So, our defense is garbage

hayden_horn

Our defense sucked a little more than lsu did. I wasn't impressed with either defense or the "we are the real dbu" shit. LOL whatever. 

I would like to see the defense step up when it matters most and not continue the trend of when it's 3rd and long the other team dials up a for sure first down or TD pass. I have never understood why Orlando gets a team in 3rd and 15 and then decides to play prevent defense like it 3rd and 50. I would love to see some data at how many teams the last 3 years has converted on 3rd and long vs Orlando because it feels like a lot.

Getting to the QB without bringing pressure is our biggest issue. Hasn't happened in a long time.

An elite pass rush can cover up lot of mistakes on the back end. Our young cb's have no choice but to take their lumps game after game until that happens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Their freshman CB was draped all over Collin all night.  Eagles made some catches against the other guy but was never just running free.  CBs were the difference in the game. Theirs could cover.  Ours couldn’t.  

Fulton was the CB draped all over CJ. Sting key is the freshman and we made plays against him, but yeah, in general, the fact they couldn’t leave one CB on an island and we got killed for it every time we tried made Orlando’s job much more official than Aranda’s.

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Their freshman CB was draped all over Collin all night.  Eagles made some catches against the other guy but was never just running free.  CBs were the difference in the game. Theirs could cover.  Ours couldn’t.  

400 yards passing and like 5 DPI calls is covering?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Texas said:

Getting to the QB without bringing pressure is our biggest issue. Hasn't happened in a long time.

An elite pass rush can cover up lot of mistakes on the back end. Our young cb's have no choice but to take their lumps game after game until that happens.

Seems like forever since we had a fast twitch Orakpo or Sergio Kindle type guy coming off the edge getting pressure on the QB. We've had some good DT play in recent years but have sorely missed those kind of edge rushers that can just dominate and make plays. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Fulton was the CB draped all over CJ. Sting key is the freshman and we made plays against him, but yeah, in general, the fact they couldn’t leave one CB on an island and we got killed for it every time we tried made Orlando’s job much more official than Aranda’s.

im pretty sure i saw Stingly all over CJ a few times and he was disruptive as fuck with PBU.  Fulton actually started to look like shit later, even giving up pass interference.

8 hours ago, NowThis said:

Burrow will play on Sundays and probably 2 if not all 3 of his WRs. He made insane NFL caliber throws , threads the needle. The passing attack reminded me of Goff a few years ago. Nothing can be done really.

This LSU team is special. The best passign attack i've ever seen from the Tigers. They'll win all games, injury free, except @  Bama.  They are legit top 4 team ine country.  11-1 for LSU. 

for years we said, why can't LSU get a good QB?? Well, this is the best they've ever had.   Glad he's a SR, that gives UT a shot next year at Baton Rouge.

I'll believe this when they don't bend over and let Bama have their way. 

14 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Go back and watch the game sober. What a horrible take.

Meh, bunch of over reacting to a tough game. Our defense is young, but played pretty well. Last nights game hinged far more on our lack of a running back that the LSU defense had to respect. From the onset they set up to prevent Sam from doing what he was able to against Georgia. And to their credit it worked well enough.

Throw in some head scratchers like not taking points when they are all but gifted to you provided the difference. Had Tom taken the points to go up 6-3 with roughly 2 minutes left in the first may have changed the outcome. It definitely would have changed LSU’s play calling. Being behind always does.

We should, at minimum take away the DBU shirt from Sterns and Boyce. Holy hell it was painful to watch them both get torched all night long. 

The all out blitz on 3rd and 17 that STILL COULD NOT GET TO BURROW ON SLOW DEVELOPING ROUTES was all on Orlando. That was fucking amazingly bad play calling. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I rewatched that 3 and 17 play.  Looks like a safety got caught in no mans land spying Burrow.  If he had dropped to the marker, that pass wouldn’t have been there.  

The cornerbacks are young and the LSU receivers are legit. 

How the fuck could the safety be spying Burrow when we sent the house on a blitz? Sterns has to man a receiver. He manned him about as well as my 75 year old mother would have. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Newy25 said:

How the fuck could the safety be spying Burrow when we sent the house on a blitz? Sterns has to man a receiver. He manned him about as well as my 75 year old mother would have. 

I’m not disagreeing. I couldn’t tell the number but somebody didn’t drop or blitz, late in the play he finally rushes and nearly gets to Burrow. 

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Collin Johnson isn’t an elite WR. He disappears for games at a time, and makes big catches downfield maybe 3 games a year. Duvernay is having the kind of year that exemplifies elite WR play. CJ is great within 15 yards of the LOS, but his best play deep is generally an inaccurate deep ball from Sam leading to a PI. 

We also have shit clock management.  With around 6 minutes to go, and down a couple of scores, we pissed away a shitload of time.  I saw one play where everybody took their time, and 45 fucking seconds ran off the clock. 

45 seconds doesn't seem like a big deal with 5 minutes to go, but only if you're up by a couple of scores.

6 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It’s both a talent and scheme issue. We have entirely too many plays with receivers wide open for it to simply be the former.

Orlando spends too damn much time trying to show how smart he is on a whiteboard. His odd looks, retardedly late, delayed blitzes and general junk defense is getting stale IMOHO. His two minute defense has been pure shit for his entire tenure in Austin, and he’d be pretty loathed if he had not stumbled into the lightening package.

We are also absolutely terrible at tipping our blitzes by being unable to hold our water pre snap. 

1 hour ago, Texas said:

Getting to the QB without bringing pressure is our biggest issue. Hasn't happened in a long time.   An elite pass rush can cover up lot of mistakes on the back end. Our young cb's have no choice but to take their lumps game after game until that happens.

Lack of DL pressure on Burrow made stopping LSU tough last night.   Continue adding better D-Lineman and the TEXAS pass defense will be much better.

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Lack of DL pressure on Burrow made stopping LSU tough last night.   Continue adding better D-Lineman and the TEXAS pass defense will be much better.

Malcom Brown

Chris Whaley

Jackson Jeffcoat

Alex Okafor

Sergio Kindle

Brian Orakpo

Been a while since we’ve had dominant dudes on DL. Seems like it’s harder to recruit guys like that in Orlando’s scheme.

There is a difference between dropping into coverage and standing around and being a step late, and dropping where everyone understands the potential routes, leverages, and makes the windows tighter.

Some of the plays were just great throws by Burrow, he was much more accurate than I was expecting.  But I think the whole secondary is playing tentative, or at least not coordinated.  When you see the linebacker and safety both outside and the WR breaking inside it becomes an easy throw.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Malcom Brown

Chris Whaley

Jackson Jeffcoat

Alex Okafor

Sergio Kindle

Brian Orakpo

Been a while since we’ve had dominant dudes on DL. Seems like it’s harder to recruit guys like that in Orlando’s scheme.

The tight front doesn’t do DL a lot of favors in the playmaking department. If they make a play then great. Their job is to occupy 5 with 3 and let the svelte guys behind them wreak havoc and clean up the edges.  

9 hours ago, victory88 said:

We played a top 5 team with a very good QB and 3 NFL WRs.  We played well in spurts but could not get off on 3rd downs.  That killed us tonight.  In today’s college football, good defenses no longer exist.  LSU probably has 8 NFL players on their defense starting and gave up 38 points.  Does their defense suck too?  

I get it, this loss sucks.  The frustrating part is that we could have easily won this game if it weren’t for a few dropped passes or 1-2 3rd down stops.  But let’s not go full retard.

Agreed. We are very young at the corner spot and this is one the toughest positions to learn. We will get much better by the end of the year. This was a bad match up for us and LSU is a legit title contender. Still think we are a year away from being a National Title contender, but with Sam, He may will us there. Still need another great recruiting class and kick Oklahoma's ass next month. Just win the Big Twelve baby and maybe get that spot in the play offs. We are on an upward projection for the 1st time in 10 years. Enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Malcom Brown

Chris Whaley

Jackson Jeffcoat

Alex Okafor

Sergio Kindle

Brian Orakpo

Poona Ford and Charles Omenihu weren’t bad. If Chris Whaley is on the list, these guys belong there too.

• Like 1

Orlando needs to fix this, especially before OSU comes rolling in. The CB play was nonexistant last night, LSU receivers had green grass around them on their catches all night. The Safeties are supposed to a strongpoint of our defense and they looked bad. BJ Foster was wrecking shop in the first half and disappeared afterwards. Maybe it's time to simplify things for these DBs and LBs. 

Also, where the fuck was Overshown? 

11 hours ago, gclass said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

^^^ HELP WANTED!  todd orlando needs to EXIT TEXAS!  the so-called defensive coordinator was continuously OUT-COACHED... OUT-CLASSED by lsu's ARANDA!  we are hereby sick and tired of constantly witnessing your DISASTROUS... POROUS... NON-CONDITIONED DEFENSES at TEXAS!  just go!

Dude...please.

We put up 500+ on their/Aranda's defense.

We don't go riverboat gambler in the first quarter and we win. That's on Herman.

We are going to fuck some B12 teams up this year.

Just wait till LSU (barring injuries) gets ahold of agricultural and maintenance. 

11 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

I posted this in another thread, but I think our secondary under performing is becoming a pattern. This happened last week too - we flood the field with DB's and yet receivers routinely find open space.

To be fair to Orlando, he’s dealing with a lot of turnover that many on here inexplicably wrote off as not being a big deal. 

10 hours ago, victory88 said:

We played a top 5 team with a very good QB and 3 NFL WRs.  We played well in spurts but could not get off on 3rd downs.  That killed us tonight.  In today’s college football, good defenses no longer exist.  LSU probably has 8 NFL players on their defense starting and gave up 38 points.  Does their defense suck too?  

I get it, this loss sucks.  The frustrating part is that we could have easily won this game if it weren’t for a few dropped passes or 1-2 3rd down stops.  But let’s not go full retard.

LSU averaged 6.6 YPP against GSU and 8.2 YPP against Texas. Even with the caveat that they went vanilla against GSU/accounting for garbage time, that’s still embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Collin Johnson isn’t an elite WR. He disappears for games at a time, and makes big catches downfield maybe 3 games a year. Duvernay is having the kind of year that exemplifies elite WR play. CJ is great within 15 yards of the LOS, but his best play deep is generally an inaccurate deep ball from Sam leading to a PI. 

Yeah, he has never been the best receiver on his own team.  Elite wide receivers get theirs no matter what the defense tries to do to them.  CJ has too many games like last night.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, he has never been the best receiver on his own team.  Elite wide receivers get theirs no matter what the defense tries to do to them.  CJ has too many games like last night.

Just doesn’t have the physicality to be elite. 

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Nope. Sam can't get him the ball where it needs to be. I don't care what kind of hops a 5'10" CB has, there are places in the air that a 6'6" Johnson can get to that the short-stuff CB can't, and that's where Ehlinger needs to put the ball. 

• Like 1