SNL 45

RPM

On 5/9/2020 at 11:07 PM, RPM said:

Let Kids Drink! wasn't bad. WU was decent. Love it when they bag on Colin. Thought the dream sequence was excellent. It's not hard to do with that song.

Yeah pretty much spot on.  Gotta admit the current WU tandem took a while to grow on me, but they have.  It's been good for a while now.  

Seems like the 2nd At Home SNL was the best of the bunch though.

On 5/10/2020 at 5:54 PM, Red Five said:

I enjoyed Chloe Fineman as Britney Spears. I watched it many times.

And Yes.

Guest Lobo

She's super cute, but needs another season to cut her comedic teeth.  Speaking of that, Villasenor had another ho-hum season, but her impression of Mulaney was fucking hilarious.  Forgot to mention it in my previous post.  I don't know why that killed to me, but it did.  But there's McKinnon, then Bryant-Strong, then Nwodim-Gardner, then a long ways to Villasenor-Fineman.  Not a great sign for Fineman, that the season just wrapped and they still don't have a head shot of her on the NBC website.  Curious to see what cast changes are made this off-season as people will be craving political humor next year and familiar faces, but also live TV is going to have to reinsert itself in a clever way back into society. 

8 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

That SNL still exist is pretty amazing. The comedic value is consistently not much higher than zero. One forgettable no talent cast after another has really taken a toll over the years.

I know this is just something that people say, and have said for 40 years, but the cast prior to this one had Bill Hader, Fred Armisen, Andy Samberg, Will Forte, Kristen Wiig, and Jason Sudekis. The one before that had Will Ferrell, Tina Fey,  Seth Meyers, Jimmy Fallon, Amy Poehler. And of course every cast has Kenan Thompson. 

Guest Lobo

The casts of the last 20 years haven't been the problem.  The problem is the writing and host selection have been horrific, at best.  Yeah our last several presidents have been laughable, and sure it's tough to create and cultivate really funny recurring characters and sketch premises.  But after solid political satire, you have to think of something else besides cast members chewing food and spitting it into the mouths of hosts.  That's literally been done a dozen times. 

Edited by Lobo

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 10:28 AM, Red Five said:

I know this is just something that people say, and have said for 40 years, but the cast prior to this one had Bill Hader, Fred Armisen, Andy Samberg, Will Forte, Kristen Wiig, and Jason Sudekis. The one before that had Will Ferrell, Tina Fey,  Seth Meyers, Jimmy Fallon, Amy Poehler. And of course every cast has Kenan Thompson. 

Unpopular opinion, but the cast is always great.  SNL is like the movie or music industry or anything else.  Everyone always thinks the old stuff was better, but they only ever remember the highlights viewed through a nostalgic lens.  

My only complaint about the casting is how little Melissa Villasenor is used overall. 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2