Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Am I the only one who thinks hs coaches don't really give a fuck where their kids end up as long as they win and get scouted? It just seems stupid to think so and so went to aggy, so he's just going to send (athlete) to aggy. 

I don't think they have that kind of power over kids. Maybe some, but I think that's very few. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

(Mike Roach) Recruiting tidbits from UA Dallas camp

Spoiler

—Texas is establishing a bit of a pipeline at Arlington Martin, and I think they are trending very well for 2023 cornerback Javien Toviano at the moment. Toviano said that Texas has been on him hard for a while. I believe he wants to take visits but I could see him in the 2023 class.

—2023 Katy Morton Ranch defensive end David Hicks wants to take some visits this summer to a few national programs along with Texas and Texas A&M. Hicks grew up a Texas fan and his dad used to coach Jordan Elliott in high school. He grew up going to watch him play and could be another lean in that 2023 rankings.

—2023 Odessa Permian OL Harris Sewell said that he talks with AJ Milwee often and was honored to be offered by the new staff. He seems to be high on Texas but not in any rush to do anything. He wants to take a big share of visits this summer if he’s able to.

—I never counted Texas as a serious contender for Longview wide receiver Jalen Hale, and he told Horns247 that he hasn’t spoken with Texas lately. The Longhorns will have to make a big run to get back into this race.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Am I the only one who thinks hs coaches don't really give a fuck where their kids end up as long as they win and get scouted? It just seems stupid to think so and so went to aggy, so he's just going to send (athlete) to aggy. 

I don't think they have that kind of power over kids. Maybe some, but I think that's very few. 

To an extent, yes. But there’s some serious aggy hs coaching staffs out there that will do everything in their power to keep their stud away from UT. Just the way that sick fucked up cult is 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Suchomel- --- I’m damn near ready to put in a very early FutureCast for 2023 CB Javien Toviano after talking to him today. He’s not in a hurry and is going to let things play out, but that dude loves him some Texas. He’s the No. 3-ranked player on @Ketchum’s LSR list and looked the part today. Big, athletic corner.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I think there are a few programs who push there kids certain places but 99% don’t care and only want their kids to excel at the next level. 

• Like 1

IT

Spoiler

DB Jayvon Thomas, South Oak Cliff (2023): The Texas offer got his attention and he'll get plenty more of big-time offers over the next few years. He's got some work ahead, technical-wise at cornerback, but his athleticism is too good to ignore. Texas is the most recent offer for the Notre Dame legacy, and is squarely in the mix with Oklahoma and Baylor early on. ND should be calling any day now.

Bottom line: Notre Dame will play the family angle but he’s more likely to stay closer to home.

ATH/DB Javien Toviano, Arlington Martin (2023): If we had to pick UT's second pledge for the 2023 class, Toviano would be a good guess. The best corner on the field yesterday. He’s quick, fast, turns his hips, and explodes through the football. He might be a Top 5 in-state prospect for 2023.

Bottom line: Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson have helped tremendously.

WR Jalen Hale, Longview (2023): We’d go Texas A&M or OU for the four-star from ETX. Texas has slowed its pursuit of Hale, he told IT. That's certainly surprising because along with really good tape he looked damn good on Sunday.

Bottom line: Texas has a lot of ground to make up.
OL Andre Cojoe, Mansfield Timberview (2023): The recruiting process is enjoyable early for the 6-foot-6 offensive tackle. Texas was the first to offer the 2023 OT from Mansfield Summit on February 18, and Houston quickly followed suit. Those are his only two offers at this point, so the Longhorns are in early with the rising junior. He says he speaks with Texas “every now and then,” and has “really good conversation” when he does speak with Kyle Flood. Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks offered Cojoe, and those two keep up with him from Texas. He has heard from Baylor and Texas Southern in recent weeks. The process is young for Cojoe, so he’s just being patient and acquiring information.

Bottom line: That was a surprisingly quick offer. Flood definitely saw something he liked.

CB Jamel Johnson, Arlington Seguin (2023): The 6-foot-1, four-star corner performed well in his hometown, winning several of his one-on-one reps. Johnson has 20 offers including Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M. With 2023 recruiting rules, he has to call schools as opposed to schools calling him. Baylor wants him to pick up the phone often, but he recently was in contact with Jeff Banks. He has yet to speak with Terry Joseph or Blake Gideon. He gave positive reviews to the new UT coaching staff and is taking his time with the process.

Bottom line: The 2023 corner class is going to be a good one. Texas should be able to load up.

• Hook 'Em 2

TFB: Observations from Under Armour Camp

Spoiler

*** It was my first time getting to see Odessa Permian 2023 OL Harris Sewell in person. Sewell doesn’t pass protect much at his high school, so it was definitely interesting to see him compete far away from home and out of his element a bit. He more than held his own. 6’2-6’3 280ish. Already holds a Texas offer. 

*** It was a bit of a learning experience for Arlington Lamar 2023 OT Isaiah Robinson. It’s easy to see what makes him so attractive to so many P5 programs so early with his physical tools. Legitimate 6’5 270+. Holds a Texas offer.

*** Longview 2023 WR Jalen Hale was smaller than I was expecting (I was thinking 6’2-6’3 nearly 200lbs watching him on tape) but he certainly plays like a bigger WR at the catch point and has an impressive catch radius with his wingspan and athleticism. #6 on the 2023 Top 20. 6’0-6’1 175+. 

*** Waco Connally 2023 RB Tre Wisner debuted at #14 on my 2023 Top 20 list last week and after watching him compete on Sunday I may have him a little too low. Wisner was unstoppable in 1-on-1s and has all of the makings of a nationally elite prospect. He will be a major target for the Longhorns and Sooners. 5’11 175+.

*** DeSoto 2023 WR Johntay Cook II is as smooth as it gets when it comes to getting in and out of breaks. He lived up to expectations on Sunday against some of the best. Cook debuted at #15 on the 2023 Top 20. 6’0 175+.

*** North Mesquite 2023 WR Cordale Russell maybe impressed me more than any other young WR in attendance. “Baby T.O.” certainly looks the part and made some impressive grabs throughout the day. Buy stock now. Legitimate 6’2 185+. 

*** It was my first time seeing North Richland Hills 2023 WR Ashton Cozart and he did not disappoint. Big, fluid WR that routinely made defenders look silly on Sunday. His stock is starting to take off. 6’2 185+. 

*** Lovejoy 2023 WR Jaxson Lavender has my vote for top Slot option in the 2023 class at this early stage. Lavender is a speedster with excellent change-of-direction ability and sticky hands. His offer list is starting to expand quickly. 5’10 160+. 

DEFENSE

*** It was good to see what 2023 Katy Morton Ranch DE David Hicks Jr. brings to the table in person. He’s going to be one of the most coveted pass rushers in the country and he showed glimpses of why Texas, OU, Texas A&M, and Alabama have already offered.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

JW just retweeted this and 247 deleted a tweet stating we are trending currently. 

His rich family does not need any bags so fuck Georgia in their Smart ass.  So let's break this down.  He is not going to play for Joey Freshwater despite Grandpa Archie's legend.  He is not going to play for a scandal ridden LSU team led by the pussy chasing illiterate Cajun.  He is not close enough to his Uncle Peyton to go to the dumpster fire that is Tennessee.  Cutliffe is like family so Duke has a fighting slim chance.  Mack Brown, good God no.  Alabama and Buttchin, bad move.  Texas and Sark is the easy pick.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

(Mike Roach)

Mike at Night: Thoughts from my stop at Denton Ryan (2023 recuits)

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Thoughts from my stop at Denton Ryan

Mike Roach

— One of the most fascinating recruitments over the next two years will be that of 2023 Ryan linebacker Anthony Hill. The playmaking defender was one of the best pure players I saw on the field last fall. Texas has never been able to gain an upper hand in this recruitment offering Hill relatively late compared to his other suitors and struggling on the field. There's also a feeling that Hill wants to play in the SEC at the next level no matter what. Hill is a strong candidate for five-star status and should be one of the best defensive players in the entire country. Texas has some time, but they will need to change the narrative with him.

• Hook 'Em 1

His rich family does not need any bags so fuck Georgia in their Smart ass.  So let's break this down.  He is not going to play for Joey Freshwater despite Grandpa Archie's legend.  He is not going to play for a scandal ridden LSU team led by the pussy chasing illiterate Cajun.  He is not close enough to his Uncle Peyton to go to the dumpster fire that is Tennessee.  Cutliffe is like family so Duke has a fighting slim chance.  Mack Brown, good God no.  Alabama and Buttchin, bad move.  Texas and Sark is the easy pick.  
Sounds great. But it grandpa is shelling out money for cars and such, he will go where he is told.

9 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Texas would likely take itself out of the running though if it lands Ewers 

I wouldn't discount Bama. They just landed Ty Simpson because of BOB 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Fud said:

Texas would likely take itself out of the running though if it lands Ewers 

I wouldn't discount Bama. They just landed Ty Simpson because of BOB 

Did you mean in spite of rather than because?  If not, that dude must be a certified idiot.

5 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Did you mean in spite of rather than because?  If not, that dude must be a certified idiot.

I hate BoB like any good Texans fan should, but the guy was a successful HC at a bluechip and took some seriously shitty QBs to the playoffs with the Texans. He's not nearly the recruiting poison you think he is.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, maninblack said:

I'd be ok if it shook out that way

If you would have asked me two weeks ago, I would have preferred Arch over Ewers since there's a chance Ewers wouldn't beat out Card and would transfer, but now I'm thinking I'd prefer Ewers since he'd help bring Stewart back into the fold, would help flip Hudson, and would help land Hale in 2023 (assuming the staff wants him and pushes for him)

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I hate BoB like any good Texans fan should, but the guy was a successful HC at a bluechip and took some seriously shitty QBs to the playoffs with the Texans. He's not nearly the recruiting poison you think he is.

BOB's negatives, which include being a backstabbing political animal in the office, being a shitty game manager, and being a shitty roster manager, are mostly mitigated at Bama. Him being a massive asshole may or may not be mitigated. It remains to be seen if he'll be a difference making OC in college like Sark was, but at the very least he should be solid, and he can sell his NFL pedigree to recruits 

• Hook 'Em 2