St. Louis

OnAComputer

I know not many people travel to St. Louis, but if you do, it is actually a wonderful city. The food scene is great with lots of regional cuisine that people fall in love with. There are also a lot of fun things to do that are absolutely free.

I have compiled a list here for those traveling to use if they ever make it to STL.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x8Pq7GOTTf24wgDjISe6PM0JS5iAd1Kp/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

I went to St. Louis 2 months ago. I enjoyed the hell out of that place. Stayed downtown, went to some club and bars by the Cardinals live thing and it had a ton of talent, Wheelhouse was my spot. It was way better than I expected. They also have that Social House place south of downtown where the waitresses wear no tops and just have body paint on. It was pretty dope. Tinder was a goldmine up there as well  

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, can you stop spamming us with your hot takes on the food scenes in various cities? </skeptical>

Just thought people would enjoy them. No ulterior motive. I know Austin because I live here and I know St. Louis because I lived there. I love showing people around cities, so I created the lists.

St. Louis one was an improvement upon the concept of the Austin one.

I'm in St Louis once or twice a month for work. I've eaten at several places on your list and found them all pretty meh*. Toasted Ravioli is the best local thing going, and since I went no carb, I can't even eat that. Most of the pizza I've had there was a greasy mess, and as an Austinite I find the BBQ subpar in just about every way. Pappy's might be the most over-rated BBQ I've had since I tried Dreamland in Tuscaloosa.

*I am not a huge fan of big, heavy Italian meals in general, so maybe they are good for what they are...just not my thing.

• Like 1

Sidney Street Cafe does work in the $25-$30 a plate range.

Bogart's is better for BBQ than Pappy's, in my opinion, but it's not Texas style in any way so take that for what it's worth.  A good bet is finding a Sugarfire location that's having a good special on the day. Or, if you don't mind crossing that bridge, go to Beast Craft in Belleville, IL.

Gioia's Deli is amazing, the hot salami sandwich is one of the best things ever created.

Don't eat the pizza unless you go to Pi, Pizzeoli, or Dewey's, generally.  They don't serve Saint Louis style pizza and therefore are actually good.

36 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

Just thought people would enjoy them. No ulterior motive. I know Austin because I live here and I know St. Louis because I lived there. I love showing people around cities, so I created the lists.

St. Louis one was an improvement upon the concept of the Austin one.

Well, no.  Unless I missed it, you left out Charlie Gitto's, so your Italian section is sorely lacking. You also missed Amighetti's, Rigazzi's and Giovanni's.

Props for pointing out Ted Drewe's, which is an awesome way to spend an hour on a summer night (and maybe hang with a few Cardinals baseball players).

People in St. Louis are still graduating from boiled and broiled chain barbecue to the real thing.  There wasn't a foundation laid for it until maybe 15 years ago.  Generationally, there's a lot of improvement and care coming along, but they're not there yet.

That said, if anyone wants to go halves on a big smoker, we can open up White Oak Barbecue and do Texas style here and clean up.

• Like 1

OP hit a lot of the highlights -- make sure you hit The Hill and get reservations at one of the mentioned restaurants for dinner.  Go to the zoo -- it's free and world class.  (As in "actually world class".  Better than San Diego, in my opinion.)  Go to the Art Museum if you have a little time.

• Like 1

Bogarts and Salt & Smoke are both good BBQ places. We also usually don’t leave town without stopping by the Missouri Baking Company, Ted Drewes, and Randall’s Wine and Spirit either.

I also second the zoo recommendations.

Been to st. Louis once when i lived in omaha...went with buddy from new york and my brother plus work buddy...work buddy was drunk and stripper pissed him off somehow so he threw a quarter on stage. She stopped dancing and asked who put a quarter up. He said he did and she spit in his face.then we were kicked out....good times

My company had an event at Union Station in February. That's a cool space, and seems like it will be pretty kick ass when it's renovation is completed. The bar in the Grand Hall is totally bad ass, and I dig the architecture in general.

st-louis-union-station.jpg

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 1:28 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

St Louis style pizza is gross. A good friend of mine from St Louis had IMO’s shipped to Austin for her birthday party and I wondered what we had all done to piss her off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imo's is atrocious. It's like the a worse pizza hut

On 4/4/2018 at 1:53 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Well, no.  Unless I missed it, you left out Charlie Gitto's, so your Italian section is sorely lacking. You also missed Amighetti's, Rigazzi's and Giovanni's.

Props for pointing out Ted Drewe's, which is an awesome way to spend an hour on a summer night (and maybe hang with a few Cardinals baseball players).

I limited myself to not listing every great Italian place on the Hill. There is only so much a person can do. I should put the food tour in there though. My GF and I did it once and it was a fun experience. Go a bit of most things in a few hours.

23 hours ago, LosIllini said:

Craft beer scene is really good in StL.  Can't go wrong w/ anything Urban Chestnut makes.  Always bring a bunch back to Texas when I'm up there.  Hear their brewery tour/ beer gardens are fantastic.

ZwickelPackage.jpg

True. When a large percentage of people worked an Anheuser Bush then you're gonna have some people who learn how to actually make a good beer.

Well, for some reason Provel doesn't melt until about 9 billion degrees Celsius, so when you take a big honkin' bite of your first slice of Imo's you get this ghastly hot melted glue stuck to the roof of your mouth, and they don't allow you to bring the rest of the pizza into the ICU burn unit.

• 2 months later...

I spent 24 hours there over the weekend and did quite a bit off the op’s list. 

Gioa’s was great. 

City museum is insane and a must stop. 

Plenty of cool places in the Del Mar loop. 

Salt + Smoke had a good bourbon selection. I ended my night there. 

Mission Taco was meh

beers at blueberry hill was fun

Southern had good fried chicken. I skipped Pappy’s because of the line. There’s a brewery called Center Ice in the same complex that was good. 

There an Apollo 11 exhibit at the science museum right now if anyone is going soon. 

Last trip before I switched jobs I ate at a little mom & pop in the Brentwood area called Farotto's. Good toasted ravioli, and pretty good pie. They fucking square cut it, which I guess is a St Louis thing, but it makes the mushy pieces in the middle uneatable

9ath1x.jpg

• 8 months later...

Going this weekend to visit my cousin down there.  We're pretty close (he's the guy with the bloody face in my avatar), but he's been an insanely abusive relationship the past 1.5 years, which is 75% of his time there so he hasn't learned the city all that well, in terms of watering holes and eating joints.  I think we're hitting the Mardi Gras party in the Soulard neighborhood, which looks like a riot.  Anyone in here got experience with that?  4 Hands brewery is close by, so I'll probably try to get in there too.  He's not a craft beer guy, and hasn't really drank for the past 7-8 months due to said abusive relationship, so maybe we'll avoid it.

I asked him about the St. Louis pizza, after reading this.  His response "It's garbage, but I've grown a taste for it".  I almost want to try some of it out of perverse curiosity.  Some of the pictures posted here look absolutely disgusting.

STL has the 2nd-biggest Mardi Gras in the US. And it's pretty close to the Anheuser Busch brewery.

"St. Louis bbq" is its own variation on the theme and you should partake. Lotsa local joints; just ask the hotel for recs.

If you wanna take him to the peeler joint, they're across the river in East St. Louis. I have never partaken, so you'll need a local recommendation for the venue options. And don't wander around over there. East STL is no joke.

• Like 1

We're not going to East St. Louis, lol.

STL Mardi Gras sounds a lot like Oktoberfest in La Crosse, WI - it's not the real thing but it's close as you're getting without going there, and still a lot of fun.

He does have his favorite local BBQ joint scoped out, so that should be cool.  Looks like a bar right down the street from him has the toasted ravioli thing covered.  He's got tickets for Blues/Stars so we might end up there after Mardi Gras on Saturday.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Breakfast sandwich looks great.  Have always liked StL, don’t recall ever having a bad time there. 

Pit ham, Swiss, fried egg, mustard aioli on brioche. Phenomenal.

But they didn’t offer a chaser with the bloody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk