Devin Duvernay is a grown ass man

F250

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, satyanash said:

Pretty massive snub for Duvernay in Biletnikoff voting... 👎

BULLSHIT SNUB!!!

Why Devin Duvernay's Biletnikoff snub shouldn't have happened

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-football-WR-Devin-Duvernay-snub-semifinalist-Biletnikoff-Award-Tom-Herman-Sam-Ehlinger-Michael-Pittman-Jerry-Jeudy-138829116/#138829116_7

This is just more proof of the diving/gymnastics/ice skating mentality that football is evolving into. Duv didn't have enough of a hype machine behind him I guess.

But most indicting is the complete absence of the impact of facts and stats, which should be a relatively neutral, minimally biased set of determinants. Not in this space however.

It's just getting sicker and sicker by the year. Parallels what is happening in the Nobel Prize awards. (No CR).

Next I would imagine that game scores will not matter, its whoever looked better playing......

Edited by El Squared

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-WR-Devin-Duvernay-record-setting-season-Jordan-Shipley-Tom-Herman-139346369/

Devin Duvernay's record-setting season rooted in perseverance

ByJEFF HOWE        3 hours ago

AUSTIN, Texas — When he meets with reporters, Devin Duvernay tends to be a man of few words. Nevertheless, his Tuesday on-campus media session ahead of Texas (6-5, 4-4 Big 12) playing host to Texas Tech (4-7, 2-6) in the final game of the regular season featured Duvernay revealing a nugget of information that was a hot message board topic following his sophomore season, although it was never fully confirmed publicly by the wide receiver himself.

In a discussion about the 2016 recruiting class Duvernay was a part of that suffered heavy attrition, particularly in Tom Herman’s first offseason as head coach, Duvernay admitted that he thought about transferring out of the program at one point in his career. The former Texas state 100-meter dash champion who averaged a blistering 20.6 yards per reception and scored three touchdowns as a true freshman was the subject of transfer rumors in the wake of a 2017 season where he recorded only nine receptions for 124 yards, failed to reach the end zone and appeared to be out of favor with the staff.

Duvernay didn’t go into detail about what changed, only that after contemplating a move early in his career he was eventually able to break through and become an elite playmaker for the Longhorns.  “I just love my teammates,” Duvernay said when asked why he chose not to leave Texas for potentially greener pastures. “I wanted to be here and I felt like I could just make things work.  “I got over that hump and then just got happy with things and the way they were going.”

Had Duvernay opted to continue his career elsewhere, it’s hard to imagine where the Texas offense would be. Even as the Longhorns have struggled to move the ball and get it into the end zone in recent weeks, Duvernay has been the most consistent aspect of the entire team with his 10 receptions for 97 yards in a loss to Baylor last weekend adding onto a record-setting season that’s made him a semifinalist for the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award and earned him an invitation to the Reese’s Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. in January.  With 97 receptions for 1,095 yards on the season, Duvernay ranks third and sixth on the school’s single-season charts respectively in the two categories. He’s only the fourth player in program history with three games in a season of 10 or more receptions; he’s already tied the school record set by Jordan Shipley (2009) of six games with at least nine catches; his nine eight-catch games are the most in program history; he’s one six-catch game away from tying Kwame Cavil’s single-season record.

Duvernay has a chance to join Shipley as the only receivers ever to set foot on the Forty Acres to finish a season with at least 100 receptions, 1,200 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns (he has seven with two games left to play). The nation’s leader in receptions per game (8.8), Duvernay is one of only two Power Five receivers currently with at least 85 receptions, 1,000 yards receiving and seven touchdown receptions to their name.

And to think, none of Duvernay’s gaudy numbers would be in the Texas record books had he decided to pack his bags and find a new home when things weren’t going his way. The decision to stick it out or not, Duvernay said, is one players are faced with all the time, but it takes a mature approach to truly make the best decision when push comes to shove.  “A lot of people are young and things aren't going their way early on,” Duvernay said. “They tend to give up and just want early success, so they jump out.  “You just have to see the bigger picture and just know the plan and trust it.”

Describing himself as a young, raw player when he hit his bump in the road with the Herman regime, Duvernay took to heart the staff’s desire for him to become a complete receiver. In a 2018 season where he pulled down 41 balls for 546 yards and four touchdowns, Duvernay showed he was more than a one-trick pony who could blow the top off of a defensive vertically and not bring much else to the table.  “I definitely knew I had flaws in my game that needed work,” Duvernay said.

As he closes out his career with his final home game on Friday (11 a.m., FOX) followed by the team’s bowl game, Duvernay is going to go down as one of the most productive receivers to don the burnt orange. The highs and lows have to be mentioned in order to write his story, a tale he wouldn’t change even if given the chance to go back and do things a different way.  “I had a lot of learning moments and just took them and ran with them and they made me who I am,” Duvernay said. “They made me hungrier as a player and made me develop and be better for my team.”