The Walk the Walk 2020 Campaign Activity "Blog"

tantric superman

Here is where you post anything you do beyond giving money and voting.  Plans/experiences working in small ways or big ways on individual campaigns.  Maybe guilt about not doing anything, or frustration/cynicism about the pointlessness of it.  Identify dates and locations of rallies, events.

But mostly about things actually being done.  I was lightly involved in three campaigns last year where we threw the Trumpistas out, so I'm kind of positive about the possibilities -- just realizing that defending the seats might not be as fun...

• Like 2

My main effort will be supporting Kara Eastman in NE-2. (If she loses her primary, I will join whoever beats her.). So far, that’s meant walking in three parades with her and wearing the campaign shirts. (I think wearing the shirts is underrated.). Eventually it means knocking on doors.

I also attend the county Dem meetings. They suck, but it helps with identifying which down ballot candidates I want to invest in. We need to build the bench with good people.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did 2 hours of phonebanking for Bernie yesterday, talking to Californians. Zero negative reactions, a few very enthusiastic/appreciative. Mostly a vibe of "I'm into it but that's really far away, let's talk in like 4 months." The Texan accent is usually a hit with people on the coasts, so I play it up a little.

No matter who your candidate is, remember that people like being asked to help. If you make someone feel like they're part of something big and that their support is actually important, they are more likely to respond than just asking them who they like. You won't be asking for money or asking them to do anything hard, so it's easy. All you'll really be doing is making sure the campaign knows where to put their time/money.

If people ask to be removed or get mad, all you do is cheerfully say, "Sorry to bother you, have a great evening" and take them off the list. Campaigns don't want to deal with hostile people (this is why the freakout about the BERN app has always been so stupid).

I haven't done any NY dialing to make sure people are registered as Dems by the time NY's idiotic October deadline hits. I want to do that soon.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 6:21 PM, Tuco said:

(I think wearing the shirts is underrated.)

Agreed.

My "Medicare for All" shirt has started a few conversations at the gym and a few passing fistbumps. (There's only a little "Bernie" on the sleeve, so it's not really a candidate shirt, more of an issue.)

Just getting the message out really matters.

I’m in charge of getting signatures for my congressional district to get Beto on the ballot and I’ve signed up to be a Beto delegate at both the state and national conventions.

And wearing a T-shirt may not seem like a big thing but in a very red state being the one person to stick your hand up can be very empowering to others who feel the same but are afraid to speak up.

I either get suspicious side eyes or very enthusiastic “I love your shirt!” reactions.

I’ve only encountered one asshole. He muttered something about “fake Mexican” and I pulled out my phone and asked him to repeat what he just said so I could get him canceled.

(I wasn’t even recording him, I just felt like being an ass)

Dude turned around and left the convenience store so fast. The Pakistani cashier about fell over laughing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

And wearing a T-shirt may not seem like a big thing but in a very red state being the one person to stick your hand up can be very empowering to others who feel the same but are afraid to speak up.

I either get suspicious side eyes or very enthusiastic “I love your shirt!” reactions.

Truth

Going to a fundraiser here in northern Virginia for state house delegates on Monday. First fundraiser like this I've been too. Going to do a bunch of blockwalkongnfor the four delegates too.

2020, I'm all in for Liz. Will help Beto too if he gets a bit more competitive where I think he has a shot at getting on the ticket. 

• Like 1

Just finished my first conference call with Beto’s Manager of Ballot Access.

We have to get 500 signatures statewide to get him on the ballot but we’re going for 1,000 just for padding in case unregistered voters sign up.

I’m volunteering to be the Lead Coordinator in Alabama as they don’t have staff or a field office here.

I’m feeling pretty proud of myself!

• Like 5

I block walked for Beto and Sri Kulkarni last year. I found it to be surprisingly rewarding, and I would like to do something similar next year.

I see myself donating to a presidential candidate but otherwise directing my efforts down ballot. Sri is running again and a local TX House candidate is getting some buzz. There's a shockingly few number of TX House seats that need flipping (like 10?) in order to flip the whole chamber. That would be HUGE. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 10:04 PM, berlinerbaer said:

I see myself donating to a presidential candidate but otherwise directing my efforts down ballot.

This is smart and, honestly, a way more useful spend of your time than what I'm doing.

If Bernie falls apart (either physically because he's old as hell or is 3rd or worse in delegates after Super Tuesday) then I'll probably just see who Our Revolution is endorsing and focus on them.

I've done a ton of walking and phonebanking, and incidents like these are rare, but if y'all are going to go out there, prepare for them.

- Know your candidate really well
- Start every interaction by being more interested in the person you're talking to than the candidate
- Don't promise things or pretend to have connections you don't
- Don't ever scold or threaten (even mildly)

• Like 1

BETO IS COMING TO ALABAMA!!!!

He’s speaking at the Alabama Democratic Conference in Birmingham next Saturday and I’m heading down to help collect signatures to get him on the ballot and to be part of the group of supporters to welcome him outside the event.

Fingers crossed I get to meet him and get a selfie!

• Like 2

I block walked a few times for Beto in his senate campaign in my small, conservative town.

People were mostly polite and willing to talk, at least the ones that answered their doors, although most were probably going to vote R anyway or not vote at all.

Edit: I also sport the Beto t-shirt on occasion. I got more comments on that shirt when I wore it in DC back before the senate campaign than I do here. My Obama shirt gets more comments, both positive and negative, than my Beto shirt.

Edited by High Plains Drifter