The Deuce Final Season

Message Board User

On 9/11/2019 at 9:05 AM, RomaVicta said:

I can see the quality in the series, but I didn't like being in that seedy world. I gave up after the first two episodes. 

I was also afraid of getting lung cancer from so much second-hand movie smoke.

This is how I felt about it initially and didn't last but a couple of eps.

Then it ended and I decided to go back to it.  After getting past the grime, I thought I kind of liked some of the characters.

Then I decided I didn't really like any of them, much.

Recognize the quality of the acting and the scene-to-scene writing.

Overall kind of left me flat.

On 10/22/2019 at 1:17 AM, Saint Tacky said:

Off topic, but Larry Kramer's "The Normal Heart" is a raw and gritty look at the AIDS crisis in New York in the 80s.  I saw it on Broadway when it re-debuted in 2011.  It's intense and heartbreaking, and I just felt like I had seen something really important.  HBO picked it up and did a movie several years later that is extremely graphic, but it captures the terror, uncertainty, and the helplessness that whole community was experiencing. It's not an emotional pick-me-up either.

For those that are interested in this topic, there is an amazing fiction book out called the "The Great Believers" By Rebecca Makkai which is set in Chicago's Boys Town during the height of the epidemic. It was deeply researched with the few survivors of that time, so gives a pretty jarring look at the epidemic at the ground level.

For those of us with lots of gay friends, it's always jarring to realize how few gay boomer men survived.  It's entire missing generation.

On The Deuce, I didn't love the ending, it felt a bit schmaltz-y. I felt like you could have done that same change shot without Vincent is a long pan through, and just brushed over Abbey doing a deal while stomping through Times Square.

Edited by Bateshorn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished up season 3 finally, I throught they did a good job in the last episode tyoing every thing together.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:53 PM, irishtexan said:

That ending was fucking stupid. No resolution for Paul. I guess because he’s walking with a cane in the last episode we know he has AIDS now? After spending the whole season hunting that he doesn’t.

Lame.

The thing that made AIDS terrifying was how randomly quick it was for some people, and how others could go for years as HIV+ without any obvious syptoms until it was at the end game. 

There were multiple cases of victims who absolutely could not have been exposed to it more than 9 months before their diagnosis and they died within 1 year of their exposure date. 

Yet there were many, many other cases of HIV+ carriers being carriers for 3,4,5,6,7 years before they got full blown AIDS.  

And those carriers were (in many cases) unknowing infectors for most, if not all of the time they had the disease.  It was one of the reasons ( besides the legit CR stuff about the govt and CDC not helping), that it took so long to figure out the whole infection lifecycle.

Until you had actual AIDS it was entirely possible that you looked, felt and acted perfectly healthy. It just depended on how long the virus took to wipe out your T-Cells that determined when you went from feeling fine to knowing you had maybe a few months left.   

Paul's storyline matched a lot of the infected folks, they most likely became infected say 1979/1980, felt fine, but, starting pretty regularly around 1983/1984 they started losing friend, after friend, after friend, including numerous sexual partners, and they realized there was no way they were clean.     Paul himself said that in the episode after Todd died that he knew he had the disease, it just took an extra year or 3 to fully manifest itself in him (also in the episode before the final he was limping heavily while closing the bathouse).

So yes, its was pretty clear the show wanted us to know that Paul didnt make it.

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I just finished up season 3 finally, I throught they did a good job in the last episode tyoing every thing together.

The thing that made AIDS terrifying was how randomly quick it was for some people, and how others could go for years as HIV+ without any obvious syptoms until it was at the end game. 

There were multiple cases of victims who absolutely could not have been exposed to it more than 9 months before their diagnosis and they died within 1 year of their exposure date. 

Yet there were many, many other cases of HIV+ carriers being carriers for 3,4,5,6,7 years before they got full blown AIDS.  

And those carriers were (in many cases) unknowing infectors for most, if not all of the time they had the disease.  It was one of the reasons ( besides the legit CR stuff about the govt and CDC not helping), that it took so long to figure out the whole infection lifecycle.

Until you had actual AIDS it was entirely possible that you looked, felt and acted perfectly healthy. It just depended on how long the virus took to wipe out your T-Cells that determined when you went from feeling fine to knowing you had maybe a few months left.   

Paul's storyline matched a lot of the infected folks, they most likely became infected say 1979/1980, felt fine, but, starting pretty regularly around 1983/1984 they started losing friend, after friend, after friend, including numerous sexual partners, and they realized there was no way they were clean.     Paul himself said that in the episode after Todd died that he knew he had the disease, it just took an extra year or 3 to fully manifest itself in him (also in the episode before the final he was limping heavily while closing the bathouse).

So yes, its was pretty clear the show wanted us to know that Paul didnt make it.

Yeah. I understand the varying incubation periods of HIV. I thought the scene was cinematically fucking stupid. Cane = AIDS = DUMB

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 9:24 PM, mdmost said:

Sounds promising. Simon getting back to Baltimore and a police procedural. Do we have any idea on a release date?