Climate Change Town Hall - CNN

Neonmoon

Biden just got pantsed by this Northwestern grad student. Called him out for a fundraiser with some Oil and Gas guy. Biden said he wasn’t oil and gas. Anderson Cooper confirms he is. Biden said he would have to look into it 

Edited by Neonmoon

Joe Biden has been in Washington D.C. for 45+ years. This is his third presidential campaign, the first coming over 30 years ago. He has had incredibly horrible family tragedies in his life. 

His mind, understandably, is fading. Shit, I'd be dead by now if I lived Joe's life. We also have to remember that if he's elected POTUS he wouldn't even start for almost a year and half from now. 

Respectfully, he's not fit to be President. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Warren keeps saying science will solve the problem.

It’s really the deployment of the science that is the challenge.  The science is pretty much there. Converting the energy supplies in the public and private sector will be difficult when the fossil fuel giants have a stranglehold on the markets and the lawmakers. 

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s really the deployment of the science that is the challenge.  The science is pretty much there. Converting the energy supplies in the public and private sector will be difficult when the fossil fuel giants have a stranglehold on the markets and the lawmakers. 

Did I miss a memo? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Did I miss a memo? 

Well cold fusion hasn’t been perfected yet but wind, solar, hydroelectric, geothermal, and nuclear (if you count nuclear) do kinda work already.  

I guess it depends on which sector of the energy market you think the science can’t handle. 

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Well cold fusion hasn’t been perfected yet but wind, solar, hydroelectric, geothermal, and nuclear (if you count nuclear) do kinda work already.  

I guess it depends on which sector of the energy market you think the science can’t handle. 

I was referring to the intermittency problem as it relates to storage capacity. As far as I know they haven’t solved the battery problem yet. Now if you supplement with Nuclear, then that bridges gap. 

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Well cold fusion hasn’t been perfected yet but

Fusion is so close. This is where a big chunk of the money needs to go. This could be our generation's moon landing.. or we can cover the planet in solar panels and turbines that will never keep up anyway because people are scared of fission.

Http://www.forbes.com/sites/arielcohen/2019/01/14/is-fusion-power-within-our-grasp

Edited by B00M

29 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I thought environmentalists despise nuclear power (fission kind).  Wind and solar aren't even close to being commercially viable everywhere.

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Bernie's GND plan excludes nuclear power and since I'm an engineering nerd (O&G by trade, but that's just where the money is) that offends me greatly. Fast-tracking GenIV reactors would be my play for long-term consistent production.

Petroleum or Chemical?

Beto reminds me of a motivational speaker, great style but severely lacking in substance.
He sucks at being concise. He just can't do that or nuance. I went to several town halls and he would have the audience then ramble on and take a position too far.
It was frustrating.
Encouraging because I feel like he's honest and not pandering.
But frustrating because he loses so many voters.

Ex A -comments on Oil industry in Texas tonight. Houston would still have massive industrial refineries even under the most aggressive green plan.

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Joe Biden has been in Washington D.C. for 45+ years. This is his third presidential campaign, the first coming over 30 years ago. He has had incredibly horrible family tragedies in his life. 

His mind, understandably, is fading. Shit, I'd be dead by now if I lived Joe's life. We also have to remember that if he's elected POTUS he wouldn't even start for almost a year and half from now. 

Respectfully, he's not fit to be President. 

I agree he'd make a much, much better president than Donald Trump. 

by the way, I've seen the man in person, he will bring tears to your eyes with his love your fellow countryman speech for LGBTQ equality.  well maybe not if you're straight or a dude, well gay men do cry a lot, some evolved straight men do too but they would be accused of being a cuck here so maybe they wouldn't admit it, but in any event it's a great speech.  after the speech he touched me and smiled as he left the building.  it was a moment for sure. he's quite the looker in person.  sigh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, B00M said:

Fusion is so close. This is where a big chunk of the money needs to go. This could be our generation's moon landing.. or we can cover the planet in solar panels and turbines that will never keep up anyway because people are scared of fission.

Http://www.forbes.com/sites/arielcohen/2019/01/14/is-fusion-power-within-our-grasp

2050 is not close given we need something working before 2030 and start construction. It has always been 30-40 years out during my lifetime, and my evaluation is that it is not viable at all, not without some sort of breakthrough that leads to a factor of 10 improvement in efficiency. Most researchers are working on incremental improvements not trying to find the 10x breakthrough we need.

We also have to use lithium to make the tritium to fuel fusion reactors, the same lithium that is going into car batteries. For fusion to be viable we need to double the known lithium reserves or stop using lithium in batteries. We need excess neutrons from fusion reactions to convert lithium to tritium, so that is part of the efficiency problem on top of heat transfer and turbine efficiency issues.

My plan is to figure out how to make electrons and protons without making antimatter as lots of energy should be available from that process whatever it is. I don't buy the idea that electrons and protons have existed for infinity, so we should be able to figure out how to make them. Unfortunately I don't have the resources to get my lab up and running at this moment.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RayDog said:

2050 is not close given we need something working before 2030 and start construction. It has always been 30-40 years out during my lifetime, and my evaluation is that it is not viable at all, not without some sort of breakthrough that leads to a factor of 10 improvement in efficiency. Most researchers are working on incremental improvements not trying to find the 10x breakthrough we need.

We also have to use lithium to make the tritium to fuel fusion reactors, the same lithium that is going into car batteries. For fusion to be viable we need to double the known lithium reserves or stop using lithium in batteries. We need excess neutrons from fusion reactions to convert lithium to tritium, so that is part of the efficiency problem on top of heat transfer and turbine efficiency issues.

My plan is to figure out how to make electrons and protons without making antimatter as lots of energy should be available from that process whatever it is. I don't buy the idea that electrons and protons have existed for infinity, so we should be able to figure out how to make them. Unfortunately I don't have the resources to get my lab up and running at this moment.

FWIW:

A new report from Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) suggests that the expected shortfall in lithium supply, and therefor a rise in battery prices, is not happening. Instead, there is a glut, and it is forcing prices down.

This is the result of six new lithium mines opening in Australia (the world’s largest supplier of lithium), just as the Chinese EV market has dipped. This has resulted in a glut of lithium ore supply as EV production in other countries is still ramping up, so it is not yet needing the extra material.

According to the BloombergNEF report, prices have fallen 30% from their peak and the bottom is not yet in sight.

https://thedriven.io/2019/08/25/lithium-glut-could-see-electric-vehicle-battery-costs-fall/

https://www.google.com/search?q=lithium+mines+australia+glut&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS773US773&oq=lithium+mines+australia+glut&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.12949j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, B00M said:

Seems like cold fusion has "been close" for 30 years now.  If we can actually achieve it:  ballgame.  I have doubts it'll happen in the next 20 years, though.  Hope I'm just ignorant of it all. 

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bullshit, science isn't anywhere near there and won't be for at least another century.  So you want to get rid of oil, coal, and all other fossil fuels.  Okay, how are people going to go anywhere?  Electric cars?  How are you going to build them?  Factories need a consistent source of power and plenty of it.  What are these cars going to be made out of?  Metal?  Solar and wind don't power things that need to run underground and that is where the ores that comprise metals are at. Are we going to go back to the 1800s and dig it up by hand?  Plastic?  I thought you were trying to get rid of things made with petroleum.  By the way, you know what else runs on fossil fuels?  Tractors and combines, anyone ever see one run on solar, electricity, or wind?  Without those how are you going to feed a nation of 330 million people?  I haven't even touched the question of how are you going to replace every single item made out of plastic that we use in our world. 

Our planet will still be just fine and dandy ten years from now, twenty years from now, thirty years from now, and long after every single nitwit screaming that the world is going to end in the next decade or two has died.  The only threats this planet could face in the foreseeable future are stupid governments and politicians starting a nuclear war somewhere, a collision with an asteroid or something else from space, or the volcano underneath Yellowstone going boom, which no environmentalist has answer for anyway.

And in case anyone cares, no I did not watch one single second of this idiocy on CNN last night.  I would have rather watched a seven hour long infomercial on edible, glow in the dark butt plugs.  Those would be more useful than anything proposed by these idiots would be.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Bullshit, science isn't anywhere near there and won't be for at least another century.  So you want to get rid of oil, coal, and all other fossil fuels.  Okay, how are people going to go anywhere?  Electric cars?  How are you going to build them?  Factories need a consistent source of power and plenty of it.  What are these cars going to be made out of?  Metal?  Solar and wind don't power things that need to run underground and that is where the ores that comprise metals are at. Are we going to go back to the 1800s and dig it up by hand?  Plastic?  I thought you were trying to get rid of things made with petroleum.  By the way, you know what else runs on fossil fuels?  Tractors and combines, anyone ever see one run on solar, electricity, or wind?  Without those how are you going to feed a nation of 330 million people?  I haven't even touched the question of how are you going to replace every single item made out of plastic that we use in our world. 

Our planet will still be just fine and dandy ten years from now, twenty years from now, thirty years from now, and long after every single nitwit screaming that the world is going to end in the next decade or two has died.  The only threats this planet could face in the foreseeable future are stupid governments and politicians starting a nuclear war somewhere, a collision with an asteroid or something else from space, or the volcano underneath Yellowstone going boom, which no environmentalist has answer for anyway.

And in case anyone cares, no I did not watch one single second of this idiocy on CNN last night.  I would have rather watched a seven hour long infomercial on edible, glow in the dark butt plugs.  Those would be more useful than anything proposed by these idiots would be.

Correct, but being able to systemically reduce our dependency on fossil fuels is a more achievable goal. Getting gas powered cars off the grid would be a good step in the right direction.  Heavy machinery isn't nearly the issue cars are I'm betting.

And the science may be there, but the applicable real life applications aren't in an economically viable way yet.

I believe in climate change, but I just don't see how you can eliminate the fossil fuel industry in 10 years time without drastically harming millions and wrecking the economy. Texas, especially. I know that the Green New Deal tries to account for job training, housing stability, income stability, etc., but why should the people trust that? The government can't even take care of its veterans properly. What makes me think that they can take care of the literally millions of people who will need assistance when an entire job sector is wiped clean?

I work in the O&G industry. I have also worked in renewables. I left renewables because O&G paid way more. In fact, it pays the most for what I do. Everything else pays half or less. I am one of tens of thousands in Texas, possibly over 100k nation-wide, for my specific job. And that is just one very small segment of the O&G industry. I have an education, working on an advanced degree, and have some career mobility, but I'm worried about my family's financial future under the Green New Deal. But what about the people in Texas who have just a high school diploma and have been able to give their families a much better life due to just driving a truck, welding, being a roughneck, or working a pipeline? All of those jobs disappear and the trucking industry, which will be going through their own rough changes to meet the new standards, can't absorb the extra truckers. The welding industry will run out of room. Roughnecks will take a massive pay cut becoming diesel mechanics and the like. All of these families will lose their homes and will fall back into the poor financial conditions that those jobs got them out of.

The Rust Belt got gutted by failed government policies and became a wasteland of opiates, meth, and welfare. If this isn't done right, the same will happen to Texas. What will happen to the Permanent University Fund? The lost taxes on royalties? What happens if we do this and China and India keep pumping out greenhouse gases and nothing changes? Will the US basically amputate Texas in an attempt to save the world only to have it be for nothing. The world needs saving? Fine. But you damn well better bring Texas along with you.

• Like 5

Eastwood, those types of workers will have do what the coal miners should be doing right now. Same as the type setters before them, same as the buggy makers before them, same as the cotton pickers before them.

Also, I don't buy the "What about china and India" argument. That's like saying "I'm not going to stop shitting where I eat because my neighbor won't stop shitting where i eat." You stop shitting where you eat, and you do your best to get your neighbor to stop shitting where you eat.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Eastwood, those types of workers will have do what the coal miners should be doing right now. Same as the type setters before them, same as the buggy makers before them, same as the cotton pickers before them.

Also, I don't buy the "What about china and India" argument. That's like saying "I'm not going to stop shitting where I eat because my neighbor won't stop shitting where i eat." You stop shitting where you eat, and you do your best to get your neighbor to stop shitting where you eat.

Get Out Follow GIF by Kamala Harris

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Love the fuck all you 10's of millions reliant on the O&G industry for your lives.  We're not talking about buggy whips or cotton sheets.  we're talking  about one of the major engines that make our economy go.  It's not a 10 year thing unless somebody makes fusion suddenly work.

And yeah China nor India (nor anyone else, which is why the Paris accord was a hollow meaningless document) are doing shit to halt their greenhouse gas emissions. So let's cut off our noses to spite ourselves while they laugh all the way to our demise as a first world nation.  I think we should do what we can that doesn't hurt us economically, but the green plan being foisted by the democrats is utter BS

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Love the fuck all you 10's of millions reliant on the O&G industry for your lives.  We're not talking about buggy whips or cotton sheets.  we're talking  about one of the major engines that make our economy go.  It's not a 10 year thing unless somebody makes fusion suddenly work.

And yeah China nor India (nor anyone else, which is why the Paris accord was a hollow meaningless document) are doing shit to halt their greenhouse gas emissions. So let's cut off our noses to spite ourselves while they laugh all the way to our demise as a first world nation.  I think we should do what we can that doesn't hurt us economically, but the green plan being foisted by the democrats is utter BS

Lies, half truths, hysteria, hyperbole, fear, and insults.

Eastwood has genuine concerns that should be addressed. You got nothing.

• Like 3