Devin Duvernay is a grown ass man

F250

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Probably not the 40 because he already hit sub-4.4, but he probably would’ve redone the 3 cone, shuttle, and maybe very. Those were the areas that hurt him, 3 cone especially. 

Devin-Duvernay-RAS-18216-1.png?w=806&ssl

I wonder if DK Metcalf having a big year after a great 40 and a terrible 3cone helps at all.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I wonder if DK Metcalf having a big year after a great 40 and a terrible 3cone helps at all.

Doubt it just because they’re polar opposites as receiver types. Although Metcalf dropping the end of the 2nd was insane. I thought he was overrated when people had him as a top 10-15 pick, but passing on him in the second was crazy, especially when a team like the Pats took Harry in round 1, who wasn’t even the best receiver on his own college team. 

Having a shitty 3 cone shouldn’t affect an outside receiver as much, but most teams are going to want their slot receiver to have really good agility numbers. I think Duvernay plays more agile than he tests but there are certain underneath routes he struggles with because he has tight hips. Part of what’s hurting him is a lot of NFL teams don’t run a ton of bubble screens, which is Duvernay’s best asset. Whatever team takes him will need to accommodate their offense to him and many coaches/GMs are stubborn troglodytes who look for scheme for instead of matching scheme to players who have specific elite skills, like Duvernay. A team like the Cardinals would be perfect for him, but they’re already pretty loaded at wr. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Doubt it just because they’re polar opposites as receiver types. Although Metcalf dropping the end of the 2nd was insane. I thought he was overrated when people had him as a top 10-15 pick, but passing on him in the second was crazy, especially when a team like the Pats took Harry in round 1, who wasn’t even the best receiver on his own college team. 

Having a shitty 3 cone shouldn’t affect an outside receiver as much, but most teams are going to want their slot receiver to have really good agility numbers. I think Duvernay plays more agile than he tests but there are certain underneath routes he struggles with because he has tight hips. Part of what’s hurting him is a lot of NFL teams don’t run a ton of bubble screens, which is Duvernay’s best asset. Whatever team takes him will need to accommodate their offense to him and many coaches/GMs are stubborn troglodytes who look for scheme for instead of matching scheme to players who have specific elite skills, like Duvernay. A team like the Cardinals would be perfect for him, but they’re already pretty loaded at wr. 

So which teams have the best offense system to accommodate Devin's skills?? (My first thoughts were 49ers, KC, Ariz, Saints,  Rams and maybe Ravens??)

Edit:  @Nicole44 beat me to it on the possibility of the Ravens...

Edited by LTtxfan

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Probably not the 40 because he already hit sub-4.4, but he probably would’ve redone the 3 cone, shuttle, and maybe very. Those were the areas that hurt him, 3 cone especially. 

I like this guy's scoring system but grading height for WR makes zero sense.

On 4/21/2020 at 7:18 PM, Sock Monkey said:

I like this guy's scoring system but grading height for WR makes zero sense.

Take it for what it’s worth. It’s just a metric for overall athletic potential based on concrete measurables. That’s why there are position specific drills during the combine. NFL coaches, GMs, and scouts also know that they’re looking for on film.

On 4/21/2020 at 10:48 AM, Burt Macklin said:

I will never understand height being a 'downgrade'  especially for a slot type receiver when guys like Welker, Edelman, and company crushed it from that position.

Yeah, catch radius; but short stature almost seems like a strength if the player is a little 'thicker' than other WRs.

Would like to see Duvernay be a tough-ass reliable WR like Anquan Boldin was.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I will never understand height being a 'downgrade'  especially for a slot type receiver when guys like Welker, Edelman, and company crushed it from that position.

Yeah, catch radius; but short stature almost seems like a strength if the player is a little 'thicker' than other WRs.

Height is a big deal. You've got 6'6 offensive linemen, blocking 6'4 defensive linemen with long arms. Throwing windows are limited even further when the WR is short and has short arms. It's even worse when he doesn't have the route running or COD of a Welker, Edelman, AB, OBJ, etc. He's going to a good staff though.

you're not throwing slot routes over the linemen, but rather through windows created by scheme or with Ljackson, his feet.

I just found the massive downgrade on Duvernay's physical size a bit peculiar, given his weight.  If he was 178# or some shit, I could see it.

Edited by Iceman

9 minutes ago, Iceman said:

you're not throwing slot routes over the linemen, but rather through windows created by scheme or with Ljackson, his feet.

I just found the massive downgrade on Duvernay's physical size a bit peculiar, given his weight.  If he was 178# or some shit, I could see it.

It wasn’t a massive downgrade but it makes sense to adjust for height. Guys that run sub 4.4 or have sub 4 shuttle times at 6’4+ are a lot more rare than guys who do it at below 6 feet. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It wasn’t a massive downgrade but it makes sense to adjust for height. Guys that run sub 4.4 or have sub 4 shuttle times at 6’4+ are a lot more rare than guys who do it at below 6 feet. 

"poor" is pretty shitty, no?  I'm just talking about the "size grade" on the card.   Not the player.

4 minutes ago, Iceman said:

"poor" is pretty shitty, no?  I'm just talking about the "size grade" on the card.   Not the player.

No. Poor reflects his percentile height for his position, but he has a formula that he uses to adjust testing number percentiles based on height and weight but it doesn’t drastically alter the resulting percentile for the player. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Went in the 3rd in a strong WR class with basically one year of elite production

Landed in a great spot. Think he did well for himself. 

Yeah, I think Baltimore is a great place for him. Having Brown to stretch the field, Andrews to threaten the seam and Duvernay to feast on all the space underneath them combined with Baltimore’s running game could be absolutely lethal. 

• Like 3

On 4/20/2020 at 2:10 PM, Atticus said:

COD, route running, and short arms are his weaknesses. He’s also a one year performance guy. I think he’s a later day 2, early day 3 guy though.
Our guys always seem to go lower than we think.

I think the one year thing might be the biggest factor. If our game plan for him wasn’t run fast down the sideline for 3 yrs he would’ve had a chance to show more. I’m just over shitty coaching and poor development tbh

Taylor Estes: Baltimore Ravens select Devin Duvernay with No. 92 overall pick

The second of the 2020 draft-eligible Longhorns is off the board. The Baltimore Ravens selected four-year starting receiver Devin Duvernay with the No. 92 overall pick of the 2020 NFL Draft. Duvernay's selection marks the first receiver taken the in NFL Draft since Marquise Goodwin was selected in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Duvernay's selection comes after a four-year career at Texas, capped off by a solid senior season in which Duvernay made the move from outside receiver to the slot position.

“In Devin, they’re getting a fierce competitor,” Texas head coach Tom Herman said. “This a guy who I describe as someone that plays angry. He would rather run through you than around you. He’s got elite speed and is a former 100-meter dash state champion in high school, a guy that led the country in the regular season in catches. He has extremely strong hands. I think he had only one drop in his four-year career. Which is amazing considering the number of catches that he had. He’s a team captain, a tremendous leader with great work ethic, and he’s extremely versatile. This is a guy, in talking with a lot of the head coaches that I talked to, although he played in the slot his senior year, he played outside the previous three years. He’s also built like a running back, and we played him in the backfield a little bit, too. He’s a guy that can do it all and certainly did for us this past season.”

Duvernay's breakout senior season included the wideout adding a career-high 1,386 receiving yards, with lead the Longhorns entire group of receivers. After making the move from outside receiver to the slot position in fall camp, Duvernay entered his senior year under the radar, though his elite skills quickly shined through as he consistently made a major impact for Texas throughout the 2019 season to finish the year among the top receivers in college football.

The Texas Ex comes off an outstanding senior campaign, which ended with him leading the team with 1,386 receiving yards and nine touchdowns for an average of 106.6 receiving yards per game in his 13 starts.

In four years playing for the Longhorns, Duvernay saw action in 52 career games and racked up 2,468 receiving yards and 16 career-touchdowns, for an average 14 yards per catch per game. In addition to his production for the Texas offense, Duvernay also added 550 kick return yards on 26 attempts for a career-average 21.2 yards per kick return and moves him to 3,052 all purpose yards during his time at Texas.

Duvernay wrapped up his four-year career on the Forty Acres with a solid senior season, which featured the receiver finishing near the top of college football with his 106 total receptions (third nationally) and 8.2 receptions per game (third nationally), and ranked No. 5 in FBS college football with 1,386 total receiving yards. Even with his standout senior season, Duvernay was snubbed by the Biletnikoff Award as he was not even named a semi-finalist in 2019, which did not sit well with his teammates or coaches on Texas' staff.

"I think it's a shame that Devin Duvernay was not up for any type of postseason award," said co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Herb Hand in a press conference leading up to the Longhorns' 2019 Alamo Bowl game against Utah. "It's a joke to be honest with you. The guy left the country in receiving. I wouldn't trade him for anybody." With Duvernay off the board, several other Longhorns await their fate in the professional ranks — including receiver Collin Johnson, safety Brandon Jones, defensive lineman Malcolm Roach and offensive lineman Zach Shackelford. The three-day NFL Draft continues through Saturday with live coverage available on ESPN.

• Like 1

With Duvernay off the board, several other Longhorns await their fate in the professional ranks — including receiver Collin Johnson, safety Brandon Jones, defensive lineman Malcolm Roach and offensive lineman Zach Shackelford. The three-day NFL Draft continues through Saturday with live coverage available on ESPN.

Can Brandon get drafted again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From his Draft Overview on NFL.com:

"Strengths:

Rugged, durable frame. Led the nation in catches and finished fourth in yardage. Texas 100m state champ (10.27) in high school. Has potential to separate on deep balls. Thrives with catch-and-runs. Runs like he hates humanity as he blasts through tacklers. Roughs up clingy coverage. Good sideline awareness to drop the feet inbounds. Slows and settles into zone windows. Can pluck throws with hands or nestle them in traffic. Very reliable, soft hands."

• Like 3

On 4/24/2020 at 11:22 PM, Mdhorn said:

Gets to join Tucker and I get to watch some Ravens games.  

There will be other Texas kids as well.

On 4/25/2020 at 10:16 AM, Snacks said:

Ravens are going to be fast af on offense. Adding Dobbins and Duvernay to Jackson is going to create stress.

Don't know if it's been pointed out, but at least 5 of the Ravens' 10 draft picks are Texas high school kids.

RB J.K. Dobbins, Ohio State

DL Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M

WR Devin Duvernay, Texas

DL Broderick Washington, Texas Tech

WR James Proche, SMU

• Like 4

On 4/25/2020 at 7:45 AM, Iceman said:

Interestingly, shorter receivers give the taller DBs that are so en vogue fits. Richard Sherman absolutely gets eaten up by the Edelmans of the world due to their typical advantage in quickness and lateral agility. That isnt Duvernay's strong suit, but he is still going to be extremely effective. I think more of the mold of an Anquan Boldin or Steve Smith.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
From his Draft Overview on NFL.com:
"Strengths:
Rugged, durable frame. Led the nation in catches and finished fourth in yardage. Texas 100m state champ (10.27) in high school. Has potential to separate on deep balls. Thrives with catch-and-runs. Runs like he hates humanity as he blasts through tacklers. Roughs up clingy coverage. Good sideline awareness to drop the feet inbounds. Slows and settles into zone windows. Can pluck throws with hands or nestle them in traffic. Very reliable, soft hands."
That's not the katfid I know...

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Really would’ve liked to have seen him go somewhere where they’d sling it more, but at least he’s going to a top tier organization that will be playing meaningful games for the foreseeable future 

This is a great fit for him. The Ravens need a possession receiver and he’s going to have a ton of room to run after the catch with defenses focusing on Lamar, the Ravens running game and Brown as a deep threat. 

On 5/10/2020 at 11:29 AM, Burt Macklin said:

This is a great fit for him. The Ravens need a possession receiver and he’s going to have a ton of room to run after the catch with defenses focusing on Lamar, the Ravens running game and Brown as a deep threat. 

You’re partially right, but I just don’t think this team is going to throw enough for Duvernay to put up the kind of numbers he would want to when stating his case for a 2nd contract (with anyone, including Baltimore). Same thing goes for Marquise Brown, who I think is really talented. I just don’t think either will ever get the credit they deserve playing with Lamar Jackson and that Greg Roman offense. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...