Carnival Row (Amazon, Orlando Bloom, Cara D.)

Nice Guy Eddie

SIAP.  Anyone else watching this? I finished it the other night and was fairly impressed about the overall tone of the show. This wasn't some low budget SyFy series but rather Amazon spend a fair amount on it.   Its got an unique vibe of 1800s London with Lord of the Rings creatures interacting with humans. Also stars Jared Harris, Indira Varma (Rome) and the original Daenerys actress from Game of Thrones (who was replaced after the original pilot.)

Hits on themes of racism, social classes, xenophobia, political intrigue, religious cults, etc.  the police/crime storylines made me think of The Alienist books as well.  Fair amount of sex and violence.

I don't think it was perfect but not a bad 1st season. they may have tried to put too much into 1 season. Hopefully it improves while keeping the weirdness factor. 

I've seen the first episode and a halfish and it hasn't really drawn me back but I didn't dislike it. I'll probably finish it at some point. 

It doesn't seem like they are totally dialed in on what they are going for, but maybe that's a good thing so as to keep it less derivative of what else is out there. 

• 4 months later...

I just got around to it within the past week.  Much like the Expanse, I found the first couple of episodes confusing as they introduced all the characters and plot lines.  By the end of episode 3, I was hooked, even if it is a bit dark for my personal tastes.  I would like more background/history of the various races.   

I've watched two episodes so far and have loved both. I didn't find the plot as confusing as others I guess and I've been able to follow along without getting lost.

Nudity levels are good, violence levels are good. It's shot absolutely beautifully in a steampunk type atmosphere, and professionally to the point where it looks like a feature film. 

I plan on binging this the rest of the weekend. 

On 2/14/2020 at 10:14 AM, TankedBevo said:

I've watched two episodes so far and have loved both. I didn't find the plot as confusing as others I guess and I've been able to follow along without getting lost.

Nudity levels are good, violence levels are good. It's shot absolutely beautifully in a steampunk type atmosphere, and professionally to the point where it looks like a feature film. 

I plan on binging this the rest of the weekend. 

I finished up the first season last night, very good to great first season and I'm glad I just randomly decided to watch. I watched the first episode on my own and I started to explain to my wife the premise and there's literally no way of doing that to make it sound like something anyone would enjoy lol. Now when I recommend it to people it'll be "Just fuckin watch it."

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

I finished up the first season last night, very good to great first season and I'm glad I just randomly decided to watch. I watched the first episode on my own and I started to explain to my wife the premise and there's literally no way of doing that to make it sound like something anyone would enjoy lol. Now when I recommend it to people it'll be "Just fuckin watch it."

yep that was my problem starting it