Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

17 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Sark and co, at least based on 2021, would prefer to go big game hunting than grab a few of these for momentum purposes.

Yeah, and while in-state talent in Texas is good for 2023, if they're really going "big game hunting" Texas might need more out-of-state commits for 2023 than what they got in the 2022 Class...

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Someone let Searels take the team credit card to the mall again

OU used an almost identical design for their welcome sign for recruits this weekend.  Further proof there's little to no difference in any of these creative positions.  Let's see drone footage, reflected neon hallways in tinted visors, and let's make absolutely sure we show how "icy" our whites all are...

51 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

that keeps Owens, Cook, and probably some others from committing to Texas

You may already know this, but if you don't, FYI, neither of them is attending the Junior Day.

- Owens is in Miami, for a 7 on 7

- Cooks is going to A&M (note - their official Junior Day is next weekend;  they just have a bunch of commits coming this weekend, too)

Blowing off our Junior Day to go hang out in College Station doesn't portend well.

Maybe if we blow the doors off with Ewers/Worthy/Neyor/Thompson, etc., the wide receiver high school recruiting situation will turn around.

Next weekend - what J Cook taketh away, J Cook giveth?

image.thumb.png.c3bd0f6addad11881189baa7b343b1f4.png

Edited by Getafix

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We went 5-7, our recruiting department is not good, our DC has the sword of Damocles hanging a millimeter from his neck, just to start.

Texas finished with a Top 5 recruiting class in '22.

Texas currently has anywhere from 100-120 '23 and '24 recruits visiting this weekend.

Maybe you need to stop being a Yankee asshole when people question what IT is saying and dial back your satyanash because your gash is starting to show. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Texas currently has anywhere from 100-120 '23 and '24 recruits visiting this weekend.

Maybe you need to stop being a Yankee asshole when people question what IT is saying and dial back your satyanash because your gash is starting to show. 

The first point was thanks to an almost unfathomable amount of luck with coaching turnover turning a bunch of silver and bronze medals into gold. 

As for the second, where's almost the entire in-state top 25? Not in Austin.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You can’t ask questions here. . . 

ITS AGAINST THE LAW

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

The first point was thanks to an almost unfathomable amount of luck with coaching turnover.

As for the second, where's almost the entire in-state top 25? Not in Austin.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

Your first point is valid. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than to be good. I'm not sunshine pumping here, but you can't discount the fact that a team with a 5-7 record was able to sell something to these recruits.

As for the second point, dude it's pretty much the beginning of the recruiting cycle. Texas has two new position coaches who are plus recruiters. You know better than most that recruiting is a marathon and not a sprint. I expect the top in-state recruits to eventually make it to the 40 Acres for visits and those visits will probably have fewer recruits where they receive more attention unlike these large junior day events. 

In short,

Take It Easy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

With all the major job changes that got this staff lucky in 2022 hopefully they can get the same for 2023. 

Not really. It actually means we’re gonna be going up against more coaches who get the first year bump in 23. 22 class was the windfall. 

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why are we though? 

Because Sark just went 5-7 in his first year. Recruits tend to react to results on the field the year before, so going 5-7 hurts us more with 23 than it does with 22. 

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Lulz. Nice ignorance here. We got incredibly lucky with the top 5 class last year.  There are still fundamental issues with our recruiting/support staff, but hopefully Choice and Marion can give us a jolt.

It’s not doom and gloom right now, but Things won’t be nearly as easy this year as they were last year, and we’re already having a junior day without a lot of top targets coming in. Also not the end of the world but it’s not a positive data point for the 23 class. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm not sunshine pumping here, but you can't discount the fact that a team with a 5-7 record was able to sell something to these recruits.

Results hit a year later. We didn’t really have to pay for going 5-7 that much in the 22 class. 23 is where it will hit. That’s how it always works. 

50 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hooks' high school trainees all seem to have incredibly convoluted recruitments.

FIFY. Neyor's was very convoluted too, just worked out in our favor for once.

But seriously, I think every one of his trainees this cycle had at least one decommitment. Stewart, Hudson x2, Winfield, Shettron, Stefon Johnson, Neyor..

So yeah, Cook was clearly destined for this path. Him skipping our Jr Day to go to A&M who he's publicly talked shit about is just further evidence.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Results hit a year later. We didn’t really have to pay for going 5-7 that much in the 22 class. 23 is where it will hit. That’s how it always works. 

We just need to go 8-4 this year so we can get the highest rated recruiting class ever with 8 Five Stars.  I believe that is this way this works but I am not a recruiting expert.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

We just need to go 8-4 this year so we can get the highest rated recruiting class ever with 8 Five Stars.  I believe that is this way this works but I am not a recruiting expert.

Ha yeah. If you’re willing to pay stupid amounts then in field results won’t matter, which is actually one of the bright spots for us. Continuing to increase our NIL and selling it to recruits can make up for 5-7. 

58 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Need to pay.  TAMU probably paid Cook nice monies to have him skip our junior day.

I fully expect another early round of WTF early commits from some of the top guys in state. It has been that way for a few years now. We need to figure out some way to stem that early push that Jimbo always does to get his class going. In my opinion, bags need to come out at the beginning and end of the cycle. The rest should be NIL driven, but we still need the bags for the next few years until the deathstar is complete. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I fully expect another early round of WTF early commits from some of the top guys in state. It has been that way for a few years now. We need to figure out some way to stem that early push that Jimbo always does to get his class going. In my opinion, bags need to come out at the beginning and end of the cycle. The rest should be NIL driven, but we still need the bags for the next few years until the deathstar is complete. 

Same... hope we have a new plan for 2023...