WTF is this? Green Day

jimmyjazz

OK, I'm not a big Green Day fan, but Dookie holds a soft spot in my heart for setting the bar that all poppy punk-n-roll bands should aspire to (and almost always miss).  

That said, this new tune is utter garbage.  It sounds like Maroon 5 tried to knock off Jack White.  This makes it the trifecta of suck.  Fall Out Boy is apoplectic yet feeling superior.

Don't blame me if you click:

Yeah, that's pretty awful.

I enjoyed them a lot when I was younger.  I got super into The Who shortly after I got out of my pop punk/punk phase, and that was right when American Idiot was coming out.  It seemed like a great homage, and the perfect soundtrack to everything at the time.  I think that was my sophomore year at ISU.

I listened to it last year for the first time in over 10 years and chuckled at the idea of thinking this was even above average, let alone brilliant.

Dookie and Nimrod still hold up for what they are.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

It doesn't even remotely sound like anything they've ever done.  It certainly doesn't sound like Billie Joe Armstrong on vocals.  I highly doubt one of the other guys sang it, but crimony, it's just flat out awful either way.

I agree with statements one and two but not three.

They created something different (for them). Sounds like rock n roll to me.

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Green Day has been a stadium band for 15 years. 

They weren't selling out *arenas* on their last tour, and the two times they played in MLB stadiums, they had 10K+ unsold tickets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_Radio_Tour

The American Idiot tour played ZERO stadiums.

Shit, when they came to Austin in 2013, they played Moody Theatre.  

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I mean are we just getting into semantics because American Idiot played plenty of arenas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idiot_World_Tour

Is there a difference between a "stadium band" and an "arena band"? You can't just play "stadiums"

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean are we just getting into semantics because American Idiot played plenty of arenas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idiot_World_Tour

Is there a difference between a "stadium band" and an "arena band"? You can't just play "stadiums"

Stadium = where football or baseball teams play, min capacity = 30K

Arena = where basketball or hockey teams play, max capacity = 20K

All of the US venues on this Green Day tour are baseball or baseball stadiums.

Not sure why you're being so damn obtuse.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm not being obtuse I just didn't know there was much of a difference between a "stadium" band and "arena" band. I get your point now. 

On 9/20/2019 at 1:23 PM, Beau Vine said:

they are playing Minute Maid Park in Houston next August, and have played large stadiums at times in the past.  I wouldn't say they're a perennial stadium band, but certainly they can play those venues in certain markets.  

I ilked liked Dookie for about three spins until their fake punk revival ripoff got stale already. They have sucked shit ever since. They are also a prime example of what an absurd pile of crap the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame really is.

Eventually every guitars/drums/vox band will be in the R&R HoF because they are running out of rock bands. 10 years from now they’ll be inducting the Lumineers and Cage the Elephant.

4 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

they are playing Minute Maid Park in Houston next August, and have played large stadiums at times in the past.  I wouldn't say they're a perennial stadium band, but certainly they can play those venues in certain markets.  

They weren't selling out *arenas* on their last tour, and the two times they played in MLB stadiums, they had 10K+ unsold tickets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_Radio_Tour

Shit, when they came to Austin in 2013, they played Moody Theatre.