Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Imagine immigrating to America from Tanzania, imagining New York or LA or even a nice suburban town in Texas or Florida or wherever, and ending up in Saint Louis.
(Ditto with Adeoye and Nigeria I suppose)
Depends on what part of Saint Looey...even Detroit still has some nice burbs.

Roach

Spoiler

—I spoke to a high school recruiting coordinator who talked with Texas quarterbacks coach AJ Milwee today. We don’t know much about Milwee as a recruiter, so I was curious to hear this coach’s perspective. The two connected for a long conversation about this coach’s prospects and I’m told that the conversation was more than just an introductory thing. Milwee asked questions intended to carry out a thorough evaluation of his prospects. This coach mentioned that the prior staff didn’t communicate nearly as well and he was encouraged by this interaction.

—Speaking of Milwee, I’m told he also reached out to Cedar Hill High School today to look into 2023 quarterback Cedric Harden. Harden is next up after backing up Tennessee signee Kaidon Salter last year. Harden is such a promising prospect that Cedar Hill featured him in a few offensive packages this year to get him on the field. The 2023 quarterback class is going to be loaded with talent nationwide, but Harden will be a big name to keep an eye on.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Definitely want Rueben Owens as our 2023 RB take. I wonder if we'll take 2 or just one? I think we're taking two this year, but not sure if it goes 1-2-1 etc. 

My guess would be two because when he hits campus we'll only have Brooks, Blue and Miller on scholarship. 

5 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Definitely want Rueben Owens as our 2023 RB take. I wonder if we'll take 2 or just one? I think we're taking two this year, but not sure if it goes 1-2-1 etc. 

Absolutely. I was watching the Hudl highlights for the top 5 RB 2023 RB recruits on 24/7 , and he is way ahead of any other on that list. 

• Like 1

Justin Wells notes on a couple recruits at Pylon 7v7:

Spoiler

WR Cordale Russell, North Mesquite (2023):

Impressive frame and game for the sophomore. Mississippi State, Tennessee, and Arkansas are his early offers. He’d love to hear from the Texas staff. He probably should.

QB Jake Strong, Justin Northwest (2023):

He’s in the early stages of his recruitment, but Texas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Texas A&M have started reaching out to the 6-foot-2 signal-caller. He’s got great mechanics, good arm, and decent touch. I’ll be watching him closely.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:00 PM, Machinator said:

I watched his highlights from that 247 link. He already shows some good vision and once he makes a cut he gets up field in a hurry. I don’t know what level of competition those highlights were against but for a freshman that kid is on his way to being a bad ass. That comment by brooks about “functional top end speed” in his scouting report seemed odd. To me it looked like the kid is a home run threat. I don’t have a clue what his 40 or 100 are though to be fair. 

7 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

I watched his highlights from that 247 link. He already shows some good vision and once he makes a cut he gets up field in a hurry. I don’t know what level of competition those highlights were against but for a freshman that kid is on his way to being a bad ass. That comment by brooks about “functional top end speed” in his scouting report seemed odd. To me it looked like the kid is a home run threat. I don’t have a clue what his 40 or 100 are though to be fair. 

Hard to judge his top end speed, as the competition he plays against in 4A isn't full of speedsters. And he hasn't posted any great numbers on the track. 

That said, his vision, burst, and cutting ability are all outstanding. His tapes from his freshman and sophomore seasons are outstanding, and he will for sure end up as one of the top backs in the 2023 class.

IT

Spoiler

WR/TE Jaden Greathouse, Austin Westlake (2023): Still feeling great after his performance in the 6A-DI State Championship, the sophomore who already burst on the scene two years ago still has a ways to go to until his National Signing Day.

Early offers, like Texas and Oklahoma, came to the 6-foot-2, 210-pound receiver after helping the Chaparrals to the state title in 2019. He’s added Penn State, Arkansas, and Baylor along the way and hears from other top P5 programs.

“I talk to Oklahoma the most,” Greathouse says. “But, honestly I haven’t talked to many since football started for us and them. I’m hardworking, focused on helping the team in any way I can. Looking for a place where I can make an immediate impact but is also a competitive environment.”

The 247 four-star has tallied 1,860 yards receiving and 23 touchdowns on 116 catches in his first two seasons on the varsity.

“A new UT offer would mean so much especially being from Austin and playing for Westlake," said Greathouse. "We have a great tradition of the Westlake-to-UT pipeline and I’m super pumped for Zane (Minors) and Michael (Taaffe) to commit there.”

• Hook 'Em 1