About those LSU 'heat' cramps free timeouts

clapclapclap

The cramping was rampant and obvious and they need to figure out a way to stop it before teams who are deep with talent just start having a player cramp every other snap to keep their guys fresh. There's literally nothing in the rules to prevent that. Teams who aren't using this strategy now only aren't doing it out of pride/sportsmanship.

That said, it's not why we lost the game.

For those saying being pissed about this is just whining about the outcome, it's possible to believe that intentional cramping is a bitch move (especially from a program that touts their toughness) and also not believe it's why we lost. Both things can be true.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

No, out for the remainder of the quarter.

No. This endangers players truly suffering from heat stress since they may experience symptoms but not come out of the game for the team. That is wrong. Safety first. Out for the drive is enough to stop shenanigans.

That said, the LSU D was not that poorly conditioned nor improperly hydrated prior to a game, no way I'll believe that.

1 minute ago, burntorangebongos said:

No. This endangers players truly suffering from heat stress since they may experience symptoms but not come out of the game for the team. That is wrong. Safety first. Out for the drive is enough to stop shenanigans.

That said, the LSU D was not that poorly conditioned nor improperly hydrated prior to a game, no way I'll believe that.

That's why I would allow the first free pass...and frankly after that if it's true heat distress and you've already been down once, your ass is either going down or it's getting kicked so bad the next play you are done.  

The world still needs a bit of personal accountability and all..

10 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Easy fix. New rule: if play has to be stopped because you were on the ground asking for medical attention you cannot play again in the same drive. 

That shit will stop really fast. 

Doesn't go far enough. If you have to stop play for medical attention, out of concern for your safety you are not allowed to play the rest of the game.

My solution

Individual Rules

1st time down is treated as today.
2nd time down you sit for 15 minutes of game clock
3rd time is a TKO and you are out for the rest of the game

Team Rules

Each team gets 3 free team injuries per half. After that it’s a timeout. If you are out of timeouts 15 yard penalty

All the shit would stop real real fast.
Problem is theres 11 starters on defense so thats 11 free timeouts if they know which order to drop.

Amazing how the cramps went away the last drive or 2 when the game was almost in hand.

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Problem is theres 11 starters on defense so thats 11 free timeouts if they know which order to drop.

Amazing how the cramps went away the last drive or 2 when the game was almost in hand.

what's amazing is how their offense ran up and down the damn field all game and not one cramp. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Mond actually had cramps. that's what cramps look like.

Mond was cramping.  He wasn't flopping around until the injury timeout was called and then getting up either...   

It's all over secrant.  Auburn did it to Alabama. Saban adapted it and does it to handle the tempo... Aggy is saying we are claiming moral victory and being laughed at for that sounding familial...

At least in soccer they have only one person on the field itself that can't see everything so if you can make it look good enough, you might pull a penalty kick or even a man advantage by getting someone sent off.  Deep in the game, fatigue becomes an issue after running for 75+ minutes with a small break after 45.   Both sides will start doing it to give the teams a chance to grab water and hydrate before players really start dropping like flies.

34 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Doesn't go far enough. If you have to stop play for medical attention, out of concern for your safety you are not allowed to play the rest of the game.

I understand the sentiment but in reality you could quickly run out of players. And it's a pretty harsh punishment if a kid legitimately does have a bad cramp and just needs to get to the sideline and stretch it out for several minutes. Or if he ding his ankle up pretty good but wants to tough it out. 

11 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Heat Index tonight was actually hotter in Baton Rouge than Austin, because of the higher dew points & humidity.  

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBTR.html

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KATT.html

Did any of their offensive players go down with 'heat' cramps?

They did that shit constantly in the Texas Bowl because Mahomes II was wearing their asses out.

Such a bullshit move. You’re fucking world class athletes.  Stop acting like me trying to run a lap around the football field after Thanksgiving dinner...

16 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I understand the sentiment but in reality you could quickly run out of players. And it's a pretty harsh punishment if a kid legitimately does have a bad cramp and just needs to get to the sideline and stretch it out for several minutes. Or if he ding his ankle up pretty good but wants to tough it out. 

It's not punishment though. Seriously if you are hurt bad enough to need medical attention you should not continue playing a football game. If you're worried about running out of players, be better at conditioning. But also, college teams have a roster of 85 scholarship players, they're not going to run out of bodies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

4 plays off would be a good start 

Do it once, fine. Do it twice, you are out for the rest of the game. Simple. If you need a time out and medical attention on the field because you can't get off the field TWICE then you are done. 

That way it's only 11 free time outs instead of infinity.

Without repercussions, people take advantage of it. You interrupt the flow of the game, rest your players and get a chance to game-plan. 

Again, I don't want to use that as the reason we loss. But I hope everyone who watched that game could clearly see how it was an advantage for LSU when so many players were cramping up, and only on the defensive side of the ball. 

There were plenty of times that Joe was rolling down the field where a Texas cramp or series of cramps could of helped us regroup. But Texas players don't play that game and shouldn't.

Hopefully some of the sports talking heads also took note and we can have some honest conversations about this practice across the league. It needs to be kept in the news cycle. 

• Like 1

Just now, OU Sucks said:

Anyone remember at what point the two LSU players flopped at the same time and were looking at each other to figure out who should stay down?  I need to see the footage of that again because it was hilarious.

Yeah, pointed that out during the game. Comical.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Massive outbreak of vaginitis for sure.

Don’t kid yourselves. They won’t change the rules though because it will encourage players to play injured.

This.   Policing injuries is sensitive - they need to keep the rules the same.

What they really should do is post-game enforcement: suspend coaches and ban complicit trainers from sidelines.

15 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Don’t kid yourselves. They won’t change the rules though because it will encourage players to play injured.

If the rule is they have to sit out for the drive, most players who truly have injuries would likely need to sit out at least the drive anyway.  LSU was able to stop our momentum (although we overcame it maybe 75% of the time), let the whole defense rest, and get fresh bodies on the field, all without using a single TO.  The honor system doesn't work if certain teams can't be honorable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Nope.  Sitting out a drive is fine; and if they choose to stay in with a cramp and not tell anyone, their own coach will see them getting burned and sub them out.  Does concussion protocol encourage players to play concussed?

13 fucking players for LSU went down with cramps

ive been to over 150 longhorn games in person and watched another 1000 or so games of football (all levels) in my lifetime and never seen anything even close to last nights level of pussiness. 

Either LSU is the most pussy, least conditioned team ive ever seen, or they were tired as fuck in the 2nd half

spoiler alert: they were dog fucking tired midway through the 3rd quarter. 

Nope.  Sitting out a drive is fine; and if they choose to stay in with a cramp and not tell anyone, their own coach will see them getting burned and sub them out.  Does concussion protocol encourage players to play concussed?

I agree with you it’s a bullshit reason. But I think that is the reason the rules won’t change.

12 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

If they're "cramping", they should have to sit the rest of the quarter. Such bullshit 

This is the answer. Guy goes down on 3rd down with fake cramps he may only be out 1 play, bullshit indeed.  Loved herbies excuse, been hot. I guess hot for only 1 defense. Should have pointed it out at least once. Or maybe give Horns props for their obvious superior hydration program. I'm sure if it was reversed it would have been pointed out multiple times.

Just now, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

This is the answer. Guy goes down on 3rd down with fake cramps he may only be out 1 play, bullshit indeed.  Loved herbies excuse, been hot. I guess hot for only 1 defense. Should have pointed it out at least once. Or maybe give Horns props for their obvious superior hydration program. I'm sure if it was reversed it would have been pointed out multiple times.

Herbie would have gloated over and over about how well those guys are if they didn't fake their cramps. 

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

That's why I have the team total rule in there as well where it starts costing time outs or penalty yardage

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If an injury causes a stop in play the injured player is not eligible to return until a change of possession or by calling a timeout (injured players team). 

The truly injured will stay down, the rest will get off the field as opposed to just lying down. 

I would be down with this.

4 minutes ago, Greatgamehorns said:

Please remind me:   How many points were awarded to LSU for cramping?

Is your point that it's not expressly forbidden so it's ok, or that it doesn't matter as long as it doesn't directly put points on the board?  If the former, it's a bitch move indicative of high estrogen, if the latter them I guess the Rams DB "non-interference" also didn't directly put points on the board for LA.

• Like 1

Please remind me:   How many points were awarded to LSU for cramping?

No one is saying that we lost because of the cramping we’re just saying it’s an obvious bitch move to fake cramps for de facto timeouts when you don’t feel like dealing with tempo.

It’s crazy that the vastly superior SEC talent would need to roll around on the ground like bitches against such an overmatched and inferior team. Pathetic.
  • Like 3

I don’t specifically have a dog in this fight, but I was at the game last night giving the LSU fans around me hell for making the game as unwatchable as the last 10 minutes of an NBA game.  The two players down train wrecks were the most comical.  On the second occurrence the player closest to the north end zone popped up to his knees when he saw the other player down then stayed on his knees when the trainers came out and said something to him.  I don’t ever recall that kind of BS on an Orgeron USC defense.  

Edited by USCATX