Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

From The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/2651756/2021/06/14/arch-mannings-coach-on-qbs-tour-of-texas-and-smu-longhorns-just-a-great-fit-and-mustangs-impressed-too/

(Sam Khan Jr.) Arch Manning’s coach on QB’s tour of Texas and SMU: Longhorns ‘just a great fit’ (and Mustangs impressed, too)

Spoiler

The Arch Manning summer tour took a Texas two-step last week as the No. 1 quarterback in the 2023 class visited SMU and Texas.

And though it’s way too early to declare leaders for the services of Manning, the grandson of Archie Manning, nephew of Peyton and Eli, and son of Cooper, it’s clear that Texas coach Steve Sarkisian and the Longhorns made a strong impression upon Arch.

Nelson Stewart, Arch’s coach at Isidore Newman, told The Athletic that Sarkisian, quarterbacks coach A.J. Milwee and the Texas staff have done a marvelous job of building a relationship with Arch and have handled his recruitment “the right way.”

“It’s early in his recruitment, but no coach or staff has worked harder than coach Sark,” Stewart said Monday. “He has just worked tirelessly to build that relationship between the two. It’s all been authentic, they’ve been able to connect, and as the head coach, to make yourself that available, I think speaks volumes.”

When Manning met Sarkisian in person Friday, “it’s as if they already knew each other,” Stewart said.

Stewart said the Manning family, which was in tow for both of Arch’s Lone Star State visits, loved Austin. Arch told Stewart that it reminded him a lot of his hometown New Orleans and that it was one of the first things that resonated with him.

The Mannings explored the campus and athletic facilities, including a guided hard-hat tour of the new south end zone complex, which is undergoing a $200 million renovation. “There was certainly a lot of excitement around that,” Stewart said. Milwee showed Arch around and whenever the two had a video chat with Stewart, “(Arch) always had a smile on his face,” Stewart said.

Manning participated in Texas’ camp Saturday, getting to throw with several high-level recruits (the Longhorns hosted 10 prospects ranked in the top 50 of the 2023 class). One of them, Texas 2023 running back commit Rueben Owens II, has developed a friendship with Arch.

“Rueben’s been on him and he was excited he was there,” Stewart said.

Manning’s teammate at Newman, 2023 tight end Will Randle, also visited and worked out at Texas’ camp. Sarkisian called Stewart to praise Randle’s performance and informed the coach that Randle is on Texas’ recruiting radar.

The other talent on display made an impression on Manning.

“He told me that certainly, those are the fastest receivers that he’d ever thrown to,” Stewart said.

Texas pulled out all the stops, with several notable alumni on campus for the visit, headlined by Heisman Trophy-winning running back Earl Campbell (1977) and quarterback Vince Young (2005), who guided the ‘Horns to the 2005 national championship. Campbell is also a former Houston Oilers teammate of Archie Manning, and the chance for Arch to meet Campbell was “really neat,” Stewart said.

Arch had a chance to go deep into X’s and O’s talk with Sarkisian and Milwee, “going through installs and all the little details,” Stewart said. On Saturday night, the Mannings took in the Longhorns’ NCAA Super Regional baseball win over South Florida in a packed UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

It was a packed but satisfying weekend.

“Just a great fit,” Stewart said. “Texas certainly lived up to his expectations.”

Added Stewart: “I think it was very evident that Sark and A.J. and Texas put a lot of preparation work into making it a special experience and an authentic one.”

Before the Mannings visited Austin, they made a stop in Dallas on Thursday to take in SMU.

Randle, who has been offered by SMU, visited along with Arch. Both had been wanting to visit the campus, which Stewart said is a popular college destination for Newman graduates.

“While a little bit smaller, they said the coaches were so welcoming and outstanding,” Stewart said. “They loved their visit there.”

Randle emphasized to Stewart how nice the SMU coaching staff was. Arch didn’t throw at SMU but visited with the coaches and took a tour of campus. He “loved the campus, loved the coaches,” Stewart said.

“I think SMU is a school he has always liked,” Stewart said of Arch. “Will had been wanting to go through and see it and Arch did, too,” so they scheduled ahead of the trip to Austin.

“I think it’s great (Arch) can see as many places as possible,” Stewart said.

Manning returned to Newman on Monday and was ready to get back to work, Stewart said. The team ran stadium steps, practiced for an hour, which included going through about a half-dozen new concepts and some under-center work for Arch.

There are at least two trips left on Manning’s schedule this month: Alabama and Georgia. Stewart said Arch may squeeze in a trip to Auburn around the Alabama trip and possibly North Carolina, too, but Alabama and Georgia are the priorities before a recruiting dead period begins June 28.

If Manning is able to take a few visits following the end of the dead period July 24, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Stanford and USC are among the possible destinations, but nothing is finalized and he doesn’t want to miss any offseason workouts at Newman.

“If he’s able to get out for three or four days in July, I think he’d love it,” Stewart said. “But the key right now is trying to stay on point.”

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

From The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/2651756/2021/06/14/arch-mannings-coach-on-qbs-tour-of-texas-and-smu-longhorns-just-a-great-fit-and-mustangs-impressed-too/

(Sam Khan Jr.) Arch Manning’s coach on QB’s tour of Texas and SMU: Longhorns ‘just a great fit’ (and Mustangs impressed, too)

Hide contents

The Arch Manning summer tour took a Texas two-step last week as the No. 1 quarterback in the 2023 class visited SMU and Texas.

And though it’s way too early to declare leaders for the services of Manning, the grandson of Archie Manning, nephew of Peyton and Eli, and son of Cooper, it’s clear that Texas coach Steve Sarkisian and the Longhorns made a strong impression upon Arch.

Nelson Stewart, Arch’s coach at Isidore Newman, told The Athletic that Sarkisian, quarterbacks coach A.J. Milwee and the Texas staff have done a marvelous job of building a relationship with Arch and have handled his recruitment “the right way.”

“It’s early in his recruitment, but no coach or staff has worked harder than coach Sark,” Stewart said Monday. “He has just worked tirelessly to build that relationship between the two. It’s all been authentic, they’ve been able to connect, and as the head coach, to make yourself that available, I think speaks volumes.”

When Manning met Sarkisian in person Friday, “it’s as if they already knew each other,” Stewart said.

Stewart said the Manning family, which was in tow for both of Arch’s Lone Star State visits, loved Austin. Arch told Stewart that it reminded him a lot of his hometown New Orleans and that it was one of the first things that resonated with him.

The Mannings explored the campus and athletic facilities, including a guided hard-hat tour of the new south end zone complex, which is undergoing a $200 million renovation. “There was certainly a lot of excitement around that,” Stewart said. Milwee showed Arch around and whenever the two had a video chat with Stewart, “(Arch) always had a smile on his face,” Stewart said.

Manning participated in Texas’ camp Saturday, getting to throw with several high-level recruits (the Longhorns hosted 10 prospects ranked in the top 50 of the 2023 class). One of them, Texas 2023 running back commit Rueben Owens II, has developed a friendship with Arch.

“Rueben’s been on him and he was excited he was there,” Stewart said.

Manning’s teammate at Newman, 2023 tight end Will Randle, also visited and worked out at Texas’ camp. Sarkisian called Stewart to praise Randle’s performance and informed the coach that Randle is on Texas’ recruiting radar.

The other talent on display made an impression on Manning.

“He told me that certainly, those are the fastest receivers that he’d ever thrown to,” Stewart said.

Texas pulled out all the stops, with several notable alumni on campus for the visit, headlined by Heisman Trophy-winning running back Earl Campbell (1977) and quarterback Vince Young (2005), who guided the ‘Horns to the 2005 national championship. Campbell is also a former Houston Oilers teammate of Archie Manning, and the chance for Arch to meet Campbell was “really neat,” Stewart said.

Arch had a chance to go deep into X’s and O’s talk with Sarkisian and Milwee, “going through installs and all the little details,” Stewart said. On Saturday night, the Mannings took in the Longhorns’ NCAA Super Regional baseball win over South Florida in a packed UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

It was a packed but satisfying weekend.

“Just a great fit,” Stewart said. “Texas certainly lived up to his expectations.”

Added Stewart: “I think it was very evident that Sark and A.J. and Texas put a lot of preparation work into making it a special experience and an authentic one.”

Before the Mannings visited Austin, they made a stop in Dallas on Thursday to take in SMU.

Randle, who has been offered by SMU, visited along with Arch. Both had been wanting to visit the campus, which Stewart said is a popular college destination for Newman graduates.

“While a little bit smaller, they said the coaches were so welcoming and outstanding,” Stewart said. “They loved their visit there.”

Randle emphasized to Stewart how nice the SMU coaching staff was. Arch didn’t throw at SMU but visited with the coaches and took a tour of campus. He “loved the campus, loved the coaches,” Stewart said.

“I think SMU is a school he has always liked,” Stewart said of Arch. “Will had been wanting to go through and see it and Arch did, too,” so they scheduled ahead of the trip to Austin.

“I think it’s great (Arch) can see as many places as possible,” Stewart said.

Manning returned to Newman on Monday and was ready to get back to work, Stewart said. The team ran stadium steps, practiced for an hour, which included going through about a half-dozen new concepts and some under-center work for Arch.

There are at least two trips left on Manning’s schedule this month: Alabama and Georgia. Stewart said Arch may squeeze in a trip to Auburn around the Alabama trip and possibly North Carolina, too, but Alabama and Georgia are the priorities before a recruiting dead period begins June 28.

If Manning is able to take a few visits following the end of the dead period July 24, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Stanford and USC are among the possible destinations, but nothing is finalized and he doesn’t want to miss any offseason workouts at Newman.

“If he’s able to get out for three or four days in July, I think he’d love it,” Stewart said. “But the key right now is trying to stay on point.”

That’s by far the best Sam Khan, Jr. article I’ve ever read. Manning’s coach with some good second hand information.

Allegedly one of the big takeaways from this weekend regarding the Family Manning is the corporate reach in Austin versus other options. They have a family generational wealth entity structured to share and develop wealth across the full progeny of Archie's lot. They place Eli in NYC for a reason. They were interested in having him land at Texas for a reason. They're as savvy as anyone on the branding and endorsement front and they've already got a few JVs with some entities in Austin as a starting point. Texas checks a lot of boxes for them if Arch heads this way.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Allegedly one of the big takeaways from this weekend regarding the Family Manning is the corporate reach in Austin versus other options. They have a family generational wealth entity structured to share and develop wealth across the full progeny of Archie's lot. They place Eli in NYC for a reason. They were interested in having him land at Texas for a reason. They're as savvy as anyone on the branding and endorsement front and they've already got a few JVs with some entities in Austin as a starting point. Texas checks a lot of boxes for them if Arch heads this way.

Makes sense. Peyton and Eli have certainly never been shy about doing commercials..

NickKnacks: Behind the scenes from Texas' 2023 weekend

Spoiler

It was a busy weekend in Austin this past weekend with official and unofficial visitors in the 2022 class swarming to campus to get a look at the new Texas staff and the progress on the new Texas facilities.

However, probably the most notable thing happening over the weekend was the amount of talent in the 2023 class that made their way to Austin for Texas' junior weekend. For the class of 2023, almost every prospect had not been on a college visit before the month of June, making this a huge opportunity for Texas to set a solid first impression on the upcoming junior class.

To start things off, the recruits in attendance competed in an elite camp at Darrell K. Royal-Memorial Stadium early on Saturday morning. In talking to parents and sources inside the building, the camp had a lot of energy and was ultra-competitive with some of the best prospects in the entire 2023 class going at it.

All eyes were on how Arch Manning would perform and it's no surprise that he lived up to his hype. Multiple clips from inside the camp showed Manning firing deep shots to Johntay Cook and Rueben Owens. One source that said Manning threw approximately 30 balls and only two were off-the-mark. One of those two resulted in an interception from Malik Muhammad.

It was also of the understanding to everyone in the building that Rueben Owens lived up to his billing at the camp as this was the first time the new Texas staff was able to see him in-person aside from when Stan Drayton first offered him in January 2020. Owens' father spent the camp catching up with Cooper Manning as the two discussed ranging topics from their sons playing together at the next level to what each family thinks about Texas at this juncture. Owens' family also met back up with Anthony Hill's family on Saturday night after everyone had left the Texas campus.

Another name that impressed at the camp that doesn't currently hold an offer from Texas was Klein (Texas) Oak athlete Kaleb Black. Black is a versatile player that can play both sides as receiver and linebacker. His frame is elite for his age and it wouldn't surprise me to see more big-name programs throw their hat in the ring soon.

After the camp, the 2023 recruits participated in a photoshoot that consisted of putting on Texas gear and getting photos in the Hall of Fame in the North End Zone of Darrell K. Royal-Memorial Stadium. During the downtime of the photoshoot, recruits were able to chop it up with multiple Longhorn legends that made the trip in including Colt McCoy, Vince Young, Earl Campbell, Jamaal Charles, Michael Huff and more. The energy in the room was vibrant, so much so that the Texas coaches held off on moving on to the scheduled pool party for about a half-hour so that they wouldn't interrupt conversation going on in the building.

The consensus with most 2023 parents is that while all of the momentum in the world is in the Texas building, it'll be hard for recruits to tap into that next interest level until they can translate that product onto the field. One parent told me over the weekend that it'll be hard to gauge how serious Texas is until after their first two games of the 2021-22 season against Louisiana-Lafayette and Arkansas. That being said, that same parent reiterated that the Longhorns have done everything up to this point to appeal to her family and son.

While the day was huge in laying foundation in the 2023 class, it will always be tough to appeal to every recruit in the building. Some negatives from the trip that Horns247 has learned over the past few days was the crowdedness of the day and certain preferential treatment to particular recruits and not others. While those negatives aren't drastic and won't be enough to "lose" a recruit, it's something to note moving forward. It has been a huge transitional period for the staff as well as they learn how to best navigate the visit season, and recruits understand that.

All in all, this could be looked at in the future as the day that laid the groundwork in what could possibly be a huge 2023 class for Texas. The buzz is loud from recruits in the 2023 class right now about what is going on in Austin. The only thing left to do for the Texas coaching staff is to translate that momentum onto the field in August.

- Visitors included New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman five-star quarterback Arch Manning, El Campo (Texas) five-star running back Rueben Owens II, Denton (Texas) Ryan five-star edge rusher Anthony Hill, New Iberia (La.) Westgate five-star safety Derek Williams, IMG Academy (Fla.) four-star wide receiver Carnell Tate, Arlington (Texas) Martin four-star cornerback Javien Toviano, Wylie (Texas) East four-star defensive lineman Anthony James, Austin (Texas) Westlake four-star tight end Jaden Greathouse, Shiner (Texas) four-star athlete Dalton Brooks, DeSoto (Texas) four-star wide receiver Johntay Cook, South Oak Cliff (Texas) four-star cornerback Jayvon Thomas, Amarillo (Texas) Tascosa four-star defensive lineman Avion Carter, Odessa (Texas) Permian four-star interior offensive lineman Harris Sewell, Denton (Texas) Guyer four-star safety Ryan Yaites, Galena Park (Texas) North Shore four-star cornerback Jacoby Davis, IMG Academy (Fla.) four-star cornerback Malik Muhammad, Arlington (Texas) Seguin four-star safety Jamel Johnson, Duncanville (Texas) four-star safety Deldrick Madison, Denton (Texas) Guyer four-star safety Peyton Bowen and Flower Mound (Texas) Marcus three-star wide receiver Ashton Cozart among others.

• Hook 'Em 2

(CJ Vogel) 2023 Arlington Martin CB Javien Toviano High on Texas Following UOV

Spoiler

I have seen Toviano a couple times early on in his recruitment and the vibe I got each time was that he held Texas with rather high regards. That was the case this Saturday when he caught up with reporters following his time in Austin.

“It was incredible,” Toviano said of his visit. “It was a different vibe, a different culture. You could tell just being here in Austin it is different. I mean, Texas Football and its brand. It’s amazing to be out here.”

The message from pass game coordinator Terry Joseph is simple – come be a program changer.

“They told me I could change the defense. Just hearing that, that instills something in the back of my mind to stay here.”

Toviano, like many of the elite recruits in 2023 class, will have a busy month for the rest of June. He visited Norman on June 8 and has a few more visits lined up.

*** One thing I found interesting is Toviano told me he hopes to return to Austin again in two weeks.

The Arlington Martin pipeline is hoping to send its third Warrior to Texas in as many years following the signing of LB Morice Blackwell and commitment of LB Trevell Johnson. Toviano said he is close with both playmakers and talks often with each. He mentioned hoping to connect with Blackwell after leaving campus on Saturday and talking with Johnson prior to his visit next week.

As I mentioned previously, I think Texas is doing a great job here. The interest will always be there according to Toviano.

“They will always sit high for me,” Toviano said about Texas. “When it boils down to the last couple. they will definitely be in consideration.”

Returning to Coach Joseph, Toviano says the relationship is growing. The two were able to connect for a couple sit-down conversations on the visit. “We’re building a great relationship. He’s a great guy and you can tell he wants you to be great not only on the field but off the field as well.”

I connected with a source who attended the on-field workouts Saturday morning. The source said Toviano was far and away the top defensive back on the field. It’s uncommon for Toviano to get reps against the elite of the elite, as he does not play 7 on 7 and rarely attends those big training sessions/camps, but he certainly held his own on Saturday. In my opinion, this is a five star caliber corner.

• Hook 'Em 1

(CJ Vogel) Elite 2023 WR Johntay Cook Details Texas UOV

Spoiler

Perhaps the top wide receiver in the state was in Austin for the Elite Junior Day. DeSoto’s Johntay Cook has been a familiar name early on in the 2023 cycle and he left his visit with high remarks from his experience in Austin.

Texas is putting in work here and at the moment, I believe it is really paying off.

“Basically just how cool the coaches were,” Cook said about what really stood out to him on the visit. “I got to be with Rueben (Owens II) and Arch (Manning). They are two people that I have beens staying in close contact with. Whether it be over the phone, text, FaceTime or whatever it is.”

“It was just nice being in person and experiencing it all in person.”

As Cook mentioned, the trio of Manning, Owens and Cook has been something widely talked about among Texas boards and Twitter. Cook told me he talks with the Texas RB commit almost daily. The two of them have a pretty strong relationship early on.

As for Manning, Cook said he tries to keep in touch with him about once or twice a week.

“He’s real lowkey,” Cook said about Manning. “I try to keep in contact with him as much as I can to build that relationship. Hopefully he can be my quarterback one day.”

Outside of the two five stars Cook was able to spend time with, he also got to hang around Texas Head Coach Steve Sarkisian. The offensive wizard made a very strong impression in their first face to face meeting.

“Man, Coach Sark knows that offense,” Cook said. “He really knows that offense. He knows how to get his playmakers the ball and he actually knows what he is talking about. Just talking to him and listening to what he is saying, and realizing he actually knows what is talking about, like this stuff makes sense.

“Cause sometimes you talk to coaches and they just be talking. But listening to him, it actually makes sense. He’s putting stuff in perspective for me and I can run through it in my head and realize ‘this actually works.'”

Sark being able to point to the incredible success of the recent Alabama WR’s is something that is playing a big role for Cook. The two had a lengthy conversation about how the playmaker would fit into his offense and from the sounds of things it resonated well with Cook.

Another tidbit I’ll add, I asked Cook if there was another guy at the camp portion of the visit that stood out to him from a talent perspective. He gave Carnell Tate as his answer.

Cook still has a number of visits to take this month and obviously has a lot of time left before any decision needs to be made. But again, I am of the belief that Texas is up there right around the top of schools on his mind.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

WR Johntay Cook, Desoto (Desoto, TX) - 2023:

Cook and his parents made their way from south Dallas to Austin to experience everything Texas had to offer at both its camp and junior day, and saw exactly what he wanted to see from the trip down I-35. During his camp, he worked out with five-star prospect Arch Manning, whose ability opened the eyes of the top 60 prospect.

“It was wonderful,” Cook said. “Started off with a little workout, possibly working out with my future quarterback. Who knows? The kid has got an arm. The hype is real, I ain’t going to lie.”

The coaches made sure to let Manning, Cook, and Texas running back commit Rueben Owens spend a lot of quality time together. The trio had interacted with each other before, mostly in a virtual manner, but getting real face time instead of FaceTime via an iPhone was a good experience for the group.

“That’s definitely what they were trying to do, just trying to get all of us down here,” Cook said. “Specifically, me, Arch, and Rueben, to get together and bond and see how it would look. That’s what they got to see.”

Cook worked out in Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium with several other elite prospects and used the opportunity to see what it would be like to be coached by Texas wide receivers coach Andre Coleman. Cook and several other receivers ran routes and caught passes with Coleman and gave positive reviews to the experience. He also interacted with Steve Sarkisian, who Cook described as a chill dude who knows his football and play calling.

“I was basically feeling out his coaching style,” Cook said of Coleman. “I can definitely vibe with him. I can be good as a player and get better as a player.”

Coach Sarkisian also made a point to prioritize the Cooks.

“When I first got here, me and Coach Sark were just talking,” Cook continued. “Me, my dad, and my mom, and Coach Sark were just talking. He was just talking about how he really loved me and it’s good to finally see me in person and how he can use me in the offense.”

What about the off-field pitch? It was all about the hottest topic in college sports: Name, Image, and Likeness.

“They talked about the NIL,” Cook said. “They were talking about how Texas is one of the major schools in the country, definitely in Texas, that will pursue it. They’re going to make all their football players take a class to where they can get paid through the NIL. They talked about that.”

Cook didn’t share any upcoming visit plans after seeing the Forty Acres, but mentioned he knows how important joining a class with a quality quarterback is. He hung out with one all weekend while decked in burnt orange.

“I definitely need a quarterback to get the ball to me,” Cook said. “Arch is definitely one of those guys that I’m weighing my options with him, like maybe we can go here together, or maybe we can go here together. Texas might be leading the way for him. I don’t know because it’s not my recruitment, but you’ve always got to have a good triggerman.”

WR Ashton Cozart, Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) - 2023:

One of the state's top pass-catchers for the 2023 class made his way to Austin on Saturday for Junior Day.

The 6-foot-2, 175-pound Seattle transplant was eager to see what all the hype surrounding UT was about. They certainly made an impression.

“My first impression was like, yeah, this is definitely what Texas is about because everything is just bigger than ever," said Cozart. "They have won lots of championships and definitely attract top talent because everyone there was a 4- or 5-star, it seemed."

The camp setting is where Cozart thrives and he enjoyed the competition.

"I’d have to say getting to compete was the best part," said Cozart. "We only got four reps during one-on-ones though. I won both reps on the deep ball but both of them were underthrown. I found out from Coach Sark that at that level, against that talent, having two steps on a defensive back is considered wide open. I had a post and a slant that I won, too. Wish we could have competed longer and for more reps."

Just another reason the UT staff is fond of the former Washington-based prospect. He really enjoyed the film session.

“Getting to go over our film with Coach (Andre) Coleman was another best part," Cozart said. "I had no idea that was coming but I learned a lot from him. Coach Coleman seems to really like what I did and said he really likes what he sees because I can fit the scheme. I can play inside and out. He’s intense and expects a lot. I like that. He said we need to try and be perfect all the time.”

Cozart loves the direction the new staff is taking things in Austin.

“I feel like under the new staff, they’re really trying to get the program in the right direction," Cozart said. "It has me thinking a lot about things since we left.”

Leaving a lasting impression on a talented receiver target was exactly what UT needed to do.

WR Carnell Tate, IMG Academy via Chicago, IL (Bradenton, FL) - 2023:

One of the top players on campus this weekend that nobody paid too much attention to was the four-star .98 composite receiver from Chicago.

With 30 offers in hand including Michigan, Ohio State, Florida, and Notre Dame, Tate was eager to see Austin.

“The Texas trip was everything,” said Tate. “It was more than I expected. The slogan, ‘everything is bigger in Texas’ really displayed itself.”

Tate really likes Ohio State and Notre Dame, but the Horns staff showed him something over the weekend. So did UT's top quarterback target for 2023.

“Arch (Manning) is great," said Tate. "He’s definitely one of the best quarterbacks I played with and I haven’t played with many.”

Texas did well during this one-day journey for Tate, but they'll have to fight off some of the big boys in this sweepstakes.

Edited by Machinator

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Ok, well "Cash Cleveland" going to Ohio I understand

Cash’s older brother is a PWO at tOSU. Family is unpredictable as hell (older brother was supposed to go to TCU then North Texas before finally ending up at tOSU) so who knows where he will eventually go. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Really need Bill O’Brien to just show up and be himself this weekend. 

BoB: "Hell man, ya keep growin' and you'll be as tall as Brock Osweiler was, and we were able to win some games. No but seriously, it's like I tell all the players, it's all about what you can do for the team. Sure you might be a natural QB, but I need ya knowing the whole playbook because we may need you at WR. Versatility, I like to call it. You'll hear me say that word a lot, like, all the time. Versatility. Yah."

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'm pretty sure BoB knows how to turn on the charm in situations like this visit. Remember when he was a baller on Hard Knocks? Unfortunately for him, the Mannings will definitely have more inside info about him. Also, the reality is that he's unlikely to be there for Arch's career (either moving up to HC somewhere or getting fired) and that's an unknown variable I don't think the Mannings want to risk.

Texas vs. Clemson seems the most likely here imo. And other than near-term championship contention, I feel like we have the advantage in most of the main criteria (QB coach, city, academics, probably NIL although maybe not if Clemson keeps winning and we don't). But you never know.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm pretty sure BoB knows how to turn on the charm in situations like this visit. Remember when he was a baller on Hard Knocks? Unfortunately for him, the Mannings will definitely have more inside info about him. Also, the reality is that he's unlikely to be there for Arch's career (either moving up to HC somewhere or getting fired) and that's an unknown variable I don't think the Mannings want to risk.

Texas vs. Clemson seems the most likely here imo. And other than near-term championship contention, I feel like we have the advantage in most of the main criteria (QB coach, city, academics, probably NIL although maybe not if Clemson keeps winning and we don't). But you never know.

Wonder what the Manning's think of the respective depth charts?  Probably don't care, but so far we have Murphy, Bama has Simpson and Clemson has a three star kid.

20 minutes ago, Viper said:

BoB: Arch I can't wait to get you here at Alabama. Can you just imagine the G5 RB I could get for you in a trade?

I think you are giving BoB too much credit.  I'm thinking walk on RB for Arch maybe throw in a special teams gunner to sweeten the deal a little bit.

Just now, closetohumping said:

Wonder what the Manning's think of the respective depth charts?  Probably don't care, but so far we have Murphy, Bama has Simpson and Clemson has a three star kid.

Clemson has Klubnik. That 2021 3-star would be more equivalent to Charles Wright for us. So I don't think that swings it either way.

I remember reading Manning and Simpson are close friends though so I think that's actually a negative for Bama. Simpson won't start year 1 (Bryce Young) so really only one of them would be able to play.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Clemson has Klubnik. That 2021 3-star would be more equivalent to Charles Wright for us. So I don't think that swings it either way.

I remember reading Manning and Simpson are close friends though so I think that's actually a negative for Bama. Simpson won't start year 1 (Bryce Young) so really only one of them would be able to play.

Thanks.  Forgot about Klubnik.  Simpson is allegedly a stud.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

That 2021 3-star would be more equivalent to Charles Wright for us.

Bubba Chandler is really fucking good and his ranking is a victim of lack of camp evals and preference for baseball. As a RHP/SS, he's mocked to go first round in the July draft and won't likely make it to Clemson. Great eval by Dabo. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Bubba Chandler is really fucking good and his ranking is a victim of lack of camp evals and preference for baseball. As a RHP/SS, he's mocked to go first round in the July draft and won't likely make it to Clemson. Great eval by Dabo. 

Yep.  Chandler is a stud and Fangraphs has him rated the 16th best draft prospect.  Let's say he goes at 16, that's ~$4million.  No way in hell he's making it to campus.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

Yep.  Chandler is a stud and Fangraphs has him rated the 16th best draft prospect.  Let's say he goes at 16, that's ~$4million.  No way in hell he's making it to campus.

He can probably make close to that being QB1 for Clemson for 3 years, and stud college qb is probably a better lifestyle than low-level minor league baseball player.

(Justin Wells) Just In Time Evening News: 2023s recap Texas recruiting weekend

Spoiler

We catch up with a handful of junior targets that camped at UT recently, and a new name for this weekend in the ATX. Enjoy the evening news.

DB Ryan Yaites, Guyer (Denton, TX) - 2023:

One of the top defensive backs in-state for 2023 made his way to Texas last Saturday. After visits to Notre Dame and Oklahoma State the week before, Yaites wanted to see what Austin was all about.

“I had a great time,": said Yaites. "Campus was absolutely beautiful and the coaches showed a lot of love to me and my family. We really enjoyed it.”

Yaites is part of a stacked secondary at Denton Guyer and his offer list keeps growing. He's up to 13 verbal invitations including Texas, LSU, Notre Dame, USC, and Ole Miss. Yaites is being recruited at safety by most schools, including the Horns, but the Fighting Irish like him at corner.

“What stood out to me was definitely coach (Blake) Gideon," Yaites said. "He's been doing a good job recruiting me and I feel like we have a strong connection.”

The in-state crop of corners and safeties continues to grow and Yaites' versatility and size really stands out to the Longhorns coaches.

I'm eager to see Guyer in 2021 because UT has its claws in a number of Wildcats' prospects. Speaking of....

DB Peyton Bowen, Guyer (Denton, TX) - 2023:

Yaites' teammates at Denton Guyer, Peyton and Eli Bowen, also made the trip to UT on Saturday. All three will start for Guyer this fall.

Peyton, at 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, picked up a Texas offer a few months back and getting to Austin was imperative for the four-star safety.

“It was cool and laid back," said Bowen. "Coach (Blake) Gideon is great as a coach. He’s cool and can tell you what you need to fix and correct. Seeing the former players that came was dope. Met Jamaal Charles and Vince Young."

Bowen has seen his stock rise over the spring, adding 19 offers including Texas, OU, Notre Dame, LSU, and TCU. He recently tripped to Notre Dame for an unofficial, and hopes to see a few more campuses this summer. Texas left a strong impression on the Guyer product who ran a 22.71 200 as a sophomore, and was named district 5-6A Co-Defensive Newcomer of the Year in 2020.

"All in all, I had a great time at the camp taking pictures and talking to the coaches," Bowen said.

His little brother, Eli, is a 2024 cornerback who will start for a loaded Guyer defense in 2021. And both want to return for a game this fall.

ATH Kaleb Black, Klein Oak (Conroe, TX) - 2023:

One junior prospect that turned heads last Saturday was the 5-foot-9, 165-pound Conroe-based athlete. Black soaked up all the coaching he could.

“It was awesome," said Black. "I really enjoyed it. The coaches and everyone were great.”

He was named district 15-6A Offensive Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore at Klein Oak after moving from Cy-Creek his freshman year.

Black flashed some skill and athleticism during the camp and caught the attention of the UT staff. He holds four offers - Wisconsin, UH, Kansas, Tulsa - and hopes to add to that list soon.

“The coaches really make you feel like you’re at home," said Black. "And they give advice on and off the field. Everyone that I met on campus seemed nice. I really hadn’t seen anything else in Austin but the campus, and it is beautiful.”

Black projects at wide receiver but some schools see him at corner. Either way, he's one to watch.

DL Ashton Porter, Cy-Ranch (Cypress, TX) - 2023:

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound prospect from the Houston area was scheduled to visit Texas last Saturday, but had a change of plans. He re-scheduled and will now trip to Austin on Saturday.

The four-star future EDGE holds 11 offers including Texas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Cal, and Arizona State after tallying 32 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, four sacks, and two forced fumbles in 2020 and was named unanimous 16-6A first-team all-district as a sophomore. He took an unofficial to Baylor today, and it ready to see Austin.

Porter tells IT he's eager to see what the University of Texas has to offer. He recently visited Alabama and Clemson, so the bar is high. We'll have more from Porter later this weekend.

I love the bizarre twist as a negative of “outrageous expectations” by other programs. Oh, you mean the expectation to win a fuck ton of games? To be successful? Yeah, no shit. Oh noes the pressure! First off, that’s everywhere or even places like Rutgers and UConn and Kansas wouldnt fire coaches every 4 years. Second, everyone isn’t trying to build a program bama or Ohio state or clemson? Bullshit. What a stupid fucking position to take. Of course it’s LSU, which might actually make OU look like academically credible. I mean it doesn’t but you clowns get the point. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I love the bizarre twist as a negative of “outrageous expectations” by other programs. Oh, you mean the expectation to win a fuck ton of games? To be successful? Yeah, no shit. Oh noes the pressure! First off, that’s everywhere or even places like Rutgers and UConn and Kansas wouldnt fire coaches every 4 years. Second, everyone isn’t trying to build a program bama or Ohio state of clemson? Bullshit. What a stupid fucking position to take. Of course it’s LSU, which might actually make OU look like academically credible. I mean it doesn’t but you clowns get the point. 

ronald mcdonald yes GIF by McDonald's CZ/SK

• Haha 1