Is he a better prospect than even Matthew Golden? Too early to say. Of course, developmentally, Golden has a very important year on Pettaway. I think that 100m time will keep dropping and he becomes someone the staff presses for, but he’s not a no-doubter to me at this point. He does hold an offer from the new staff.

WR Jonah Wilson, Dekaney (Houston, TX): Bigger kid who can get behind defenses. Already holds LSU and A&M.

WR Cordale Russell, North (Mesquite, TX): He certainly looks the part. On Sunday I thought he looked effortless on in-cuts for being a bigger kid and he picks up speed the deeper he gets into his route. Seems to have an extra when the ball is in the air.

WR Braylon James, Del Valle (Del Valle, TX): He’s similar to Wilson and Russell - good size and runs well.

Possible Texas offer

WR Lontrell Turner, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): The most elusive receiver in close quarters so far. He‘ll probably look like an offer his junior year.

WR Lonnie Adkism, Roy Miller (Corpus Christi, TX): Highly productive sophomore year but he might as well be playing in Arizona when it comes to competition level. He might actually be fast, though. Does a good job of locating and attacking the ball in the air.

WR Jordyn Bailey, Ryan (Denton, TX): He might have the best initial pop in the class. Colorado is his only offer but some fast verified times should change that. Keep in mind, thanks to Darrin Chiaverini, CU is good at identifying DFW WR talent early.

WR Johntay Cook, DeSoto (DeSoto, TX): Still growing and excellent, excellent ball skills and body control. But he didn’t show the game-breaking speed we were expecting to see as a sophomore, and at 6-foot, 170, you need speed. It wouldn’t surprise me if the new staff re-offered, but man, I was hoping his tape would light up more.

WR Kaleb Black, Oak (Klein, TX): Projects to a vertical slot or maybe outside receiver. I’d like to see verified times. He looks pretty fast on tape but doesn’t own eye-popping speed.

WR Bruce Mitchell, Lone Star (Frisco, TX): He’s listed as a receiver but I have him as a corner long-term. I’m leaving him here so I can say I do like the 2023 corner class. Overall it’s better than 2022.

Need more data

WR Montrel Hatten, Carthage (Carthage, TX): Solid length and hands, looks to be a decent route runner, but is he fast? Hopefully we get a speed time on him this weekend.

WR David Amador, North Shore (Houston, TX): Amador is worth mentioning in the same way John Paul Richardson (Ridge Point/Ok St) was in the 2021 class. He’s not likely someone Texas will take a hard look at but he could play at UT. He might be the fastest kid at North Shore per coaches there.

WR Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Temple (Temple, TX): He should probably look at playing DB but he works with Margin Hooks which will elevate his collegiate floor at receiver.

WR Randy Reece, South Oak Cliff (Dallas, TX): He’s SOC’s Roderick Daniels (2021 Duncanville) per a coach there. “We list him at 5-10” which means he’s 5-9. Good player but probably not a Texas target.

#####

The 2022 cycle is loaded to the point a long-time analyst doesn’t think UT should go out-of-state at the position, even for highly rated players. That analyst is correct, so long as Texas can land the right mix. Because the 2022 in-state crop is so bountiful, there are a lot of potential mixes.

The 2023 class doesn’t yet have that look, but again, it’s early and new names will emerge. But even then, are they the type of athletes Texas is looking for, or do more names simply make it easier for the Baylors and Techs of the world?

For UT’s purposes, hopefully they can get a number of these kids in a camp setting to better help sort them.

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Arch Manning's sister May Manning says she's attending UVA for whatever that's worth. I'm not sure if that matters for Arch, but I kept seeing people mentioning her as a volleyball prospect or something. Her Instagram says UVA '25

CTJ had a note about his sister earlier

7 hours ago, closetohumping said:

That Miller program went from totally geek to totally chic.

Their coach is a young guy that actually grew up in Corpus and turned that program around after he got hired at Miller. Also happens to be a gigantic asshole. He’s had VY-lite at QB the past few years though, interested to see how good he is now that the kid has graduated.

Cozart’s father, Chris, is originally from Red Oak but the military has taken the family all over. 
That explains the TCU dream school tag

Does it? It's possible this is the kids first time living in Texas. Even if they lived in Red Oak at some point, SMU is closer than TCU, doubt he went to a game in FW unless his dad grew up a frogs fan for some reason.

That explains the TCU dream school tag

Does it? It's possible this is the kids first time living in Texas. Even if they lived in Red Oak at some point, SMU is closer than TCU, doubt he went to a game in FW unless his dad grew up a frogs fan for some reason.

More likely, he’s just comfortable being around three dozen other “Ashtons” daily.

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Their coach is a young guy that actually grew up in Corpus and turned that program around after he got hired at Miller. Also happens to be a gigantic asshole. He’s had VY-lite at QB the past few years though, interested to see how good he is now that the kid has graduated.

He was head coach in Alice prior to Miller.  I think he pissed off too many people by trying to fuck every mom town.  He was having an affair with one of the (married) Assistant principals at Miller.  They had to ban her from the gym were his office was because she was constantly hanging around there and then made a scene at a banquet were I guess the coach brought a different date. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

He was head coach in Alice prior to Miller.  I think he pissed off too many people by trying to fuck every mom town.  He was having an affair with one of the (married) Assistant principals at Miller.  They had to ban her from the gym were his office was because she was constantly hanging around there and then made a scene at a banquet were I guess the coach brought a different date. 

LMAO.  And Miller is in a rough ass part of town.   Kind of surprised he would leave Alice for Miller.  

Edited by closetohumping

1 hour ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

User name etc.

16 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Alice was where the affair was at. It'd be ok to post those. 

Not according to dirty leg

29 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Alice was where the affair was at. It'd be ok to post those. 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I Googled Miller asst principals. Would it be shitty of me to post pics?  Yes, yes it would be.

She was reassigned.  I don’t know where she went.  

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

LMAO.  And Miller is in a rough ass part of town.   Kind of surprised he would leave Alice for Miller.  

I don’t think they were begging him to stay.  I think his manwhoring wore out his welcome. I also think he makes more money now than at Alice.  But I really don’t know.  

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
JC I cannot type this morning

2 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

I don’t think they were begging him to stay.  I think his manwhoring wore out his welcome. I also think he makes a more money now than at Alice.  But I really don’t know.  

Idk, could be right, but I think Miller is really poor, and Alice loves foot all.  Hell, I could be wrong. 

Mike Roach:  Longhorns in the hunt for elite 2023 cornerback Tony Mitchell

Spoiler

Longhorns in the hunt for elite 2023 cornerback Tony Mitchell

Mike Roach

Texas recently made the cut for the top cornerback in the country for the 2023 class.

When four-star Alabaster (AL.) Thompson cornerback Tony Mitchell trimmed his list to a Top 12, the Longhorns were right in the thick of it. Mitchell said the relationship he’s building with the Texas coaches and the excitement they are generating on the recruiting trail caught his eye.

“I’m building a good relationship with the coaches and coach Sark is already putting together a great 2022 class,” he said. “I’d love to help start that 2023 class with Reuben Owens. Texas is also just a great school and the environment is crazy.”

In the beginning of the recruitment, Steve Sarkisian was the main point of contact for Mitchell, but lately he’s been talking with cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph and area recruiter AJ Milwee.

“I’ve been talking to them a lot,” he said. “I’ve mainly been in contact with coach Joseph and coach Milwee.”

The position coach is one of the most important factors in any recruitment, and Mitchell said that he likes everything about Terry Joseph.

“I like everything about him,” he said. “He’s a very cool guy and he keeps it real.”

Mitchell will now start to look deeper into his Top 12 before he cuts the list down again.

“I’m just going to wait it out until I feel the time is right to narrow it down again,” Mitchell said.

At 6-foot-2, 180 pounds, Mitchell is ranked as the No. 1 cornerback in the nation and No. 3 overall prospect in Alabama for the class of 2023, according to 247Sports.

• Hook 'Em 2

Mike Roach:  Texas standing out for 2023 WR Johntay Cook

Spoiler

Texas standing out for 2023 WR Johntay Cook

Mike Roach

Johntay Cook was one of the best big play threats in Texas last season.

The 2023 wide receiver from DeSoto (Texas) was part of a lethal arsenal of weapons for the Eagles. With offers from every major program in the country, many schools are vying for his attention right now, and a few are standing out.

“Right now, I’ve got to say Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor and Alabama,” Cook said.

The Longhorns offered Cook last year after he made his varsity debut, and Steve Sarkisian re-offered shortly after being hired. Cook said the staff has done a great a job establishing relationships.

“It’s just how they are trying to connect with me and stay in touch with me and really trying to build a relationship,” he said. “I like that. And coach Sark’s offense at Alabama was amazing. I know he’s going to do it at Texas too.”

Cook has also been talking with Texas wide receiver coach Andre Coleman. The two have a good connection going back to his original offer, and Cook likes his laid back personality.

“He’s just laid back,” he said. “He’s a real chill dude. He’s really just trying to connect with me.”

Cook has been seeing the buzz around Texas in the 2022 and 2023 classes. While he’s high on the Longhorns, don’t expect a commitment any time soon.

“Me making a commitment early, probably not,” he said. “I’m probably going to commit after my junior season. I’ll know who really wants me because September first they can start calling. I can build real relationships and hopefully I’ll be able to go to some campuses.”

At 6-feet, 170 pounds, Cook is not currently ranked.

• Hook 'Em 2