Apple Special Event, September 2019

atomheartbevo

Apple Arcade interesting, Frogger looked lame as fuck.  Would think Konami can do better.  

Am glad they skipped the updates and jumped right into product launches.  

$5 a month is a solid price for Arcade

$5 a month for AppleTV, and free for a year with certain Apple devices.   

Edited by atomheartbevo

New iPhone 11.  Toughest glass ever on a smartphone (still going to crack in the parking lot when dropped while loading groceries).  

Spatial audio, Dolby Atmos.  Dual-camera system, 12MP Wide camera, 26 mm f/1.8, OIS, 12MP Ultrawide camera, 13mm f/2.4, 120-degree field of view.  36% brighter flash.

New camera interface is cool for working with the dual cameras.   Improved HDR.

9-inch display

Spoiler

kidding, 6-inch

Night Mode is pretty slick for brightening night shots.

They appear to have beefed up the video production aspects of it.  Then again, they have all kinds of engineers and perfect lighting to pull that off.

Damn, they really upgraded the CPU (A13) and GPU.

Edited by atomheartbevo

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I would like to see a word count for the word “ever” at these events.

Longest battery life in an iPhone ever.

Some of the longest run-on sentences ever.

I do love how they show all of these commercials where you don't see a single protective case on any of these phones.

Starting at $699.  Surprised.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

yeah, "this enables pro photography!!"
every professional photographer on earth: lulz

Yeah, we are a long ways off from me giving up my SLR/DSLR cameras. And I am just an enthusiast who sells a couple dozen prints a year.

Not saying one can’t take a great photo with a phone and profit, but the optical excellence and abilities are not the same.

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah, we are a long ways off from me giving up my SLR/DSLR cameras. And I am just an enthusiast who sells a couple dozen prints a year.

Not saying one can’t take a great photo with a phone and profit, but the optical excellence and abilities are not the same.

Their big selling point is that the phone can help overcome some amateur mistakes (or lack of knowledge), and that they are representative of the "the best camera is the one you have with you".

2 minutes ago, TexMex Horn said:

It may just be me, but I just don't get the camera fascination. 99% of my photos are never seen again. & the quality has been just fine for years now.

It's pretty important in journalism where less and less photogs have full-time jobs.

Their big selling point is that the phone can help overcome some amateur mistakes (or lack of knowledge), and that they are representative of the "the best camera is the one you have with you".

Which is true and fine. And the camera is just as good as many point and shoot cameras (with less optical zoom capability). But, I have my DSLR with me about 60% of the time anyways.

Ever.

3 minutes ago, TexMex Horn said:

It may just be me, but I just don't get the camera fascination. 99% of my photos are never seen again. & the quality has been just fine for years now.

This is largely true although the best Android phones have jumped waaay ahead on low light photography. Apple needs to catch up with this generation. It's not really about well-lit photos in ideal conditions looking better, it's more that the phone manufacturers are slowly moving toward a world in which any person with any level of photography knowledge can pull their phone out in any condition and get a great picture.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Which is true and fine. And the camera is just as good as many point and shoot cameras (with less optical zoom capability). But, I have my DSLR with me about 60% of the time anyways.

Ever.

I'm still surprised that point & shoots are still around in the numbers that they are.  I don't think they'll go the way of photo scanners, but I would have thought it'd be down to 2-3 companies.

I'm still surprised that point & shoots are still around in the numbers that they are.  I don't think they'll go the way of photo scanners, but I would have thought it'd be down to 2-3 companies.

Yeah, if someone has a modern smart phone and goes and buys a point and shoot with less than 5x zoom, they just flushed their money down the toilet.

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

This is largely true although the best Android phones have jumped waaay ahead on low light photography. Apple needs to catch up with this generation. It's not really about well-lit photos in ideal conditions looking better, it's more that the phone manufacturers are slowly moving toward a world in which any person with any level of photography knowledge can pull their phone out in any condition and get a great picture.

And that's good - and it appears Apple is working on the low-light stuff.

Apple has that problem of trying to sell to the commoners, and to the pros though, and sometimes they seem to have some form of analysis paralysis.

This kind of stuff looks sexy, but 95% of the photos these things take will be the "photos of your kids or dogs doing something you thought was amusing or cool"

spacer.png

Ok so I just got my wife an XR Aug 31st - her old 6S broke and I had no options.

There's a 14 day return window which ends this coming saturday.  Pre-orders start for the 11 Friday but it won't likely be available until the 20th at the earliest.

Now what do I do?  If I had an old usable iphone to let her use until the 11 arrives I would.  I paid about the same for it, I think, as what the new 11 will cost (although I'm sure the trade-in value of the old 6s will be lower than it was 2 weeks ago - got $150 for it, surprisingly).  She'd appreciate the better camera, and maybe battery life, but that's about it.

Someone help me come up with a plan.

Considering that 99% of iPhone users photographs are of completely worthless shit that couldn't be made interesting with the copywriter from J. Peterman and an Angenieux optima lens......why the heightened demand and willingness to pay several hundred dollars more for a camera feature that only incrementally improves photographs?  Most iPhone users are still living the same pedestrian lives in the same place with the same lighting.  Was the camera on the old phone the thing holding people back from traveling to interesting places and banging interesting people?  

43 minutes ago, Horny04 said:

Ok so I just got my wife an XR Aug 31st - her old 6S broke and I had no options.

There's a 14 day return window which ends this coming saturday.  Pre-orders start for the 11 Friday but it won't likely be available until the 20th at the earliest.

Now what do I do?  If I had an old usable iphone to let her use until the 11 arrives I would.  I paid about the same for it, I think, as what the new 11 will cost (although I'm sure the trade-in value of the old 6s will be lower than it was 2 weeks ago - got $150 for it, surprisingly).  She'd appreciate the better camera, and maybe battery life, but that's about it.

Someone help me come up with a plan.

She can't survive 9 days without a fucking phone? Is she a millennial?  Buy her a $20 burner phone to get her by.

So no discounts on the older phones? That’s the only reason I was excited for today.

I don’t think I’ve ever been less than 3 generations behind. I’m rocking an SE right now and I hate to give it up because I love the size but the battery is starting to fail.  I was hoping to pick up 7 at a deep discount today, maybe even splurge for an 8.  There is absolutely nothing that I need done in my day-to-day life that I can’t do with an older model phone.   The last  new feature that I thought made it worth it was the  Touch ID, nothing that has come out after that has really moved the needle for me.