Texas opens as a 30.5 point favorite v Rice

TexasMan

Rice is terrible but not quite as awful as last year. Wake didn't destroy them, and Army only beat them 14-7. None of which is to say we won't be able to name the score, but IDK if Herman wants to pull a James Franklin or Bag O'Dicks on them and fuckstomp them 70-10 or something. It's just not the gentlemanly thing to do when you are playing Rice, as opposed to the Baylors of the private university world. You only want to give your nerdy little brother a wedgie -- you don't need to break his nose and black his eyes.
Also, I expect and hope to see lots of underclassmen out there early -- no need to repeat a disaster like the catastrophic Blaine Irby knee blowout vs Rice. 
Rice's backup QB is a grad transfer from Harvard -- not some green scrub -- and was pretty decent against Wake. Rice also showed stout red zone D against Wake, stalling two drives inside their own six that each resulted in Wake FGs.
All of that said I think we cover that line: UT 52, Rice 10. 
Qb couldn't get into Rice as an undergrad eh?
  • Like 2

Rice IS terrible. There a mid-major disguised as an FBS team. They have no business playing at the FBS level, they will never be good at that standard. I understand why the game is being played, it's a recruiting stop in Houston and needed for Texas.
Texas shiuld win by 40 and of course if they don't there'll be weeping and gnashing of teeth over here and elsewhere. But win by 40 or by 4 it's really a meaningless game except for recruiting. Hopefully the third-string will get some good work in the second half.
I wouldn't expect to  play top 15 teams week after week, but I also hate playing these scrub ass teams. Nothing really entertaining comes out of i the game itself but as I say it's needed for recruiting stop in Houston. Yawn.
Rice knows where the bodies are buried. They also are very good at mind control. They got this guy to sentence aggy to the SEC SEC SEC. after he got his ba at aggy he got his masters and phd at Rice and now hates aggy with the white hot fire of a thousand suns.

4c63d7ae8e4f2432e5721c5d2b677ba4.gif

7 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Last time we played Rice at NRG we only won by 17 and everyone had their favorite excuse. 

Little did we know what the rest of 2010 would bring. 

The last game played in was the national title game. Gilbert looked good for first time action as a freshman against bama.  Walking into the stadium I knew there was another 10 win season with a possible run at the BCS championship game, again.  Begin Texas dynasty.  After the, I believe second time Rice held Texas to a field goal I knew that there was a long season ahead.  I didn't even consider that Texas would go on one of the worst runs in its history, including nearly an entire decade of terrible football.

I watched the 1st half of Rice v Wake (yup, I actually did that).

This is the worst Rice team in ages.  We can rest and heal people and still cover.

Edit:  I see above that Greenspoint actually went to that game. I 2nd his comments. 

Edited by gecko

11 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I was under the impression that the channel was pretty standard for any cable/satellite package. That, and NBCSN

ah, i was going on some discussion on Surly that it was not available.  However Wiki has cleared it up:

On July 20, 2019, DirecTV and AT&T U-verse removed it from their lineup due to a carriage dispute. [41] The channel was re-added on August 8, 2019 to both platforms as they reached a multi-year content carriage agreement. [42]

Just now, NowThis said:

ah, i was going on some discussion on Surly that it was not available.  However Wiki has cleared it up:

On July 20, 2019, DirecTV and AT&T U-verse removed it from their lineup due to a carriage dispute. [41] The channel was re-added on August 8, 2019 to both platforms as they reached a multi-year content carriage agreement. [42]

Nice. So I assume you get it, correct? We have Hulu+ and get it, so I assumed everyone did. 

Just now, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My neighbors across the street are asian and their son goes to Rice.  The mom came over to borrow my lawnmower yesterday and she said that her son had never been to a Rice football game.  Based on that, and other factors, I think we win.

they can afford Rice , but can't afford a lawnmower?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, NowThis said:

they can afford Rice , but can't afford a lawnmower?

Their kid is in Rice, they absolutely cannot afford a lawnmower. 

I was going to try and make this game but things came up. Thought it’d be a good one to take the oldest to see, she’s just now old enough to really get into and understand what’s going on.  

“Babygirl, if you get into either of these colleges, I’ll pay for it.  If you go to aggy, your sister is my new favorite”. 

11 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

CSB alert:  Rice sent me the quickest rejection letter of my senior year.  3 weeks.  I don't think I made it past the mail room.

Not Rice related, but I had a job interview with a large law firm in the afternoon and received the rejection letter in my mailbox via USPS standard mail the very next day.  I was just impressed at their efficiency.  

14 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Rice IS terrible. There a mid-major disguised as an FBS team. They have no business playing at the FBS level, they will never be good at that standard. I understand why the game is being played, it's a recruiting stop in Houston and needed for Texas.

Texas shiuld win by 40 and of course if they don't there'll be weeping and gnashing of teeth over here and elsewhere. But win by 40 or by 4 it's really a meaningless game except for recruiting. Hopefully the third-string will get some good work in the second half.

I wouldn't expect to  play top 15 teams week after week, but I also hate playing these scrub ass teams. Nothing really entertaining comes out of i the game itself but as I say it's needed for recruiting stop in Houston. Yawn.

- Free Houston home game.

- Allows us to rest starters and get backups valuable playing time.

- Still counts as a win.

Rice should be on the schedule almost every year. Great school and should be an automatic win. When they come to our stadium their people don't take themselves too seriously and their band is at least different even if it's not your cup of tea. On the road they are a recruiting tool as we play a game in Houston. As long as other conferences and teams are scheduling like pussies then this games makes perfect sense.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Rice should be on the schedule almost every year. Great school and should be an automatic win. When they come to our stadium their people don't take themselves too seriously and their band is at least different even if it's not your cup of tea. On the road they are a recruiting tool as we play a game in Houston. As long as other conferences and teams are scheduling like pussies then this games makes perfect sense.

And playing them is still more respectable than playing Prairie View, Lamar, or Nicholls State.

Rice has an endowment large enough that they let most students go for free. They can certainly make that call any time they want and not think twice about it.

Texas isn't the team that they used to be. I don't understand betting lines on games like this, because Texas can make the score anything they want (except 1-0 for you literalists out there).

This will  be a scrimmage game to see who's been listening in meetings. The proper result of this game is to host some recruits locally in Houston and return to Austin without adding to the injury list.

17 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Rice is not very good right now. It'll probably look similar to the LA Tech game - offense does more or less what it wants, defense gives up a lot of yards through the air but ultimately keeps the point total low. 30.5 is a really big spread though.

Rice is nice, that's what they say.....

On 9/8/2019 at 10:08 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Wonder if the Rice "band" will try to pull some stunt they think is clever.

Did you see them Saturday?  They appeared to be nearly all Asian and had fearsome instruments like violins and cellos lol.  Highly talented no doubt and entertaining.

Edited by BevoSwag