St. Louis

OnAComputer

Great brewery scene in STL.
Enjoyed all of these when I went there last year.

Side Project
Perennial
4 Hands
Narrow Gauge (Very close to the airport)
Urban Chestnut

Tried to hit 4 Hands today. They closed at noon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I'm in St. Louis 2x a month for work and I echo some of the same sentiment; pretty neat downtown area, Clayton is nice, bbq is overrated, etc.

The one thing that is killing me is the cold. I was in St. Louis during the polar vortex and though it wasnt chicago bad, it was still -4 degrees or something and today it's freaking brutal and snow everywhere. I was in Michigan last week and walked on a frozen Lake Michigan and it wasn't as cold as St. Louis downtown today.

Wait until it gets hot -- it's worse.

Also, one thing that is tough is I will never, ever be a Cards fan. After Game 6 in the 2011 WS, never. ever. never.

Sorry your team fucked up.  Oh, wait, no I'm not.  Greatest.  World.  Series.  Game.  Ever.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I'm in St. Louis 2x a month for work and I echo some of the same sentiment; pretty neat downtown area, Clayton is nice, bbq is overrated, etc.

The one thing that is killing me is the cold. I was in St. Louis during the polar vortex and though it wasnt chicago bad, it was still -4 degrees or something and today it's freaking brutal and snow everywhere. I was in Michigan last week and walked on a frozen Lake Michigan and it wasn't as cold as St. Louis downtown today.

The one thing that gives me pause when the firm flirts with the idea of having me open up the market here. I will say there are a lot of good, big enterprise organizations here though that you could make a good living off of selling into.

Also, one thing that is tough is I will never, ever be a Cards fan. After Game 6 in the 2011 WS, never. ever. never.

If you're into live music, join the mailing list for a place called "The Pageant". When I was in St Louis all the time, I cauget a few good bands there that I'd have never made time to see if I was home with my family. It's a theater sized venue, so not huge arena show type groups. I saw Turnpike Troubadours there, and Alabama Shakes, to name a few.  

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I was impressed by the town’s hockey acumen as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You wouldn't think a town that far south would embrace hockey, but they do.

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Blues games, while pricey, are great team-building events.  I'm not a big hockey fan, but those games are rowdy and a lot of fun, even for neophytes.

Do club-level seating.  

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

You wouldn't think a town that far south would embrace hockey, but they do.

Do club-level seating.  

Yup.  Hockey is completely a niche sport in Iowa, but in St. Louis it was very evident that the Blues were always a bigger deal than the Rams.  Of course, if the NHL had put a team in Des Moines in the 60's, hockey would be viewed very differently here.

St. Louis is a baseball town first, but it's a hockey town second, and it ain't that distant.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

• 11 months later...

We're heading to St. Louis for spring break, primarily to take the kids to City Museum. This thread is already helpful. I will try some St. Louis style pizza to form my own opinion. Was going to try and catch a Cards game but it looks like the season doesn't start until late March. I did the AB tour years ago, will try for a craft brewery. A few questions:

1. To give St. Louis style pizza a fair chance, what is the best place to get it? 

2. If I can only stop at one brewery, which one? Urban Chestnut seems to be the one based on my google machine.

3. If anyone has driven through Missouri on I-44, is there anything worth pulling off to see?

Edited by 'stache

We're going this weekend for Mardi Gras again.  Wife has a brewery stop list and we're going to be hitting AB, 4 Hands, and Perrenial for sure on Friday.  I love 4 Hands beer, but didn't get in there last time as it was closed due to the Mardi Gras celebration.

I didn't do St. Louis pizza last time and feel like I need to knock it off the list.  My cousin was strongly opposed to getting any, but another year under his belt, and now dating a local gal, he may have a more informed opinion.

I'll report on my findings as I go.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

We're heading to St. Louis for spring break, primarily to take the kids to City Museum. This thread is already helpful. I will try some St. Louis style pizza to form my own opinion. Was going to try and catch a Cards game but it looks like the season doesn't start until late March. I did the AB tour years ago, will try for a craft brewery. A few questions:

1. To give St. Louis style pizza a fair chance, what is the best place to get it? 

2. If I can only stop at one brewery, which one? Urban Chestnut seems to be the one based on my google machine.

3. If anyone has driven through Missouri on I-44, is there anything worth pulling off to see?

I live just off 44 about 60 miles outside of STL. 

You'll see the signs, but you probably should stop at the Uranus Fudge Factory just because and your kids will think it's funny.

While in STL, you need to go to the Hill to get some good Italian food.  I recommend Favazza's.  https://favazzas.com/

STL style pizza sucks.  It's thin and crispy with fucking provel cheese.  Shit is gross.  It forms a film in your mouth.  I honestly can't think of place I'd recommend to eat STL style pizza because it all sucks.

Depending on the time that you have on the drive, there is a pretty cool place just outside of Springfield called Wilson's Creek.  I think it's the location for the first Civil War battle west of the Mississippi or something like that.

Your kids are going to love City Museum.  There is also the National Museum of Transportation, which is really cool.  You could also check out Purina Farms (in the Grey Summit area) and Grant's Farm.  The zoo is always cool, but it's an entire day.  It is free, so there's that.  Oh, there's also the World Bird Sanctuary and Lone Elk Park. 

As far as the stuff I listed above, I'd prioritize them this way:

1. City Museum (because that's on your own list)

2. The zoo

3. National Museum of Transportation

4. Purina Farms

5. Grant's Farm

6. Both parks

Hope you all have a great time!

I grew up a couple of miles from I-44, about 100 miles from St. Louis.  There's not a whole lot to see.  Maybe drop in to Maramec Spring trout hatchery near St. James.  It's pretty cool, and only a few miles off the interstate.

Alex Pizza Palace in Rolla is superior to all "St. Louis" style pizzas I've had.  It also doesn't give you 3rd degree burns on the roof of your mouth from melted Provel cheese.

Agreed that a trip to The Hill is mandatory for Italian food -- if I haven't already recommended it, I suggest Charlie Gitto's.

I would say in addition to City Museum, visitors to St. Louis should check out the Art Museum and the Zoo.  Both are world class.  They're less than a mile apart in Forest Park, which is a beautiful, large urban park.  I believe it's one of the biggest urban parks in the country.