This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

On 4/28/2021 at 12:17 PM, Captain Ron said:

One last comment on Katie Couric as I am wrapping up her shows.

I finally put my finger on the issue I have with her. I feel like she is just reciting answers out there and not facilitating the show. When you watched Ken and especially Mike, you could tell they were doing what they could to make Jeopardy! be Jeopardy! I don't get that feeling from Katie, I feel like she is just reading the script and doing the job, nothing more. It doesn't feel like she is owning it.

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

I understand why he won’t get the gig, but I thought Bill Whitaker did a great job. 

I think that Captain Ron's assessment of Katie Couric also applies to Bill Whitaker. Both were perfectly serviceable for the current purpose, but neither of them seem like promising candidates (not that I believe they actually were, of course). 

~~~~~

Yesterday's game might have hit some weird data point involving largest margin of victory vs. lowest winning score. That was a bloodbath though - as soon as the middle contestant (three disparate "jobs", funny clothes, etc.) appeared during the introductions, I remarked to Mrs. Doom that I fully expected an extreme score from her one way or the other. 

On 4/28/2021 at 12:10 PM, Captain Ron said:

YIKES. The outgoing champion has become associated with something unsavory.

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news/jeopardy-contestants-hand-gesture-has-watchers-up-in-arms/

It popped up on my radar because I follow a lot of Jeopardy! champs on twitter and this came through Alex Jacob's feed:

His nebulous response is unconvincing to me. As it was to Jacobs.

Here he is clearly mocking the black power gesture.

spacer.png

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2021 at 10:47 AM, WBT said:
On 4/21/2021 at 5:27 PM, Captain Ron said:

I am way behind and in the middle of [Katie Couric's] run. She is terrible. She seems so detached and it comes off bad, uninterested and aloof. I am just running her episodes out so I can move on. Of the guest hosts I would put her behind:

1 Mike, he was solid and you could tell that as exec producer he really cares about the show.

2 Ken, he’s ok. I am not a fan of his voice. But he’s fine.

Wait until you get to Dr. Oz!

Anderson Cooper is smooth and polished but he doesn't show much humor or personality.

I will say this, I can't stand Dr. Oz's voice, give the man a decongestant.

Though early on he seemed much more engaged that Couric. However as his run continued later in week one and most of week two, he started to really lose energy and become dry like her. I thought his last episode he was better. As a whole better than Couric, but below everyone else.

Not knowing much about him, I don't understand the hate, but I sensed his presence wasn't well received as a whole. I probably would not disagree if I knew more.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Felix said:

Yeah that was pretty bad.  He was jerky enough when he was dominating his first match, but I couldn't believe the way he acted in the semi.

Yeah.  He said something like "going for the kill shot" leading up to one of his daily double wagers.  He might not be on the spectrum, but he's on some spectrum.

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2021 at 8:42 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

I was impressed with Mayim Bialik today. 

She's ok.  The fake almost-laugh after clues for no reason is getting old.

The new champ today is cute although a bit overwrought.

I think I still like Ken the best. Like Prepuce, didn’t have a problem with Buzzy’s stint. I also think Bialik is doing a good job.

Don’t get the love for Rodgers. Seemed like he mumbled through and had little energy. There was the one great exchange with the contestant about the field goal. The rest of his term as guest host was otherwise pretty forgettable.

8 hours ago, WBT said:

She's ok.  The fake almost-laugh after clues for no reason is getting old.

The new champ today is cute although a bit overwrought.

I hated all three contestants today. Dude was wooden and aloof, middle girl was just too much trust fund vocal fry, and the winner seemed to want to make everything into a sitcom laugh. 

And while I can't point to any single thing, the novelty of Bialik is wearing off for me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/3/2021 at 8:20 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

And while I can't point to any single thing, the novelty of Bialik is wearing off for me. 

A week later, and I can offer a list of things that eventually annoyed me about Mayim's hosting.

Chief among them was her inappropriate (nervous?) laughter after way too many answers, but also too much editorializing/kibbitzing about her own life ("I once got off at that Tube stop!" - cool story, bro...) that not only wastes game time, but I think it also fosters an excessively familiar atmosphere that encourages time-wasting pontificating by the contestants. And many of her "additional tidbits" of trivia after an answer were either too removed from the subject matter at hand, or they were some mixture of dumb, commonly known, and needless. 

I went from being pleased and impressed after her first show to annoyed and short-tempered with her by her last show. Pretty remarkable, really. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Boy, is this new guest host ever anodyne. 

I remarked afterwards that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that I have never seen her before, or to learn that I've seen her hundreds of times. 

She would make a great spy though - absolutely nothing remarkable or distinctive about her. 

She sure does say "you got it!" quite a bit though. 

• 2 weeks later...

The current champion's "What's _____?" approach to every response is unreasonably irritating to me. 

Especially when it should be "Who is _____?" or "Where is _____?" 

It's probably too late to do anything about it, but I feel like if the judges are going to allow this, they might as well just do away with the whole "questions and answers" thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The current champion's "What's _____?" approach to every response is unreasonably irritating to me. 
It's probably too late to do anything about it, but I feel like if the judges are going to allow this, they might as well just do away with the whole "questions and answers" thing. 
It is pretty smart if you ask me. No reason to waste brainpower trying to come up with the correct question. I'd be okay with them dropping the question thing altogether.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:
On 7/23/2021 at 6:35 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

It is pretty smart if you ask me. No reason to waste brainpower trying to come up with the correct question. I'd be okay with them dropping the question thing altogether.

Yeah, I guess, but it's also kind of bullshit that he doesn't even bother to say "who" when it's a person. 

Fuck that guy in the goatass if you ask me. 

According to the nerds at Jboard, LeVar's wife gave him a pep talk after the first taping and encouraged him to "be himself instead of whoever that was" and he's supposedly much better for the rest of his tenure. I thought he was significantly better today, though still not in line with my level of expectations given that a sizeable contingent has been advocating for him to assume the mantle for years.