Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Roach

Spoiler

—I spoke with 2023 Texas A&M commit Anthony James at his school today. James is still planning to visit Texas this summer, but he’s solidly committed to Texas A&M. His father wants him to get around and see the programs recruiting him and enjoy the process. James said he’s looking forward to meeting the new coaching staff and will need a strong familiarity with a group of coaches before even considering other programs.

—I spoke with a source near four-star 2022 running back Jovontae Barnes and four-star 2023 wide receiver DeAndre Moore. The Las Vegas (NV.) Desert Pines teammates are expected to visit Texas this summer. I don’t see the Longhorns as a front runner for Barnes at the moment but there is definitely some interest there. Moore is one of the most electric playmakers at wide receiver in the country and it’s important for Texas to make a big first impression with him.

11 hours ago, CHIEF said:

He looks much faster than that. Nobody is going to catch you with a 5 yards of separation at midfield, but you're not a burner.

CHIEF

He likely is faster than that. He might have been in a slow heat and just striding it out. It happens 

• Like 1

Wells

Spoiler

WR Braylon James, Del Valle (2023):

One of the most talented receivers in 2023 remained under the radar until Ohio State offered. Then Oregon.

The 6-foot-3, 175-pound four-star already holds 15 offers including Cal, Colorado, Arizona State, and Utah. Texas recently reached out to the sophomore receiver.

“I had a conversation with Coach Banks and he said something along the lines of scheduling an unofficial visit this June," said James. "They’ve really been dragging their feet though, but it’s all about patience though."

James looked great at the Under Armour Camp in Arlington in March. He has the skill set and size that college programs covet. He also has a great attitude and the ability get open at will.

James, who played his freshman year at Round Rock Stony Point, will likely be the go-to guy for Del Valle after the departure of Caleb Burton to Lake Travis.

It's probably a little early for Texas to offer, but I'd be surprised if they don't over the next year.

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

One of the most talented receivers in 2023 remained under the radar until Ohio State offered. Then Oregon.

This is so fucking stupid that I can't stand it. Motherfucker, he is a 2023 WR that has had p5 offers since Sept of last year. Hell, he had 9 P5 offers before tOSU. How is that under the radar? 

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's probably a little early for Texas to offer

No, it's not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Has Gerry said his thoughts on Arch's ranking?  ESPN is the only service that doesn't have a rating for him.  Rivals has him at #3 and 247 at #5.

No, but Gerry is all in on getting Arch to Texas, even at the (potential) expense of Ewers.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Machinator said:

No, but Gerry is all in on getting Arch to Texas, even at the (potential) expense of Ewers.

I’m not sure I agree with this....if Texas lands Ewers, Gerry will just want to say that it cost us a shot with Arch Manning. If we land Manning, then Gerry will bemoan not recruiting Texas Hs kids to Texas and going out of state. If we land neither Sark is just a fucking bum. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Has Gerry said his thoughts on Arch's ranking?  ESPN is the only service that doesn't have a rating for him.  Rivals has him at #3 and 247 at #5.

He thinks Manning might be the best QB in either class, and he realizes he was previously saying that about Ewers. He views both as Trevor Lawrence type of talents (not skill sets).

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not sure I agree with this....if Texas lands Ewers, Gerry will just want to say that it cost us a shot with Arch Manning. If we land Manning, then Gerry will bemoan not recruiting Texas Hs kids to Texas and going out of state. If we land neither Sark is just a fucking bum. 

Oh boy. This made me laugh, but he'd feel like Texas pulled off a coup with either guy. Apparently there's also a zero percent chance that they'd go to the same school. I'm fine with taking Murphy this year and busting ass to land Manning next year. 

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

Ewers helps with Hudson and (imo but some here don't share it, which is fine) with Stewart, and maybe in general in the loaded in-state class. So he'd arguably help with getting good talent into the program sooner. However, he's close enough behind Card in terms of classification to where he probably transfers if he's not starting by year two considering every 5* QB does that if he's not starting by year two nowadays 

The extra year of separation between Arch and Card makes that a more natural succession to me, and Arch would obviously also help in recruiting, albeit a year later, and probably more out of state than in-state since the in-state class is supposed to be weaker

Can't go wrong with either though, imo 

If Arch committed early enough, I actually think he'd help with 2022s too. His last name alone will get kids excited not to mention the talent. Especially WRs obviously.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Ewers helps with Hudson and (imo but some here don't share it, which is fine) with Stewart, and maybe in general in the loaded in-state class. So he'd arguably help with getting good talent into the program sooner. However, he's close enough behind Card in terms of classification to where he probably transfers if he's not starting by year two considering every 5* QB does that if he's not starting by year two nowadays 

The extra year of separation between Arch and Card makes that a more natural succession to me, and Arch would obviously also help in recruiting, albeit a year later, and probably more out of state than in-state since the in-state class is supposed to be weaker

No knock on Ewers at all, he is absolutely elite, but it's basically impossible to overstate the impact Arch Manning could have on our program.  Skillset, pedigree, perception... in the era of social media and travel teams, there hasn't been a recruit that could shift the entire direction of Longhorn football like Manning could.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

No knock on Ewers at all, he is absolutely elite, but it's basically impossible to overstate the impact Arch Manning could have on our program.  Skillset, pedigree, perception... in the era of social media and travel teams, there hasn't been a recruit that could shift the entire direction of Longhorn football like Manning could.

Chris Simms says hello. Say what you want about him during his time here, but when he committed, that changed the perception of UT football.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Quinn Ewers committing, bringing a fuck ton of Texas talent in a historical class with him, and winning a fuck ton of games would change the perception of UT football. 

No disagreement here that winning a fuck ton of games would do it.  But I'm talking about the buzz that a commitment would generate and the perception shift that would follow on a national level. 

And again, this is by no means a comment on Arch's talent vs. Ewers.  I'd kill to have either in burnt orange.  

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

No disagreement here that winning a fuck ton of games would do it.  But I'm talking about the buzz that a commitment would generate and the perception shift that would follow on a national level. 

And again, this is by no means a comment on Arch's talent vs. Ewers.  I'd kill to have either in burnt orange.  

I believe the 5 star QB, #1 recruit in the nation flipping from Ohio State to Steve Sarkesion and Texas, after already decommitting from Texas, and bringing along multiple 5 star talents with him would generate that buzz. Full stop. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I believe the 5 star QB, #1 recruit in the nation flipping from Ohio State to Steve Sarkesion and Texas, after already decommitting from Texas, and bringing along multiple 5 star talents with him would generate that buzz. Full stop. 

Fair enough.  We are comparing an A with an A+ in my mind.  I'd gladly take either.

but if Manning comes we get to have Applewhite vs. Simms debates all over again.  Card vs. Manning.  Local(ish - ya it's a stretch) talent vs. elite national player with name recognition.  Applewhite vs. Simms 2.0.

Card vs. Ewers won't allow for enough irrational stances.  I can't support it.

Edited by Jester

Wells

Spoiler

DL Anthony James, Wylie East (2023) (A&M):

Catching up with the junior-to-be defensive lineman and current A&M commit, a trip to Austin is in the works for June 18th. That's the big weekend where most of UT's commit and top targets will trip Texas. James, who holds 12 offers including Oregon, Florida State, Oklahoma State, and Arizona State, was offered by the previous Texas staff. Now, UT's new coaches want to get to know James.

"Just stay honest with me and I'll be honest with them," said James, about talking to the UT staff. "We are just getting started building the relationship. I know what coach Giles wanted, but can't wait to see why (Texas) wants to recruit me.”

James is familiar with the area, and lived in Austin for a good portion of his life.

“I lived there for six years and my grandmother lives there now," said James. "It's nothing new I haven't seen. I just want to get face-time with the coaches and see the campus.”

He might hit College Station for an unofficial in June, and says Oregon is really recruiting him the hardest right now. If anything, getting an A&M pledge to visit Austin in mid-June is a win.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Jester said:

but if Manning comes we get to have Applewhite vs. Simms debates all over again.  Card vs. Manning.  Local(ish - ya it's a stretch) talent vs. elite national player with name recognition.  Applewhite vs. Simms 2.0.

Card vs. Ewers won't allow for enough irrational stances.  I can't support it.

You're assuming Card gets hurt.

8 hours ago, Fud said:

Ewers and Arch are both starting year 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Not necessarily. Bryce Young and DJ Uiagalelei were the top two qbs last year and didn’t. Rattler was #1 in 2019 and didn’t. In 2018 the big two were Lawrence (who didn’t outright win the job until a few weeks in) and Fields. 

Maybe Ewers is on a different level than all those guys except Lawrence but I don’t think Manning is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Not necessarily. Bryce Young and DJ Uiagalelei were the top two qbs last year and didn’t. Rattler was #1 in 2019 and didn’t. In 2018 the big two were Lawrence (who didn’t outright win the job until a few weeks in) and Fields. 

Maybe Ewers is on a different level than all those guys except Lawrence but I don’t think Manning is. 

Ewers and Arch are not #1 QBs in their class they are #1 in their generation. Far beyond Bryce and Rattler. The only reason Lawrence didn't start game 1 is cause Dabo tried to get cute

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Ewers and Arch are not #1 QBs in their class they are #1 in their generation. Far beyond Bryce and Rattler. The only reason Lawrence didn't start game 1 is cause Dabo tried to get cute

You want to explain how 2 kids in the same generation can both be #1 in their generation? What're you some every QB gets a generational participation trophy? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

If Card is actually really good and starts this year, he’ll be a talented returning starter. I don’t think Ewers is a lock to beat him out in that case. And if Card is a two year starter, I really don’t think Arch is a lock to beat him out. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

Card is a two year starter, I really don’t think Arch is a lock to beat him out. 

And if he goes to Alabama he’ll have to beat out a two year starter in Bryce Young. Clemson will have Uiagalelei in the same situation. 

If he really is the third once in a generation talent in the last 5 years I guess that will be no problem. Or he can go to LSU or Miss and be named the starter immediately. If he want to sign with one of the heavy hitters though chances are he sits for at least a year. 

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You want to explain how 2 kids in the same generation can both be #1 in their generation? What're you some every QB gets a generational participation trophy? 

They're the best of their generation since Trevor Lawrence, Kyler Murray, Justin Ukelele, Justin Fields, and Bryce Young, which were generations of yore 

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

And if he goes to Alabama he’ll have to beat out a two year starter in Bryce Young. Clemson will have Uiagalelei in the same situation. 

If he really is the third once in a generation talent in the last 5 years I guess that will be no problem. Or he can go to LSU or Miss and be named the starter immediately. If he want to sign with one of the heavy hitters though chances are he sits for at least a year. 

I think most of these guys are fine redshirting and throwing in mop-up duty, as long as the guy ahead of them is a stud. They just really don't want to not start their second year. 

• Hook 'Em 1