Refrigerator accumulating water

Baboontyme

Hey. I have a basement fridge. It's old but very useful. Probably 20+ year old Kenmore. Within the past week there seems to be water coming from somewhere pooling up underneath the drawers at the bottom. I googled and it seems there is some kind of a clean out valve that can get clogged and cause this, but this old lady doesn't seem to have one of those. 

Hell I kept the glass shelf in above the drawers and put a full size aluminum pan on top to see what was going on and it covered 90% of the length. It accumulated a few drops of water but still getting a saturated pool below the drawers.

Any ideas?

Edited by Baboontyme
Cuz

The drain line is under the evaporator coil which isn't visible from your picture. Is the freezer on the side? if you remove all the drawers and shelf attachments there will be a way to expose the coil on the freezer. You should see a lot of ice at the bottom. Unplug the fridge and let it thaw out and clear out the drain line. There is a rubber check valve that debris from the coil can get trapped in. Had this happen on my fridge a couple months ago. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, houston1108 said:

The drain line is under the evaporator coil which isn't visible from your picture. Is the freezer on the side? if you remove all the drawers and shelf attachments there will be a way to expose the coil on the freezer. You should see a lot of ice at the bottom. Unplug the fridge and let it thaw out and clear out the drain line. There is a rubber check valve that debris from the coil can get trapped in. Had this happen on my fridge a couple months ago. 

Nice first post. Very helpful. Pos rep

Is there a condensation drain hole near the coil inside the fridge? If that froze over or got clogged you would get some standing water. May need to remove a panel to see the coil to find the drain hole.
This is probably your problem.

Here is the solution. I have to do this about twice a year...

• Like 1

That's actually a very helpful video, thanks for posting. I could not find anything like that when I was looking on the youtubes. But fuck it, that thing is old and I'm pot committed at this point, looking forward to getting rid of it. 

deadshank you can have my old one if you want. You just need to pick it up by 9/22 when the new one comes. And I'm not helping you move it. 

3 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

That's actually a very helpful video, thanks for posting. I could not find anything like that when I was looking on the youtubes. But fuck it, that thing is old and I'm pot committed at this point, looking forward to getting rid of it. 

deadshank you can have my old one if you want. You just need to pick it up by 9/22 when the new one comes. And I'm not helping you move it. 

Where are you?