Stan Drayton :: Worthless the 20__ Edition

golfclap

I guess I sort of get the point you're making, but Ingram's career high is a 110 yard game.  Not 215 or 163.

I think Ingram's going to have a great career and hope he can bounce back from his fuckup last weekend.  It's a little bit weird that this thread criticizing Drayton is on the recruiting board and then brings up his coaching, but whoever has been responsible for RB roster management has fucked up.

5 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I guess I sort of get the point you're making, but Ingram's career high is a 110 yard game.  Not 215 or 163.

I think Ingram's going to have a great career and hope he can bounce back from his fuckup last weekend.  It's a little bit weird that this thread criticizing Drayton is on the recruiting board and then brings up his coaching, but whoever has been responsible for RB roster management has fucked up.

Yeah I was just ragging on the guys complaining that his numbers went down when facing a legit D vs. a creampuff, as if that has never happened.

Fuck, when did I crack 50 posts? Back to lurking...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Rapid improvement of the OL has clearly increased Beck's IQ to near-Mensa levels.  That plus a couple of healthy RBs could do the same for Drayton.

I see what you’re trying to get at, but Herman’s been calling plays for 2 years. Even with our OL, There would still be a lot more boneheaded calls if Beck was still running the offense.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:07 AM, texasstrong12 said:

Ingram 21 carries and 114 yards tonight. 

19 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Huge regression.

You guys seem fixated on the idea that my problem is with Keaontay Ingram as a player in fact it’s the opposite. I thought it was exceedingly clear that he was the most talented RB on our roster in 2018, including Tre Watson, he just needed development/maturation. Ingram showed very early on that he possesses excellent balance and lateral quickness. 

So let’s go through a few things that I think are undeniable facts and see if we disagree  ::

Tom Herman is an elite playcaller. As an OC there are very few guys in all of CFB that are as good as, or better than, Tom Herman. 

Yancy McKnight and his S&C staff are elite. There are very few S&C programs that can compare the results that we have seen with this staff. 

Sam Ehlinger is an elite QB. There are very few QBs in college football that are as good as, or better than, Sam.  

Sam Ehlinger is an extremely difficult matchup for DCs because he creates yards and problems with his legs - causing teams to have to spy and/or allocate resources to him in the running game. 

This Texas OL features multiple guys that will go on to play for a long time in the NFL. It is an above average unit, that is better at pass pro, but is better than most P5 OLs in run blocking as well. 

This Texas WR corps is above average. Featuring a couple of NFL guys at various points in their deveiopment and a couple of matchup issues that might not be NFL guys but have to be accounted for, often with help in terms of scheme and personnel. 

Is there anything here that anyone disagrees with? 

So with all of those advantages our current RB production is pedestrian.  Does anyone disagree with that? My expectation of a guy with Ingram's skillset in this offense is to be far better than pedestrian but let's compare the Ok State stats to the other guys that have played this same Ok State defense this season. 

Rushing2019vs-Ok-State.jpg

Keaontay Ingram is a better athlete and far better RB than he is showing and I think it falls almost fully a the feet of Stan Drayton and I’m honestly stunned anyone feels any different. I felt the same way last season with Daniel Young who ran with utter brutality as a FR and was clearly and markedly better than Kyle fucking Porter and pillow-soft Chris fucking Warren. Both of whom Drayton started over Young. How many fucking times did we see INANE RB rotations in that season - where Drayton would replace a RB finding his rhythm with motherfucking drive killing Porter? The 2018 season rolls around and Daniel Young goes from being a bull in a china shop to a grandma in a china shop. Hunting. Pecking. Hesitant. Thinking instead of running instinctually, and with it the fumbles … all markers of a player who has been over-coached. Praise be to xfer Tre Watson who fucking saved the 2018 season. Keontay Ingram gets carries and looks incredibly quick - with excellent instincts and an ability to be liquid and avoid direct contact. He displays not only burst but great lateral quickness and balance. 2019 rolls around and that same liquid RB is now hunting. Pecking. Hesitant. Thinking instead of running instinctually. The EXACT bullshit we had seen with Daniel Young 12 months earlier. You guys honestly disagree with that? In this offense, with this talent, this S&C program, and this staff a guy with Ingram’s skill set should be absolutely killing it. He should be a fucking nightmare for defenses to account for. That is my expectation. It’s not about Ingram’s lack of talent or ability - the opposite - it’s about that ability being squandered by a coach whose every action seems like he would rather be back in the NFL than coaching college.  ¯\_()_/¯

I’ll try another angle, let’s look at some guys at various position groups. 

Sam Cosmi has improved every year at Texas. 

Sam Ehlinger has improved every year at Texas. 

Devin Duvernay has improved every year at Texas. 

Brandon Jones has improved every year at Texas (as a S, as a PR he’s a fine S). 

Cade Brewer has improved every year at Texas (injuries notwithstanding).

Derek Kerstetter has improved every year at Texas. 

Brennan Eagles has improved every year at Texas. 

Keondre Coburn has improved every year at Texas. 

Joseph Ossai has improved every year at Texas. 

Moro Ojomo has improved every year at Texas. 

Christian Jones has improved every year at Texas. 

RB room (sans Tre Watson who arrived fully cooked) ::

Keaontay Ingram. 

Daniel Young. 

Toneil Carter.

Kyle Porter. 

Kirk Johnson. 

There is not one RB there that has progressed under Drayton’s coaching despite being in a great S&C program, playing in an offense with an elite QB, with an elite playcaller, and with excellent weapons at WR. In fact, they appear to lose effectiveness under his tutelage. 

I don't see any reason to believe that he is doing a good job coaching his position (but several pointing to him doing it poorly) and he's been an abject failure recruiting it. I am sure that some of the value he brings is doing some of the shitty heavy-lifting behind the scenes (in terms of bedchecks, going to get guys when they're drunk and stupid somewhere, etc ...) but as a coach he's the worst on this staff. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

My expectation of a guy with Ingram's skillset in this offense is to be far better than pedestrian but let's compare the Ok State stats to the other guys that have played this same Ok State defense this season. 

I'll respond to more of this later but are you really using players from games that were blowouts to compare with Ingram? OK State was up 22 on Oregon State after 3 quarters. Up 49 points on McNeese State after 3 quarters. 

Of course their RBs/QBs put up yards in garbage time of blowouts. Even in the Oregon State game Oklahoma State was rotating a lot early in the game because they knew it wasn't a challenge. 

Context is your friend. Producing yards against OK State's 1st string defense in a close game is a lot different than producing in blowouts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

You guys seem fixated on the idea that my problem is with Keaontay Ingram as a player in fact it’s the opposite. I thought it was exceedingly clear that he was the most talented RB on our roster in 2018, including Tre Watson, he just needed development/maturation. Ingram showed very early on that he possesses excellent balance and lateral quickness. 

So let’s go through a few things that I think are undeniable facts and see if we disagree  ::

Tom Herman is an elite playcaller. As an OC there are very few guys in all of CFB that are as good as, or better than, Tom Herman. 

Yancy McKnight and his S&C staff are elite. There are very few S&C programs that can compare the results that we have seen with this staff. 

Sam Ehlinger is an elite QB. There are very few QBs in college football that are as good as, or better than, Sam.  

Sam Ehlinger is an extremely difficult matchup for DCs because he creates yards and problems with his legs - causing teams to have to spy and/or allocate resources to him in the running game. 

This Texas OL features multiple guys that will go on to play for a long time in the NFL. It is an above average unit, that is better at pass pro, but is better than most P5 OLs in run blocking as well. 

This Texas WR corps is above average. Featuring a couple of NFL guys at various points in their deveiopment and a couple of matchup issues that might not be NFL guys but have to be accounted for, often with help in terms of scheme and personnel. 

Is there anything here that anyone disagrees with? 

So with all of those advantages our current RB production is pedestrian.  Does anyone disagree with that? My expectation of a guy with Ingram's skillset in this offense is to be far better than pedestrian but let's compare the Ok State stats to the other guys that have played this same Ok State defense this season. 

Keaontay Ingram is a better athlete and far better RB than he is showing and I think it falls almost fully a the feet of Stan Drayton and I’m honestly stunned anyone feels any different. I felt the same way last season with Daniel Young who ran with utter brutality as a FR and was clearly and markedly better than Kyle fucking Porter and pillow-soft Chris fucking Warren. Both of whom Drayton started over Young. How many fucking times did we see INANE RB rotations in that season - where Drayton would replace a RB finding his rhythm with motherfucking drive killing Porter? The 2018 season rolls around and Daniel Young goes from being a bull in a china shop to a grandma in a china shop. Hunting. Pecking. Hesitant. Thinking instead of running instinctually, and with it the fumbles … all markers of a player who has been over-coached. Praise be to xfer Tre Watson who fucking saved the 2018 season. Keontay Ingram gets carries and looks incredibly quick - with excellent instincts and an ability to be liquid and avoid direct contact. He displays not only burst but great lateral quickness and balance. 2019 rolls around and that same liquid RB is now hunting. Pecking. Hesitant. Thinking instead of running instinctually. The EXACT bullshit we had seen with Daniel Young 12 months earlier. You guys honestly disagree with that? In this offense, with this talent, this S&C program, and this staff a guy with Ingram’s skill set should be absolutely killing it. He should be a fucking nightmare for defenses to account for. That is my expectation. It’s not about Ingram’s lack of talent or ability - the opposite - it’s about that ability being squandered by a coach whose every action seems like he would rather be back in the NFL than coaching college.  ¯\_()_/¯

I’ll try another angle, let’s look at some guys at various position groups. 

Sam Cosmi has improved every year at Texas. 

Sam Ehlinger has improved every year at Texas. 

Devin Duvernay has improved every year at Texas. 

Brandon Jones has improved every year at Texas (as a S, as a PR he’s a fine S). 

Cade Brewer has improved every year at Texas (injuries notwithstanding).

Derek Kerstetter has improved every year at Texas. 

Brennan Eagles has improved every year at Texas. 

Keondre Coburn has improved every year at Texas. 

Joseph Ossai has improved every year at Texas. 

Moro Ojomo has improved every year at Texas. 

Christian Jones has improved every year at Texas. 

RB room (sans Tre Watson who arrived fully cooked) ::

Keaontay Ingram. 

Daniel Young. 

Toneil Carter.

Kyle Porter. 

Kirk Johnson. 

There is not one RB there that has progressed under Drayton’s coaching despite being in a great S&C program, playing in an offense with an elite QB, with an elite playcaller, and with excellent weapons at WR. In fact, they appear to lose effectiveness under his tutelage. 

I don't see any reason to believe that he is doing a good job coaching his position (but several pointing to him doing it poorly) and he's been an abject failure recruiting it. I am sure that some of the value he brings is doing some of the shitty heavy-lifting behind the scenes (in terms of bedchecks, going to get guys when they're drunk and stupid somewhere, etc ...) but as a coach he's the worst on this staff. 

You’ve become completely unhinged over this Drayton thing. This reads like the ramblings of a crazy person. We’re talking daddy98 level stuff here. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

https://texassports.com/news/2021/5/17/football-video-drayton-family-a-formidable-team.aspx

Gymnast Amari Drayton, family a formidable team

16-year-old Amari Drayton is on the U.S. women’s national gymnastics team. Her dad, Stan, is the run game coordinator and running backs coach at the University of Texas. Along with Amari’s mother and sister, the Drayton family is a formidable team. Sports Director Mark Berman explains.

• Hook 'Em 3