Joseph Ossai

LTtxfan

High motor player without running his mouth made him very easy to root for in high school.

Love seeing him continue to develop as a college player...

Not a surprise at all on the academic front, either.

Edited by Iceman

Look for John Sharp to announce a new $500M computer science center within a month. 
Lulz.

Csb. Back when I was working for the state as a computer operator the feds wanted some data to analyze from our medicaid utilization files. These files were 40 to 60 tape reels long. And the feds wanted data from years of these files. Boxes and boxes and boxes of tape reels. We didn't have any excess capacity on our two IBM 370/158 mainframes to extract the data that the feds wanted as we were running both 158's at 110% of capacity. UT had CDC computers so we couldn't use them. None of the other state agencies had excess capacity either. aggy was an IBM shop and had excess capacity so we contracted with them to extract the data. We sent the programmer that wrote the extract program and jcl over to aggy with the tapes to oversee the extracts. This went on for several months. During this time aggy was in the process of upgrading their mainframe. aggy chose Amdahl mainframes to replace their IBM mainframes. Amdahl was an IBM 370 clone that was faster and cheaper than IBM's 370s.

So while our programmer (a Horn) was in aggy's computer center Amdahl rolls up with a truckload of new mainframes, unload them and the Amdahl SE's start installing them. SE's get em installed and hooked up and start putting the panels on the cabinets that housed the mainframe hardware.

Here are some pics of Amdahl mainframes of that era.

ae155ad231651a789b100493a0168c26.jpgfb692f6bec147f479924b411d8cbb401.jpg736eeb197b549695bab1b99dd71f5489.jpg

When aggy saw the panels they went ballistic and demanded that Amdahl replace the hideously offensive panels with ones of another color. Amdahl told aggy that that was the color they came in that there wasn't any other color.

aggy then told Amdahl that either they replace the panels or haul their goddamn t.u. colored computers the hell out of there.

Amdahl got some maroon spray paint from Gibsons and covered up the t.u. orange.

Our programmer saw and heard it all and reported it back to us and we all had a good laugh.

http://archive.michigan-terminal-system.org/discussions/published-information/x1c28amdahlupdatenewsletter1985
@aggypedia you may use this story if you wish.

• 3 months later...

Just an absolute predator tonight. Incredible performance. With the possible exception of Poona, last time I’ve seen one guy on defense simply take over a game like this was Malcolm Brown.

Great effort by all. Roach was a beast tonight too.

2 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Best Oak Ridge War Eagle ever.  

Let’s see how Tyler Johnson turns out.

Keondre Coburn was also a Freshman at Oak Ridge, wrecking shop along with Ossai; before transferring to Westfield.

Loved watching them in high school.  It is awesome seeing Ossai’s star on the rise.  Great kid from a great family.

"Beast Mode" is a term used far to liberally, but if it was ever appropriate, Ossai earned it last night.  Had a really strong game against UGA last year too.  Coburn was a stud too.  Graham played great too.

New defensive coaches need to find a way to make getting these guys in the backfield a priority.  Ossai was just unblockable.     

He was reportedly really bummed when Todd Orlando was fired, and even considered transferring. The Alamo Bowl was huge for him and his confidence and Herman basically said he's going to be a captain next year in his presser so I think he's for sure going to stay now. I hope Chris Ash puts him in position to make plays because Ossai has more upside than any defensive player we have right now imo.

Edited by perfectchaos007

On 9/14/2019 at 2:09 PM, LTtxfan said:

Deserves his own thread...

Longhorn Profiles: Joseph Ossai

09.13.2019 | Football

Longhorn Profiles: Joseph Ossai

A look at how Ossai, a native Nigerian, made his way to the Forty Acres.

When selecting a college to attend following high school, student-athletes often have several boxes they like to check off to determine where the best fit may be.

For Longhorns sophomore linebacker Joseph Ossai, the computer science program at The University of Texas was an easy box to check as he approached graduation at Conroe Oak Ridge High School.

"I took a computer science precursor class my junior year of high school and just stumbled upon it as a STEM requirement. The concept of computer programming, the whole idea of how you can create something, was just awesome," Ossai said. "The computer science program at UT was ranked in the top 10, and I looked at everything when I was deciding which school I wanted to go to, and that definitely played a role."

A two-time academic all-district honoree for the War Eagles, Ossai sought out colleges where he could be challenged both academically and athletically. An opportunity to participate in a computer science program currently ranked 10th in the nation by U.S. News and World Report while playing football for the Longhorns met that criteria.

"There are a lot of tough, challenging courses; I love being in those classes," Ossai said. "It's definitely teaching me how to manage my time. I need to focus a lot of time on those classes, as well as on football, so it's teaching me how to prioritize my time for both."

Ossai celebrates a defensive stop against No. 6 LSU on Sept. 7.

Ossai understands what it takes to overcome challenges. A native of Nigeria, Ossai arrived in the United States when he was 10 years old after his mother, Emmanuela, applied for and was selected in the Diversity Immigrant Visa lottery program. The family moved to Houston in December 2008, where a distant cousin of Ossai's father, Vitus, lived.

The transition was hectic and the culture shock intense, but among the more challenging aspects of the move was learning a new language. With a thick accent and distinct dialect, Ossai had difficulty communicating with his classmates.

"With kids, if there's something they don't understand, they question and sometimes bully, so I got bullied a lot," Ossai said. "I had to go through that, but I overcame it and I would say I really started to overcome it and find my voice when started playing football in the seventh grade."

Ossai grew up playing soccer in Nigeria. His daily after school routine was dropping off his bag and heading outside to the field where entire neighborhood would play. He quickly fell in love with football in the United States, which he thought looked a lot like rugby. He would watch games with his uncle, who would teach and explain to Ossai the basic rules of the game.

"It was all new to me and I learned the rules of football as I played," Ossai said. "Over the years of playing, whenever someone would do something and the ref would throw a flag and I'd say, 'You can't do that? I didn't know you couldn't do that," and that's how I've learned."

In spite of the steep learning curve, Ossai quickly flourished as a youngster, largely due to his strong work ethic.

That drive and determination is paying dividends for Ossai at Texas where as a Longhorn starter he has eight tackles (seven solo), a sack, two tackles for loss and two interceptions through two games this season. He entered 2019 fresh off a big finish to his true freshman campaign, starting and posting a team-high eight tackles in the Longhorns thrilling 28-21 victory over No. 6 Georgia in the Allstate Sugar Bowl. He had 20 tackles (13 solo), a sack and a forced fumble in 2018.

Ossai returns an interception against No. 6 LSU on Sept. 7.

Senior defensive lineman Malcolm Roach is among the Longhorns who have taken notice of Ossai's dedication and willingness to not only prepare physically, but mentally as well.

"There were a lot of things he had to learn when he first came on campus, but the way he goes about doing things, he's getting better each day," Roach said. "Watching film with him, he asks questions and I talk about how I see the game and discuss tips he could use for formations. He's one of the hardest workers on the team and he's getting better and better every game."

This work ethic is evident both on the field and in the classroom, as Ossai was named to the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll this past spring. He plans on utilizing the skills he learns at Texas to work in app design.

"I'm looking to major in Arts and Entertainment Technology with a minor in Computer Science," Ossai said. "AET comes into play with app design and maybe some video game designing. There are a lot of options and I'm really enjoying it. With a background in computer science and programming, I can really take it wherever I want."

https://texassports.com/news/2019/9/13/football-longhorn-profiles-joseph-ossai.aspx

UT CS, holla! 

from badassery import joseph_ossai

• Like 1

• 5 months later...