Learning/exercise video games to play with 8 year old daughter

Wyatt Mann

So, here is the deal, folks. Back in the mid 90s, I played Atari, Nintendo, Super NES. Then one day I got major motion sickness playing Mario Kart and never played video games again. Supposedly there are "games" for helping you learn to play guitar and drums, video games for learning foreign languages and stuff. Any of you folks have experience with that? And video games involving exercise. Like a dancing game or some shit like that. Something that involves the use of more than just your thumbs. I have no idea, I am so out of the loop.

When I hear the terms Video and Exercise mentioned together I would normally want to slap you upside the head.  They simply do not mix, ESPECIALLY for an 8 year old daughter!!!

But you clearly state you have "no idea."  Exercise is simply getting outdoors and doing stuff.  It can be as simple as taking the dog for a walk. Or organized sports like soccer that provides lots of varied movements and coordination.  But video and phones are the enemy of a good parent.  Hold off on allowing texting as late as possible, like high school. The group message bullshit is an endless pinging that eliminates the development of good habits and a promotion of good values.  Teaching your daughter that watching rather than doing IMHO is a bad, bad idea.

I personally picked soccer for my girls because I was familiar with it, and it's a sport where the US Women are every bit as fun (if not more) than the US Men's team.  Even more importantly it was a way for them to understand that girls come in all shapes and sizes. So for me it was about a healthy body image,  self esteem and building friendships with other girls.  Girls that do not participate in groups sports often view other girls as rivals first, rather than friends.   There is a lot of science behind less promiscuity in girls playing sports as well. 

It's not as easy as saying watch this video, but I think the best thing you can do is gauge her interest in different sports, and let her try something out.  Go for a walk with her yourself. Kick a ball, throw a Frisbee, throw a ball, take a hike, ride bikes together or simply get outdoors! The advantage of organized group sports is there is a support network of parents that form car pools and divide labor.  The disadvantage (now) is that youth sports is now more of a profit center than at any point in our history.  

I will say once again, that suggesting your daughter turn to videos for exercise if fucking crazy in my mind.  I think you are not too bright when you buy them game boys and X boxes as well.  Get them involved in something they like that is organized and just do shit with them that is active.  Make if fun! 

** videos for learning guitar are great, but the less screen time the better for the vast majority of kids.

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 4

Shit.... I barely remember Leisure Suit Larry.

Horn4life, yes, its important to get outside. However, on days in which it is raining or cold(I no longer live in Texas unfortunately) we may have to resort to inside exercise. Hence exercise games. And learning games. I would do more outside stuff but her mother is an outrageously spiteful, resentful beeeyotch. I could go on and on all day about that.

Encouraging exercise on a phone is basically just encouraging more phone use and less actual exercise.  It's the antithesis of not only exercise, but also all things emotionally and academically healthy for a kid.  It's a battle to keep their screentime down but it's one worth fighting.