Devin Duvernay is a grown ass man

F250

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

good example.

bonds_300.jpeg

Was bonds really the same level of athlete before and after here?  I don't know cause I've never really followed baseball closely, but it seems the baseball roid poster kids just became big meatheads vs football roiders who still needed to retain their speed.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Hard to say because he was old after the HGH. His stolen base numbers certainly took a nosedive but they would have with age.

and SB's were significantly devalued as they moved towards analytics.  bigger players(even at SS/2B/CF) who weren't as fast but could hit for power were more valued.

The .400 OBP singles hitter that can steal bases is basically gone.  

wonder if dev Duv can hit a curveball?

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Was bonds really the same level of athlete before and after here?  I don't know cause I've never really followed baseball closely, but it seems the baseball roid poster kids just became big meatheads vs football roiders who still needed to retain their speed.

He’d have made the HOF without the roids....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

He’d have made the HOF without the roids....

He would have been considered a top 50, probably top 10 offensive player of all time without the cheating, really. Griffey Jr pretty clearly explained when Bonds decided to roid up and it was right around the time it was obvious that Bonds was going to be a 500/500 guy anyway. Griffey Jr plead with him to stay the course, as Griffey Jr did, but Bonds couldn’t handle being one-upped by McGwire and Sosa.

So I assume it was the winter after 1998. I read Games of Shadows when it came out and that is how my memory framed it. I haven’t revisited the subject in over a decade, so feel free to fact check. Pretty sure I’m on it or close. Bonds had no fucking reason to cheat other than his personal insecurities. 

• Like 4

He doesn’t even look like the same guy in those two pictures.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He would have been considered a top 50, probably top 10 offensive player of all time without the cheating, really. Griffey Jr pretty clearly explained when Bonds decided to roid up and it was right around the time it was obvious that Bonds was going to be a 500/500 guy anyway. Griffey Jr plead with him to stay the course, as Griffey Jr did, but Bonds couldn’t handle being one-upped by McGwire and Sosa.

So I assume it was the winter after 1998. I read Games of Shadows when it came out and that is how my memory framed it. I haven’t revisited the subject in over a decade, so feel free to fact check. Pretty sure I’m on it or close. Bonds had no fucking reason to cheat other than his personal insecurities. 

Baseball is my particular thing, and you have it exactly right.  Bonds was always insecure, going back to ASU, because he was never a team player and, consequently, largely unpopular with teammates.  He went crazier than a shit house rat over the adoration being heaped upon McGwire and Sosa.  If he wasn't going to be beloved, he would  - by hook or by crook -  stomp on the accomplishments of those he petulantly envied.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. Bonds was a weird freaking dude.  He was so unbelievably petulant and insecure for a guy who was as talented and revered as him, even pre-roids.  I have not doubt McGwire and Sosa drove him crazy.  I think 98 is about right. I remember seeing some comparison photos when he first showed up to spring training whatever year he started the roids and the difference in physique and head shape was truly astounding.

31 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Baseball is my particular thing, and you have it exactly right.  Bonds was always insecure, going back to ASU, because he was never a team player and, consequently, largely unpopular with teammates.  He went crazier than a shit house rat over the adoration being heaped upon McGwire and Sosa.  If he wasn't going to be beloved, he would  - by hook or by crook -  stomp on the accomplishments of those he petulantly envied.

Yeah, Bonds had his personal issues, but those guys were hacks compared to him, and it would probably drive most people insane to see guys like that get ahead while you fall behind because you're not willing to cheat. 

On 2/28/2020 at 7:13 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

Let’s fucking go. I don’t know why I didn’t think he would be that fast, but when I think about some of his catch and runs, it makes sense. Please get to a landing spot that doesn’t swallow your career whole. Please.

Shocking that a former 100m Texas state champion ran a fast 40 yd dash.

Bonds was the best player in baseball throughout the 90s, before the steroids. He was the NL MVP in 1990, 1992 & 1993. He should have won it in 1991, 1995, 1996 and 1998.

He literally should have been the NL MVP 7 times in the decade. I think getting overlooked after '93 pissed him off. And the '98 Sosa/McGwire thing pushed him over the edge. 

Then he roided up and put up the most ridiculous offensive seasons in a century. In 2004 he reached base safely in 61% of his plate appearances. I mean...even in a era of rampant PED use, he was so much better than anyone else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

You just described half the posters on this board.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 6:02 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

There are some good players on that list, but Duvernay is the one you most want to get the fuck out of the way of when he has the ball in his hands and is going full speed.

the 6'4" 240# linebacker running at the same speed is probably more frightening.

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

To get this back off topic and baseball related.  Where’s Calvin?

Good point, and this also allows us to revisit that one day where we thought Murray was going to commit to UT, with Calvin being a data point.

Edited by Hank Chinaski

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, ousux said:

Funny how even with a high profile game against the national champs (not to mention blowU and Utah) all this went unnocticed by most of the country during the season. Guess thats the effect of a decade of futility..

Well, and we fizzled out rather than ending strong - Alamo Bowl excepted. Recency bias is real.

Skip talking about Dev in the 2nd Rd to Cowboys is just too early in this WR heavy NFL Draft.

Love Dev, but 3rd Rd is still the earliest imo because Dev just doesn't have enough twitch to separate early against NFL DB's... he's no Edelman, Wes Welker, or Rondale Moore.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Duvernay would be my first selection should I make up an All-Star Team of UT players that were outstanding players that played on mediocre or under-performing teams.

the entire 1996 team pops into my head. Bryant Westbrook, Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes, James Brown, Pat Fitzgerald, Tony Brackens, Cris Carter, Taje Allen, and i think one or two NFL O Linemen. talk about an underachieving team. 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

the entire 1996 team pops into my head. Bryant Westbrook, Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes, James Brown, Pat Fitzgerald, Tony Brackens, Cris Carter, Taje Allen, and i think one or two NFL O Linemen. talk about an underachieving team. 

I had forgotten about that team.  Makes me sad.

I googled them because I couldn’t remember everyone. Casey Hampton, Dan Neil, and a couple of others

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I googled them because I couldn’t remember everyone. Casey Hampton, Dan Neil, and a couple of others

aaron humphrey, mike adams, octavious bishop, derek lewis, ricky brown, dusty renfro, roger roesler...