This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

I think Jennings has been doing a good job.  The anecdotes about Trebek at the beginning of the show seem appropriate , at least for a little while.  The "thanks, Alex" sign-off was fine the first time, but I hope its not an every time thing. 

Looks like they have a line-up of host coming:

Producers of the long-running game show announced Wednesday that Katie Couric, Aaron Rodgers, Bill Whitaker and Mayim Bialik will serve as guest hosts this season, replacing Alex Trebek.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chet Steadman said:

Next up: Katie Couric, Aaron Rodgers, Mayim Bialik (had no idea she was Blossom until I looked it up right now,) and Bill Whitaker.

Whitaker should be a great one.

Still hoping for a Dan Patrick and Mike Rowe appearance at some point.

Beat me to it.

I'm concerned about using hosts with big personalities.  Patrick and Rowe can be that, but also can reel it back when necessary.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeopardy! champion Brayden Smith has died. The Las Vegas native was 24.

According to Smith's obituary, the game show contestant, who graduated from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas with a degree in economics in 2020, passed away on Feb. 5. No cause of death has been shared at this time.

Smith's mother, Debbie Smith, confirmed the news in a Feb. 12 post on Twitter, writing, "We are heartbroken to share that our dear Brayden Smith recently passed away unexpectedly. We are so grateful that Brayden was able to live out his dream on @jeopardy."

Smith's obituary details his passion for Jeopardy!, where he was hailed as the late host Alex Trebek's "Last Great Champion." Smith was one of the final contestants to appear on Jeopardy! prior to Trebek's death from pancreatic cancer in November of last year.

"The best part of it for me was spending time with him," Smith said during a Jeopardy! interview in January. "To finally be on stage with somebody that I've seen five nights a week every week for over a decade was really a dream come true."

Smith won $115,798 during his five-game winning streak. He was planning to compete on the show's Tournament of Champions. 

In a statement, Jeopardy! told E! News, "The Jeopardy! family is heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brayden Smith. He was kind, funny and absolutely brilliant. Our deepest condolences go out to Brayden's family. He will be missed."

spacer.png

13 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Sidetrack for a minute, any of you watch Celebrity Wheel of Fortune tonight? Nothing important, but I’ll spoiler it anyway.  

Hide contents

Black dude was a goddamn idiot, Jennie Garth is still looking good when all made up. 

Haha, saw that...couldn't solve  DIS__SSING IT WITH MY IMAGINARY FRIEND.  I want to say he guessed a P at that point.

• Like 1

I guess I can agree that the new guy is "smoother" than Ken, but at the same time, he felt almost generic, and unaffiliated with the show, even though that is obviously not the case. Like they had brought in a generic Ryan Seacrest type or something. 

Regardless of who the next permanent host is, I think it's a very shrewd move to have a bunch of different guest hosts as a sort of buffer between the Alex-era and whatever comes next. It's always impossible to follow a legend (has it *ever* worked in the coaching world?) and this approach will help cut back on impossible and unfair comparisons for whoever it eventually is. 

• Like 1

New guy has done it a little before. 

These days, Richards is known more for his work behind the scenes, but he has hosted on numerous TV shows, including the WB reality shows High School Reunion and Beauty and the Geek, the Reelz movie news program Dailies, and the GSN game shows The Pyramid and Divided.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Filmed 5 episodes a day, twice a week. Not a bad schedule, but long days. 

Fun game today.  Spoilered for later viewers.

Spoiler

The returning champ got the last clue right to tie one of the challengers heading into FJ, setting up a potential tie-breaker.  Both coleaders rightfully bet everything but it was a triple stumper so the chick in 3rd place who bet zero won with a total of $2000.  This was a true spoiler situation that Alex would have loved.  And she can always say she's a jeopardy champ!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I hope to never see Dr. Oz again - his voice and mannerisms are a beating.

Agreed, he's at the bottom of the guest host power rankings so far.  I'd go:

Ken

Producer Mike

Katie Couric

Dr. Oz

Too early to say about Rodgers but I think he'll slot in ahead of Couric.  He was a little stiff but I think that's to be expected for his first show.  

Yeah, AR seemed like he popped a couple Valium beforehand, but that may just be his normal state (ice water in the veins) that helps in stressful situations. He’s such an iconoclast (wait, that word has been fucked on this site), he’s such an individualist/free spirit, I could almost see him walking away from football to take the gig, which would be Jim Brown/Barry Sanders level absurdity. Dude was just MVP.

I never saw a moment of Oz, nor the producer (who’s a professional announcer), but saw a smidgen of Couric and Jennings. I always thought it would be Jennings’ gig, but the Mike dude has probably been placed in the wings for a reason. 

5 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yeah, AR seemed like he popped a couple Valium beforehand, but that may just be his normal state (ice water in the veins) that helps in stressful situations. He’s such an iconoclast (wait, that word has been fucked on this site), he’s such an individualist/free spirit, I could almost see him walking away from football to take the gig, which would be Jim Brown/Barry Sanders level absurdity. Dude was just MVP.

I never saw a moment of Oz, nor the producer (who’s a professional announcer), but saw a smidgen of Couric and Jennings. I always thought it would be Jennings’ gig, but the Mike dude has probably been placed in the wings for a reason. 

Mike just filled in for 2 weeks because Jennings had filming obligations for the American version of The Chase which was filming at that time. Or at least that’s what Mike said.

Each host arrives at the show with their own idiosyncrasies. “Aaron Rodgers came in so prepared it was unbelievable,” Richards says. “He approached this like he was breaking down game footage. He watched a ton of episodes and he came in with questions like, ‘Now if this happens, how do I deal with it?’ And I was like, ‘Well, that doesn’t really happen.’ And he said, ‘I saw one! I want to know because I want to be prepared.’ He came in prepared like an MVP quarterback would for a huge game.”

Indeed, Rodgers prepared with film study—and lots of it. He pulled up episode after episode of Jeopardy!, watching each on mute as he stood in as host in front of his TV. “You’ve got to learn the form,” Rodgers says. “It’s looking down to read the clue and then looking up to call on a contestant, and also understanding what the answer is in case none of the contestants get it right, and then realizing at that point that you’ve got to work on your posture and where you’re looking and know who you’re talking to when you give that response.”

The quarterback was, it seems, a hit, even with the staff. Jimmy McGuire of the Clue Crew weighed in, says Lindsay Wilcox, one of the contestants who played with Rodgers. “He said Aaron Rodgers was the best guest host they had seen so far.”

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/4/12/22376095/jeopardy-guest-host-rotation-ken-jennings-dr-oz-aaron-rodgers

On 3/8/2021 at 4:58 PM, WBT said:

Katie Couric as the new guest host today.  She was fine.

I am way behind and in the middle of her run. She is terrible. She seems so detached and it comes off bad, uninterested and aloof. I am just running her episodes out so I can move on. Of the guest hosts I would put her behind:

1 Mike, he was solid and you could tell that as exec producer he really cares about the show.

2 Ken, he’s ok. I am not a fan of his voice. But he’s fine.

BTW they just dropped the last batch of guest hosts. You asked, they listened

17 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I am way behind and in the middle of her run. She is terrible. She seems so detached and it comes off bad, uninterested and aloof. I am just running her episodes out so I can move on. Of the guest hosts I would put her behind:

1 Mike, he was solid and you could tell that as exec producer he really cares about the show.

2 Ken, he’s ok. I am not a fan of his voice. But he’s fine.

BTW they just dropped the last batch of guest hosts. You asked, they listened

Wait until you get to Dr. Oz!

Anderson Cooper is smooth and polished but he doesn't show much humor or personality.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:25 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

AC sucks. Too soft spoken. I still like KJ and the producer best.

I don't think AC sucks at all (at least not as Jeopardy! host).  I liked Aaron Rodgers sense of humor, but his cadence felt like he was reading and responding in slow motion.  I thought Couric was terrible until Dr. Oz showed up.  I still prefer KJ and Mike the producer.

YIKES. The outgoing champion has become associated with something unsavory.

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news/jeopardy-contestants-hand-gesture-has-watchers-up-in-arms/

It popped up on my radar because I follow a lot of Jeopardy! champs on twitter and this came through Alex Jacob's feed:

His nebulous response is unconvincing to me. As it was to Jacobs.

Edited by Captain Ron

One last comment on Katie Couric as I am wrapping up her shows.

On 4/21/2021 at 5:27 PM, Captain Ron said:

I am way behind and in the middle of her run. She is terrible. She seems so detached and it comes off bad, uninterested and aloof. I am just running her episodes out so I can move on.

I finally put my finger on the issue I have with her. I feel like she is just reciting answers out there and not facilitating the show. When you watched Ken and especially Mike, you could tell they were doing what they could to make Jeopardy! be Jeopardy! I don't get that feeling from Katie, I feel like she is just reading the script and doing the job, nothing more. It doesn't feel like she is owning it.