Devin Duvernay is a grown ass man

F250

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

the entire 1996 team pops into my head. Bryant Westbrook, Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes, James Brown, Pat Fitzgerald, Tony Brackens, Cris Carter, Taje Allen, and i think one or two NFL O Linemen. talk about an underachieving team. 

I'm all for throwing the 1996 team under the bus for being serious under achievers but Tony Brackens was playing for Jacksonville in 1996 and many people still believe it was his absence that caused the D to fall apart despite having on of the best secondaries ever at UT 

8 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Duvernay would be my first selection should I make up an All-Star Team of UT players that were outstanding players that played on mediocre or under-performing teams.

Foreman won the Doak Walker on a 5-7 team. 

Actually, Ricky also did, on a 5-6 team. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

If Duvernay drops to round 3, every football fan in the country should be desperately hoping their team drafts him. In any other year, there would be no chance he falls out of the second and could even be a first rounder in a thin WR draft. I think he’ll have a much better career than most of the guys drafted ahead of him. 

After seeing their testing numbers, I think you can make a good argument Duvernay should be drafted ahead of Reagor, even though he’ll like get picked first because he’s had draft hype around him for 3 years now. 

23 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Duvernay would be my first selection should I make up an All-Star Team of UT players that were outstanding players that played on mediocre or under-performing teams.

Your first selection should be Tommy Nobis. In 1965, Nobis won the Maxwell Award (Player of the Year), the Jim Outland Trophy (best interior lineman), the Knute Rockne Award (best lineman) and was a Unanimous All-America selection despite playing on an injured knee. That Texas team lost to Rice, went 6-4, and didn't make a bowl game.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If Duvernay drops to round 3, every football fan in the country should be desperately hoping their team drafts him. In any other year, there would be no chance he falls out of the second and could even be a first rounder in a thin WR draft. I think he’ll have a much better career than most of the guys drafted ahead of him. 

After seeing their testing numbers, I think you can make a good argument Duvernay should be drafted ahead of Reagor, even though he’ll like get picked first because he’s had draft hype around him for 3 years now. 

Raegor has a unique explosiveness to his game similar to Hollywood Brown. If he keeps his head on straight he could be a stud. He was terrifying to play against. Duvernay has the straight line speed, but getting up to that speed takes him more time and he doesnt have that twitchy phone booth quickness. It doesn't matter for him though, because he is so strong and can manhandle most corners in the open field, he is just a different type of player than Raegor. 

Edited by Vertigo

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Raegor has a unique explosiveness to his game similar to Hollywood Brown. If he keeps his head on straight he could be a stud. He was terrifying to play against. Duvernay has the straight line speed, but getting up to that speed takes him more time and he doesnt have that twitchy phone booth quickness. It doesn't matter for him though, because he is so strong and can manhandle most corners in the open field, he is just a different type of player than Raegor. 

Reagor plays faster than he tests, but his testing was extremely poor compared to what people expected. He still has great explosiveness but his 40, especially 10 yard split, and agility drills were pretty terrible. He’s going to drop because of it. 

43-E2022-B-223-A-4-DC6-BF63-63-A9-D56-E4

16 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

that makes sense. i think this is from the last game he played in as a Longhorn:

I was at this game. 

It was pretty fun until it sucked. 

2 hours ago, jeevsie said:

81Og3EcQzYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And this, is a Grown Ass,... Man.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Edited by Napoleon

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Reagor plays faster than he tests, but his testing was extremely poor compared to what people expected. He still has great explosiveness but his 40, especially 10 yard split, and agility drills were pretty terrible. He’s going to drop because of it. 

43-E2022-B-223-A-4-DC6-BF63-63-A9-D56-E4

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2020/01/30/devin-duvernay-ras/

Devin-Duvernay-RAS-18216.png?w=806&ssl=1

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Jet-sweeps and screens are his bread and butter as Duvernay had the second most receptions on screens of any player in the country (42). He converted those into 17 first downs or scores and broke 14 tackles on them — both figures that led the country. With his combination of speed, power and elusiveness, he’ll quickly find a role in an NFL offense.”

love it. 

I think he's certainly capable of getting there.... He fuck punched LSU repeatedly lol. 

Athletically those guys were trash compared to Duv, but I think Duv's ticket to stick in the league is his play style which I hope he continues to angrify, thus thinking about those two as comparisons.

Edited by cam4mav

and yeah, as far as his production in the league goes, to me he seems like an unbelievably safe pick in round three or later. everything about him screams "8-10 year career" if he avoids injury. he'll be a steal for someone. I hope he goes to the Pats, Niners, Chiefs, or Rams. 

edit: or the Bucs 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

ok let's calm down now. i love Duv, but he's gonna need to get A LOT better at hurting people and punching teammates if he ever wants to match up with those guys. 

Lol...for real though, Hines Ward was one of the top 2-3 blocking WRs in my lifetime...

On 3/19/2020 at 11:20 AM, mininghorn88 said:

On 3/19/2020 at 7:59 PM, Red Five said:

Foreman won the Doak Walker on a 5-7 team. 

Actually, Ricky also did, on a 5-6 team. 

These are all very good choices, and I'd like to add Eric Metcalf.

23 minutes ago, futureman said:

not even five posts away

My bad. Looked like the discussion veered away from it and I overlooked it. Lemme just say +1 then. Man did we get the shit kicked out of us by BlowU, after the Box said  there was only one guy on our offense that was a threat. 

On 3/20/2020 at 4:07 PM, Goo Punch said:

ok let's calm down now. i love Duv, but he's gonna need to get A LOT better at hurting people and punching teammates if he ever wants to match up with those guys. 

Well, he could become a Rae Carruth-type, but he’ll need to become much more lethal. Just doesn’t have Carruth’s killer instinct. 

Bevo’s Daily Roundup: Where will Texas WR Devin Duvernay land in the NFL? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/bevo-e2-80-99s-daily-roundup-where-will-texas-wr-devin-duvernay-land-in-the-nfl/ar-BB11qi3M

"According to SI’s predictions, Duvernay is most likely land with the Indianapolis Colts, who recently signed veteran quarterback Phillip Rivers; the Houston Texans, who are in need of talent on their receiver roster after trading away All-Pro Deandre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals earlier this week; the San Francisco 49ers, who, with Emmanuel Sanders getting older, will need someone else on the outside for quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo to throw wounded ducks to; the Philadelphia Eagles, who have a series of question marks among their receiver ranks; or the Green Bay Packers, who seem like arguably the best bet for Dev."

Edited by LTtxfan

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/story/_/id/29017869/2020-nfl-draft-ranking-top-100-prospects

List has him at 83 and claims he was a 2x Big 12 Offensive POTY. Woulda been pretty cool if he'd actually done that

They probably meant to say that Devin won B12 Offensive player-of-the-week twice...

8 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

All the draft junkies I've seen have Dev going in the 5th. I definitely think the Seahawks take him if he falls that low. They've gotten a lot of good value off of low rated longhorn players recently.

Hopefully, Devin goes by late 3rd or early 4th Round

• From SI:  Third Round

97. Cleveland Browns (via HOU): Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/17/nfl-mock-draft-16-all-seven-rounds

• From ESPN's Mel Kiper:  2nd Round

Mel has Devin going in the second round, 57th overall, to the Los Angeles Rams.   He was the 12th WR selected in Mel's mock, just behind Jalen Reagor and Michael Pittman Jr.

• From Sporting News:  End of 4th Round

146. Philadelphia Eagles (compensatory): Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-mock-draft-2020-7-rounds-patriots-raiders-colts/x1p3hl1wxmkl14lasxq8y9xlx

I could at least make sense of why Poona was overlooked since he didn't have the prototypical measurements.  Duvernay going that low would be ridiculous though.  What the fuck exactly does the NFL want in a slot receiver?  The guy runs tough and is built like a running back and can also outrun pretty much every db he will go up against.  Oh and he also has great hands.  That definitely sounds like a receiver who should go in the 7th round.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

I could at least make sense of why Poona was overlooked since he didn't have the prototypical measurements.  Duvernay going that low would be ridiculous though.  What the fuck exactly does the NFL want in a slot receiver?  The guy runs tough and is built like a running back and can also outrun pretty much every db he will go up against.  Oh and he also has great hands.  That definitely sounds like a receiver who should go in the 7th round.

Where have you seen him projected in the 7th? Most people are projecting 3rd-5th round, usually in the 4th. I think he’s somewhat underrated. A lot of people have him about WR15 - 20. I’d probably have him 10th or 11th, but it’s an extremely stacked year. Most years he’d be a top 10 WR and a likely 2nd round pick. 

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

COD, route running, and short arms are his weaknesses. He’s also a one year performance guy. I think he’s a later day 2, early day 3 guy though.
Our guys always seem to go lower than we think.

Yeah, his testing numbers actually weren’t great, especially his 3 cone. I think he’s tremendous and any team that gets him in the 4th should be doing cartwheels, but we’ll see. 

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Where have you seen him projected in the 7th? Most people are projecting 3rd-5th round, usually in the 4th. I think he’s somewhat underrated. A lot of people have him about WR15 - 20. I’d probably have him 10th or 11th, but it’s an extremely stacked year. Most years he’d be a top 10 WR and a likely 2nd round pick. 

Yeah, his testing numbers actually weren’t great, especially his 3 cone. I think he’s tremendous and any team that gets him in the 4th should be doing cartwheels, but we’ll see. 

He looked like he had more in the tank for his 40 yard sprint.  Seriously, looked like he just glided effortlessly.  Looked like he touched 4.4 w/o even really trying.

Hopefully, his ability to take the top off of the defense in the NFL gets taken advantage more than it did at Texas.  I feel like he was good for being wide ass open deep at least once a game, but usually it was much more than that.  Sam just couldn't hit him consistently.