SNL 45

RPM

Weeknd's bloody face continues a storyline from his music videos. Who knew? (not me)

Surely they could have done a better Debbie Downer, but it was cool to see her and there were a couple laughs. Lots of pre-taped stuff, which is fine with me since they're usually pretty funny. Bond actually getting on a hot craps roll was the highlight for me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lateshow said:

The cooking show, or whatever the hell, was one of the most unfunny skits I've seen. 

Yeah, i think they built a whole sketch around how Craig says aluminum and went with it.  The only laugh was “it’s just gum sweetie, you know?...shiny and tastes like coins.”

there wasn’t anything spectacular about the episode but nothing really fell flat either.  Add in the most acerbic WU and some some good cameos and I’d agree with above that this was a B/B+ episode.  

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Watched a few minutes last night, the only 'laugh' I got was the last joke on Weekend Update.  Any jokes making fun of blowU are alright in my book.

Yeah, I was pretty baked last night, but I felt like I was watching television programming from another planet during much of it. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

It was a hastily thrown together set of individual skits, by quarantined cast members using shit they found around their houses as props. Yeah, probably not gonna be Eddie Murphy Christmas show quality. 

I liked the part of the Zoom skit where they were making the same stupid jokes we've all been having to endure for a month. "Bob are you wearing pants? Hahaha! Hey, my dog is loving this! Hahaha!". 

You gotta lower the bar a ton for them right now. They did a nice job with editing and graphics. The Ego Nwodim (had to look her up) makeup bit and the teen film reviewer were pretty good imo. Still, I'd rather they took a couple more weeks off to work on the next one. But I guess NBC can't resist the ratings potential with everyone stuck at home.

Edited by Bartles
Weird autocorrect to Nowdirk

Horrible, this thing was.  There is no way in hell they couldn't have come up with something better, even with the current limitations.

First of all, it wasn't live so why did they feel they needed to produce it to feel like it sort of was, but sort of wasn't?  They could have had a much better production value if they wanted to.  Did they fire all their editors and producers and techs?  Very half pregnant feeling there.

And why does quarantine all of the sudden equate to no funny jokes?  Did they fire all their writers too?  The delivery is only part of what makes good comedy.  I understand the limitations on that (no makeup, props, etc), but you could still have some funny lines.  There were almost zero.

And no CR, but to use that format to politicize the current situation is cheap.  I don't care what side of the isle you're on, I usually LMAO at the fake Trump and could give two shits how far left they take things under normal circumstances, but right now it's pathetic and desperate.

I had high-ish hopes headed into this thing, but if anything, this just pretty much eliminated any shred of remaining respect I still had for SNL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Horrible, this thing was.  There is no way in hell they couldn't have come up with something better, even with the current limitations.

First of all, it wasn't live so why did they feel they needed to produce it to feel like it sort of was, but sort of wasn't?  They could have had a much better production value if they wanted to.  Did they fire all their editors and producers and techs?  Very half pregnant feeling there.

And why does quarantine all of the sudden equate to no funny jokes?  Did they fire all their writers too?  The delivery is only part of what makes good comedy.  I understand the limitations on that (no makeup, props, etc), but you could still have some funny lines.  There were almost zero.

And no CR, but to use that format to politicize the current situation is cheap.  I don't care what side of the isle you're on, I usually LMAO at the fake Trump and could give two shits how far left they take things under normal circumstances, but right now it's pathetic and desperate.

I had high-ish hopes headed into this thing, but if anything, this just pretty much eliminated any shred of remaining respect I still had for SNL.

I'm on Gilligan's. 

• Like 1

I don't blame SNL.  All of these live shows come off as weird and unfunny in their non-live, at-home atmospheres.

I also watch Last Week Tonight and Colbert, which both have lost their magic without live audiences.  Both come off as public cable access shows.  Maybe some of these shows should just take a break until all this blows over.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Papi and Whiskers 'R We had me cracking up, as well as Pitt as Fauci.  After 45 years this show, this show still thrives on the writers being altogether and able to pop in and out of the casts' offices to collaborate, all while everyone is drinking and doing blow.  You take that away and it obviously suffers.  That said, this was a marked step above the last effort a few weeks back.  No real duds in the bunch, mostly average, but a few gems as well.  I really liked it.  

This. And Jason Sudekis dancing in a tracksuit cracks my shit up.

Have heard him interviewed on a few different podcasts. He was on his high school basketball team and learned all those dance moves back then to crack up his teammates. Little did he know he would be honing the moves that would be his most popular SNL bit and the one that is most often brought up when people start taking to him about SNL.

7 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I like Miley Cyrus. It’s impressive that she went from Hannah Montana to what she is now. She’s talented, funny, and unconventional . She just doesn’t give a shit. 

I'm predisposed to hating Miley Cyrus. I hate her father with the heat of 1000 suns. Achy Breaky Suck My Dick. I think of her like Forrest Gump thought of Lt. Dan's NY whores. "She tastes like cigarettes!" I imagine she's an STD petri dish where they have a battle royale to determine the top viral load. Having said that, damn... that girl can sing. Best performance on SNL since Lady GaGa.

I'd like to see them go the MTV Unplugged route with music during this.

Edited by RPM

3 hours ago, RPM said:

I hate her father with the heat of 1000 suns. Achy Breaky Suck My Dick. I think of her like Forrest Gump thought of Lt. Dan's NY whores. "She tastes like cigarettes!" I imagine she's an STD petri dish where they have a battle royale to determine the top viral load.

Don’t sugar coat it...how do you really feel?

I know someone on this board upthread hates Melissa V like RPM hates BR Cyrus, but the notion her imaginary dream date leaves a deuce in the toilet had me rolling. Loved the cat thing and a couple others were fun. Really liked Fauci, but I didn’t think the earnest message from Pitt was necessary, but whatever. And I’m happy when others are happy, and my taste is no better than anyone else’s, but I’ve never been on board with the Big Papi impression, it just does nothing for me, and I’m a big Kenan fan. 

I don’t know if it’s my TV, but Pete Davidson’s audio on his raps? is always shitty. Fineman is kinda out there, she may have something with the right vehicle someday.

And someone in the graphics department probably worked damn hard to clean up a 10 year old moving image of Jason Sudeikis to superimpose over “What’s Up With That?”

• 2 weeks later...

Let Kids Drink! wasn't bad. WU was decent. Love it when they bag on Colin. Thought the dream sequence was excellent. It's not hard to do with that song.

Edited by RPM

Guest Lobo

Michael Che was brilliant on WU. 

Cold intro was funny with Trump trying to channel Baz Luhrmann/Mary Schmich with that awful commencement speech.  

Great to see Marty Short as always.  

That was the last new show on our DVR.  Tina Fey and I have several books in common although I own nothing by Amy Poehler. 

Let kids drink! 

Guest Lobo
53 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I enjoyed Chloe Fineman as Britney Spears. I watched it many times.

Yeah, that camel toe she had early on in the bit was quite aggressive.  

I liked most sketches, What's Wrong With This Picture? probably my favorite. And a strong WU for a change, including Tina's bit. I'm glad we're done with these though, the whole premise gets a little more depressing with each new episode.

You would think and hope they can get back in 8H next fall, maybe with a smaller audience (I know it's tight already).

28 minutes ago, Bartles said:

You would think and hope they can get back in 8H next fall, maybe with a smaller audience (I know it's tight already).

This is what I'm hoping for. I don't care about an audience. It would be pretty dry, but at least you would have full production values.