This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

I couldn’t bring myself to watch yesterday’s episode.  After the dimming of the studio lights I turned it off and decided I’d check back in sometime between now and Christmas.  

On The Dan Patrick show yesterday Dan was reminiscing how he used to do the sports-version Jeopardy back in the early 2000s.  I know Jennings is the supposed front-runner and he may zero interest in doing the show with his already busy schedule, but I think DP would be great at it.  

Edited by Chet Steadman

^

You know, I have no opinion on the matter...just want the show to live on because I've been a cult-watcher and sometimes-semifinals qualifier for decades...but I could see Dan Patrick hosting it really well for some reason.  I'd be totally in support of that, nothing against Ken Jennings but I'm playing back Dan Patrick in my head and I could see that really nicely.  Anyway, RIP Alex.  No matter what they do with the show, please tell me they bring on Will Ferrell to host as himself for at least one show, if not a whole week.  Alex would have loved it, Will would play it straight but still be Will.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm loved Art Fleming back in the day. He was lighter and more fun. I resented Trebek for no logical reason until a friend from back when I worked in TV said she' worked with Trebek and he was a humble, very nice man. I hope Alex and Art are sharing Jeopardy stories up in the Great Game Show in the Sky.

Tell me, Art, you ever get the thing about answers being questions?

I'll tell you, Alex, it was black and white TV. Had to have a gimmick. By the way, nice job on the wife.

You're kind to say so. I was very lucky. 

Yeah, I could see him.  And now that you mentioned him...what about Ben Bailey?  Although his physical stature alone would necessitate the altering of the entire studio.  

Not a Jennings fan.  Loved James, but don't think he's right for it.  I'll tune in whoever it is.  
A little late but a teary eyed RIP Alex.

Team jeopardy James here too, but yea he’s not fit to host jeopardy at all. Lol

Ken would be interesting. I heard in the radio this morning George Steponomploldihsolis wants to throw his name into the ring.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ken would be interesting. I heard in the radio this morning George Steponomploldihsolis wants to throw his name into the ring.

I think Ken Jennings will probably get the job and he'll do fine.  I don't know if I'd ever watch another episode if George Stephanopoulos was host.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

I couldn’t bring myself to watch yesterday’s episode.  After the dimming of the studio lights I turned it off and decided I’d check back in sometime between now and Christmas.  

On The Dan Patrick show yesterday Dan was reminiscing how he used to do the sports-version Jeopardy back in the early 2000s.  I know Jennings is the supposed front-runner and he may zero interest in doing the show with his already busy schedule, but I think DP would be great at it.  

Just the opposite.  I will watch every episode until his last.

4 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Yes, Patrick would be great at it. 

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I like George “schmoopy” S. a lot.  He’s a close friend of a close friend of mine.  And I do not like this cliche, but he is very “low energy”.  Alex was calm, cool, and collected, but just exuded anticipation.  George has the vibe of the sober guy that introduces speakers at a poetry slam.  

stewing on it after the drive to lunch, I really like the Dan Patrick idea.  Anyone know if that has any legs with the production company?  

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I really hope they don't go with a "big personality" replacement.  Too many of the new gameshows are focused on the host.  Alex Trebek focused on the game and the contestants.

I can't see a way that most aren't disappointed.  

I'm willing to give everyone a chance, but think there's more emotional attachment to this one due to the reason for replacement.

Still sad about this one. I'll likely shed a tear in the last episode and suspect I won't be the only one.  All for a game show.  

Thinking about it,  I'll probably be emotional for the first one with Ken Jennings.  The producers have knocked this out of the park the way they've handled it so far .

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not only is there an apparent sale on bow ties as Alex remarked before yesterday's show, but the two nattily dressed (presumably) gay contestants this week both had the same "one oval lense and one rectangular lense" glasses frames. 

Relatedly, I've also noticed an uptick in the number of contestants who insist on putting an exclamation point after their names recently. 

On 11/10/2020 at 10:26 AM, Lobo said:

And now that you mentioned him...what about Ben Bailey? 

The cash cab guy?

Saw him at Comedy Cellar in NY a decade ago.   He spent his entire set complaining about a table of women who were talking.   He managed to turn the entire room against him (most everyone in the room couldn’t hear the women... just him pouting like a toddler for 20 minutes).   He was obnoxious.  

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, gonna set the DVR now. 

unrelated---read that Ken Jennings is in some heat with the PC crowd for some lame wheelchair joke he tweeted several years ago.  On any given day, you can rule out a half dozen Surly posters who make a joke about Gov. Abbott as not being host material.  I need to register for the 2021 test as well.  

17 hours ago, WBT said:

I'm going to spoiler this for anyone that hasn't watched today's yet

Reveal hidden contents

I'm glad that Brayden lost today.  I didn't really want his mumbling and punchable face distracting me during Alex's last show.

Thanks for the info - I missed yesterday's because the Chicago affiliate preempted Jeopardy! in favor of covering the lack of criminal charges in the Kenosha police shooting.