SNL 45

RPM

'Saturday Night Live' adds 3 cast members, including show's only Asian American series regular

(CNN) - NBC's "Saturday Night Live" has added comedians Chloe Fineman, Shane Gillis and Bowen Yang as featured players for the upcoming 45th season.

Yang joined the sketch show's writing staff last season and appeared as North Korean leader Kim Jong Un when "Killing Eve" star Sandra Oh hosted in March. The NYU graduate's casting is also noteworthy as he's the only Asian American series regular in this cast.
Fineman is known for her work with improv company The Groundlings, a noted "SNL" training ground, and for the ace celebrity (and other) impressions that she posts on her social channels.
Gillis, like Fineman, has been a New Face at Montreal's Just for Laughs Festival. He also can be frequently heard on Comedy Central Radio's "The Bonfire."
The casting news comes a few weeks after it was reported that Emmy-nominated "SNL" favorite Leslie Jones was leaving the show.
"SNL" also has announced a partial lineup of hosts for the new season, booking former cast member Eddie Murphy for the show's holiday episode on December 21 and "Fleabag's" Phoebe Waller-Bridge for the October 5 show.
The 45th season of "SNL" premieres September 28 with host Woody Harrelson and musical guest Billie Eilish.

Chloe-Fineman-Bowen-Yang-Shane-Gillis.jp

Leslie Jones was leaving the show

I can already tell this is going to be better than last year.

They either need to kill the show or push Lorne Michaels out. Doesn't matter what young talent you bring in when you have some out of touch old geezer pulling the strings.

Post..of..the..year. I can’t believe they’ve wasted that 1030 pm Saturday slot for so long. Eff em.

We get the same complaints every year, and I share some of those but will stay loyal. It is what it is, will always have some hits, some misses and mostly just ok sketches. I admit without DVR, I would have been gone ages ago. I hardly ever watch the musical guest and quite often skip the monologue. I mainly just admire what they can pull off in a live setting with just 5 days prep.

52 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Good. Fuck that guy. As a father of two Chinese children, I’d have an extremely difficult time restraining myself if someone used the word “chinks” around me. 

• 2 weeks later...

really good start to the season. Woody was great, i thought most of the sketches were pretty funny last night.

anytime we get some 'Bern Your Enthusiasm' it's a winner.

the wardrobe/stagehand mis-timing was hysterical

that whisper-singing Billie Eilish does is totally meh, but the rotating stage was a pretty cool trick

I cannot be the only one that thought  the Cheeto museum sketch was gonna somehow either involve Alec Baldwin or at least a mention of trump?   I was genuinely confused at the end of it. 

all in all, very funny with great cameos.  Especially when you can ffw through musical act.

”we are located in the part of upstate New York with confederate flags.”  

On 9/16/2019 at 3:31 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Not gonna lie...this was a pretty hilarious reply from a comedian that sounds like he's betting on himself:

“It feels ridiculous for comedians to making serious public statements but here we are,” Gillis wrote on Monday, using what appears to be a notes app on his phone. “I’m a comedian who was funny enough to get SNL. That can’t be taken away. Of course I wanted an opportunity to prove myself at SNL, but I understand it would be too much of a distraction. I respect the decision they made. I’m honestly grateful for the opportunity. I was always a [MADtv] guy anyway.”

Kate McKinnon is still the best.  I wasn't rolling on the floor laughing at the new Asian guy's thing during Weekend Update but it was a good performance that bodes well.  Did laugh at the Pete joke during weekend update, I assume he's off for a bit for... some reason. I don't recall seeing Heidi Gardner either, and she's usually pretty funny.  A little bummed that they didn't have Taylor Swift in a skit somewhere, seems like the kind of thing she'd do.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:29 PM, RPM said:

WANU Mid-day News is the best skit they've done in a while. Yeah Baby!

History Channel skit was solid.

Good ep so far.

Yep, laughed my ass off. At first I thought it was going to be a beating...I mean the whole premise could have come off really bad.  But they nailed it. 

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:26 AM, Rougarou said:

Also, people think Pete Davidson is funny?

Yeah.  I don't think he's smart or clever at all...I think just the way he is, his mannerisms, his look, is just funny.

Just found out Eddie Murphy will host the Christmas episode of SNL. Dis gonna be good.

Comedian Eddie Murphy will appear in his season's holiday episode on December 21, marking his first time hosting the show since he finished his run as a series regular in 1984. A musical guest for his episode has yet to be announced.

Just found out Eddie Murphy will host the Christmas episode of SNL. Dis gonna be good.
Comedian Eddie Murphy will appear in his season's holiday episode on December 21, marking his first time hosting the show since he finished his run as a series regular in 1984. A musical guest for his episode has yet to be announced.
Posted upthread.

• 1 month later...

[mention=332]Bama Chick[/mention]

Girl, I’ve been counting down the days! He was in a few skits when he was a musical guest in 2017 and was really great.

His new album comes out December 13th and he released the first single a couple of weeks ago, so he’ll probably sing that (“Lights Up”) and a new unheard song from the upcoming album. I’m hoping it’s a rumored song called “Watermelon Sugar”.

Fans have been camped outside the studio since Wednesday and apparently Lorne Michaels said it’s the biggest/longest camp out for tickets in SNL history.

And he just announced tour dates for next year and they go on sale Monday. So I’m very very excited!!!

PS - if anyone has any contacts at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville or anyone in the music industry that could hook a girl up...........

^^ great premise but no laughs.  Bamachick’s boy has been funny but he’s had jackshit to work with.  “The game” drug video skit was funny as hell but this has been horrible.  

what did this kid do to Lorne that he gets to wear his rings and nail polish in every skit?  

he’s Got some good comedic chops though.  But weak writing this week 

Edited by Lobo