Changes to the Politics (Cloak Room) coming soon

immamac

Honestly, I get the whole punish the cloak room with ads thing because it does leak out into the rest of the sight, but it is a necessary evil and apparently a quite lucrative one as well. But if you want it to continue that way, it needs to be usable and inobtrusive enough not to drive people away. We've all clicked on a news sight that's ads were so bad we noped right on out of there and went somewhere else. I'm hoping that is not the goal here. I'm honestly surprised that this site hasn't been monetized with ads before now. I have no problem with them as long as they don't significantly interfere with my use of the site.

Things seemed better today, so maybe it has something to do with some stuff that is out of your control, but the ads that show up within the page that you just kind of scroll through aren't loading until you get to them or something. And then when they load they randomly move everything else up or down and you have to scroll through everything to figure out what the rest of the sentence you were reading was saying. That's a prett significant deterrence to bringing in sustained revenue 

Put all the adds you want, but make sure the experience doesn't suck.

I smashed your mom's tuna with my noodle for just 83 cents.  

The "Chipped Chopped" part left all of us confused though.  And no longer kosher, and suffering from restless leg syndrome.

On 4/13/2021 at 12:53 AM, Ted Lange said:

There should be ads in the DT/GOPussyAssBitch forum 

No shit, the only reason I started posting in the CR was because DT was allowed to become the conservative version of CR, and somehow I got two timeouts in a month for reposting Trump tweets (with no commentary) in the Covid thread.  

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

No shit, the only reason I started posting in the CR was because DT was allowed to become the conservative version of CR, and somehow I got two timeouts in a month for reposting Trump tweets (with no commentary) in the Covid thread.  

Delete DT/CR

Recreate as "Dumbass Shit on the News," it all devolves into politics anyway.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Maybe this is by design, but ads on the CR are now showing on top of the content and borking shit up (crashing the page, preventing posting, etc.). 

Yep. It doesn't happen on my pc but it's there everytime on my phone. It renders the entire forum useless. Might as well make it subscription based content at that point. 

15 hours ago, Chooky said:

Yep. It doesn't happen on my pc but it's there everytime on my phone. It renders the entire forum useless. Might as well make it subscription based content at that point. 

iOS and chrome? Pancho sent me a screenshot of this happening to him. The more info I have the more likely I can fix it. 

6 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Why shouldn't ads be on every forum?

They are for lurkers and non-members. The cloak room has ads for anyone who doesn't support the site financially. 

Lurker Members have an ad lite experience. Lurkers have cr ad experience everywhere. 

5 hours ago, immamac said:

They are for lurkers and non-members. The cloak room has ads for anyone who doesn't support the site financially. 

Lurker Members have an ad lite experience. Lurkers have cr ad experience everywhere. 

I struggle to understand the reasoning behind the different rules for the sightly left leaning cloak room vs the right leaning daily texan, unless we're still pretending that threads like the homeless issue are totally just filled with daily news updates and not at all political hot takes. And if it's supporting the site financially you're concerned with why not just have the same experience throughout.

Guest Lobo

My fist opted out of his mom's anus.  

What were we talking about again?  Oh yeah, ad deal on CR seems to be smoother now.  

FWIW-I think the CR is tilting closer back to center again as of late.  I got my half my rep back on TOS from questioning Obama's policies and relentlessly berating Hillary Clinton.  I sat out the first year of the Trump regime.  Then kinda questioned him a bit second year.  Then lost my shit, as my nation lost its shit, in his 3rd and 4th years.  But now I'm part of the liberal CR cabal?  Maybe there's no way to get intelligent, bipartisan discussions going again.  But it can at least not be this place where those of us who question both sides aren't awash in bitching and moaning from both sides either.  I honestly don't remember CR being labeled by many of you back in 2015 or even 2017.  Now, it's not even the CR content that gets people up in arms, it's the very fact that it exists that gets so many of you so butt-hurt.  

I fucking loathe bleeding heart liberals as much as I do GQP conservatives. I'm somehow a lubcuck centrist now, I have no idea how that happened much like Lobo. I'm actually squarely a progressive conservative (see the ideology threads or the bull moose progressive party).

That being said I don't spend much time at all in DT is it really that political? Every time I get reported posts its not politics, its just peoples opinions about shit. Its not talking about policy or politicians so idk what the fuck is CR about it. 

Also the CR is not at all left leaning, its just not welcoming to extremism of any kind. Bernie bros get shit on just as hard as obvious GQP supporters. There are 2 "conservative" parties forming in real time it will be a lot easier to digest what GQP means when there is a real GOP and a GQP. Everyone who says its a cabal comes in there and says some of the dumbest non logically following shit ever and then claims everyone is flaming and not accepting their point of view. Look man, if your point of view is that shit tastes good or that the sky is always purple or that Donald Trump didn't incite a riot on January 6th your shit is gonna get lit up in CR. @DonkeyCigars posts a lot in there and isn't flamed or negged off the board and he is not an extremist, but holds very traditional conservative views. Funny how that works. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, immamac said:

I fucking loathe bleeding heart liberals as much as I do GQP conservatives. I'm somehow a lubcuck centrist now, I have no idea how that happened much like Lobo. I'm actually squarely a progressive conservative (see the ideology threads or the bull moose progressive party).

That being said I don't spend much time at all in DT is it really that political? Every time I get reported posts its not politics, its just peoples opinions about shit. Its not talking about policy or politicians so idk what the fuck is CR about it. 

Also the CR is not at all left leaning, its just not welcoming to extremism of any kind. Bernie bros get shit on just as hard as obvious GQP supporters. There are 2 "conservative" parties forming in real time it will be a lot easier to digest what GQP means when there is a real GOP and a GQP. Everyone who says its a cabal comes in there and says some of the dumbest non logically following shit ever and then claims everyone is flaming and not accepting their point of view. Look man, if your point of view is that shit tastes good or that the sky is always purple or that Donald Trump didn't incite a riot on January 6th your shit is gonna get lit up in CR. @DonkeyCigars posts a lot in there and isn't flamed or negged off the board and he is not an extremist, but holds very traditional conservative views. Funny how that works. 

I mostly lurk now, but yeah. Donkey is a good poster despite the fact that I disagree with a fair amount of what he says. He is willing to listen, consider new information, and hold an honest discussion without reducing the conversation to a wall of talking points, which is fucking light years past the capabilities of a lot of people.

Facts work in the CR and DT. If new to either board, come friendly - with sources and cites for more advanced issues. 

The cultural knowledge of your best writers is amazing. Cormac McCarthy would be proud of this place. 

Spoiler

Posit for the purpose of perhaps illuminating (in the form of uninvited advice):

The wise (not me) in both forums share a salon/seminar culture similar the French Salons in Early Modern Revolutionary France.

• Some believe the emergence of the public sphere in France blossomed into Public Sphere we see today - the good, bad, and ugly. 

This community persists in an open sphere environment, which is rather rare (most have been infested and any value eliminated).

There are some very bright people here (not me).

Unique rhetorical tools, memes, "reveries" are welded into the culture of this community

• Knowledge of these tools invites unity, which encourages community development.
    • Think of the tools like easter eggs. 
    • These tools are largely intact and effective - and largely pristine.
    • They remain:
      • effective and
      • valuable. 

Some of the so-labeled shit posts serve the purpose of unity (especially when tied into the "reveries" of earlier incarnations of the community's forums). 

For example:

Young Celebrity Photo Gallery: Mira Sorvino as Young Woman

It doesn't matter if one read it at the time. That shitpost help keep this micro-culture alive. 

Business TLDR: 

• Truth is in demand, which creates an opportunity for curated content
  • There is value in providing facts. 
  • Levity and banter supply entertainment (the bread and circuses of both the DT and CR) that can protect the community. 

Protect your best writers. Your best humorists. Protect your best curators (moderator doesn't describe the difficulty of the art of curation - on behalf of the community).

Do it. Monetization is not a dirty word. It keeps the community alive. And it rewards those who promote it.

Spoiler

Nothing here. ~Old Jedi Mind Trick

To the CR/DT writers, humorists, sages, and muses, thank you. I always learn something from you lot.

The most difficult questions are the no-brainers.

(The band hated music videos, or so goes the tale . . . ).

Edited by washparkhorn

21 hours ago, Lobo said:

But now I'm part of the liberal CR cabal?  Maybe there's no way to get intelligent, bipartisan discussions going again.  But it can at least not be this place where those of us who question both sides aren't awash in bitching and moaning from both sides either.  I honestly don't remember CR being labeled by many of you back in 2015 or even 2017.  Now, it's not even the CR content that gets people up in arms, it's the very fact that it exists that gets so many of you so butt-hurt.  

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 1