This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

Eh, you’ve probably already seen the news alerts, but the final chapter on this dumbass has been written. I joke with my buddies at work to not “fly too close to the sun...” We are at a massive org and whenever someone reaches for the stars, they tend to eventually get chopped at the knees. I’ll just stay in my sweet spot, and keep my head low. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/31/business/media/jeopardy-mike-richards.html

Spoiler

Sony said on Tuesday that Mike Richards would immediately exit his job as the executive producer of “Jeopardy!,” completing a stunning downfall for a game-show impresario who just three weeks ago had secured one of the most coveted jobs in television as the replacement for the longtime host Alex Trebek.

“We had hoped that when Mike stepped down from the host position at ‘Jeopardy!’ it would have minimized the disruption and internal difficulties we have all experienced these last few weeks,” a Sony executive, Suzanne Prete, wrote in a memo to staff on Tuesday. “That clearly has not happened.”

Mr. Richards is also set to leave his role as executive producer of “Wheel of Fortune.”

Sony had named Mr. Richards as the permanent host of “Jeopardy!” on Aug. 11, calling him a “unique talent.” But Mr. Richards quit the hosting job on Aug. 20, days after a report by The Ringer revealed offensive and sexist comments he had made on a podcast several years ago, the latest in a series of scandals that tarred his brief tenure. Executives at Sony had initially signaled support for Mr. Richards to stay on in the production role.

The competition to replace Mr. Trebek, who died in 2020 after serving as the show’s host for 37 years, captivated “Jeopardy!” fans and featured a parade of potential successors including the former contestant Ken Jennings and the actor LeVar Burton.

But it was Mr. Richards who won out, despite having virtually no name recognition among viewers and the fact that, as the show’s executive producer, he had overseen elements of the replacement process. Old lawsuits also resurfacedfrom Mr. Richards’s last job running “The Price Is Right” that included accusations of sexist behavior.

Mr. Richards taped one week’s worth of “Jeopardy!” episodes in a single day of filming before Sony announced that he had ceded the hosting job. (Those episodes will still air the week of Sept. 13.) The former sitcom star Mayim Bialik is expected to remain as the host of “Jeopardy!” prime-time specials, but Sony has said it would resume the search for a replacement for Mr. Trebek’s weeknight slot. Ms. Bialik will be the first guest host of the regular program in place of Mr. Richards

Initially, Sony had said Mr. Richards would remain as executive producer even after he had stepped down as host, but his continued presence at the show became untenable. Crew members confronted Mr. Richards in an emotional meeting on Aug. 19 where they expressed dismay at his past behavior and said it had imperiled the show’s reputation.

“Jeopardy!” first aired in 1964 and became a beloved TV institution that still draws millions of weekly viewers. The furor surrounding Mr. Richards pierced the show’s above-the-fray reputation, long cultivated by the understated Mr. Trebek, and subjected it to intense debates about diversity, privilege and behavior in the modern workplace. 

Sony’s leadership was also facing scrutiny for the mess. “Jeopardy!” had been a reliable jewel in the studio’s television portfolio, quietly earning tens of millions of dollars in annual revenue. But its messy succession drama roiled fans and raised questions about why Sony had not discovered Mr. Richards’s past offensive behavior before naming him as the new host.

The report in The Ringer revealed offensive comments Mr. Richards made on a podcast, including a 2013 episode where Mr. Richards called his female co-host a “booth slut” because she once worked as a model at a consumer show in Las Vegas. He described women who wear one-piece swimsuits as looking “really frumpy and overweight” and referred to stereotypes about Jews and large noses, prompting outrage from the Anti-Defamation League.

Some “Jeopardy!” fans had said they were confused as to why Mr. Richards was being allowed to stay on as executive producer. “It feels like he doesn’t quite realize the gravity of his mistake and thinks that if he just stays behind the scenes, then everything will blow over,” Andy Saunders, who runs the website The Jeopardy! Fan, said in an interview.

Mr. Richards, in a memo to the “Jeopardy!” staff on Aug. 20 announcing he would step down as host, wrote that “it pains me that these past incidents and comments have cast such a shadow on ‘Jeopardy!’ as we look to start a new chapter.”

He closed the memo by writing, “I know I have a lot of work to do to regain your trust and confidence.”

He will no longer have the chance.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ken and Mayim will split this season, though according to the article, Ken isn't under consideration for the full-time position due to his problematic tweets. 

https://www.tmz.com/2021/09/16/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-ken-jennings-hosts-rest-of-season/

***still pretty fucking tired of Matt and his bullshit. 

Somehow I've enjoyed this week just fine despite Richards being the host.  Matt really should be the focus right now, he's really getting up there in number of wins and $$.

Spoilers on today's game

Spoiler

I couldn't believe he bet it all again on the first DD in DJ.  He was already back in the lead by then and it just didn't seem worth the risk to me.

6 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

WTF?  How can you be too toxic to host the show, but not too toxic to host the show?

6 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

You're aware of how badly Sony has fucked up this entire (and totally foreseeable) process, right? 

This. What moronic is that they could have Ken issue an apology and name him the host.

But that fucking this up thing Sony has done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting so goddamn tired of how Matt smiles and laughs and acts like he's acknowledging some inside joke with every correct answer. 

I'm sure he's a nice guy, and I readily acknowledge that I'm overreacting, but between this new affectation and his all-purpose "What's xxxxx?", I really hate this fucking guy. 

Spoiler

I suspect the spoiler tag will tip everyone off, but hey, I’ll play along. 

Matt Immodium was off all game, looked tired and never got any Daily Doubles, plus the woman was quite capable (the best player in this game, but unlucky with DDs) and John C. Reilly, Jr. had the luck finding the bonuses, and his conservative bet didn’t hurt him much when he missed. 

I don’t think the new champ keeps the job very long, but at least he’ll always have today’s game and his place as a Giant Slayer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Spoiler

I'm about a week's worth behind but I couldn't resist clicking on the spoilers and figured there was a reason they were there.  Anyway, so he went about a week beyond Holzhauer right?  And still barely halfway to Jennings - it's really amazing that he won that many in a row.

I finally got caught up to Matt's loss.  That was an entertaining game but Matt was really off.  A couple of his misses were fairly easy I thought.  He still dominated the buzzer but it's hard to win with 5 misses when your opponents combine for only 2:

Matt 23 R, 5 W

Jessica 14 R, 0 W

Jonathan 16 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Edited by WBT

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 5:56 PM, Vito Andolini said:

I don’t think the new champ keeps the job very long, but at least he’ll always have today’s game and his place as a Giant Slayer. 

Up to 10 days now.  I was rooting for Lea on Friday and she was right there until she missed on a big bet on the first DD in DJ.

0jpdfavz53v71.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2021 at 3:07 PM, Jerry Callo said:

That guy knows everything. He has to be the most efficient player ever. Never wastes time with first names, abbreviates every category, and only uses "what's . . .?". He'll get beat someday, but he's a badass.

His answers were always grammatically correct, and he uses the precise pronouns.

On 9/24/2021 at 10:59 PM, Jerry Callo said:

That Matt Amodio is a badass.

I'm about a month behind about about 10 days to go on Matt's run (just started the episode after he crossed $1 Million).

I am still incredulous about him missing the Turing Award question the week before. His miss would be like a Longhorn fan missing a slam dunk question about Texas football on the show (say "Winners of this highest honor in college football include Ricky Williams and Earl Campbell")

On 10/9/2021 at 5:07 PM, Jerry Callo said:

That guy knows everything. He has to be the most efficient player ever. Never wastes time with first names, abbreviates every category, and only uses "what's . . .?". He'll get beat someday, but he's a badass.

So I finally caught up to Amodio's loss (that's how far behind I am). The guy is a great example of how to play the game. it's not that he isn't wasting time, he doesn't risk too much information. If they are looking for John Malkovich and you want to sound cool referencing the movie Being John Malkovich and say "Who is John Horatio Malkovich?" You'll be wrong because that's not his real middle name (Gavin). If you give too much information, you can't go back from it, but if you give too little, they will ask for clarification.

But he certainly is efficient, "What's ..." said almost automatically removes the problem of not phrasing in the form of a question. He even seemed to have a pretty consistent strategy for tackling DD's. Found in the 1st round it was almost always a true daily double, early in the 2nd round was the knockout punch ($6-10K) and the last one was a more modest amount ($2-4K).

• 1 month later...

Any guesses if Amy is trans?  NTTAWWT  When she first came on, I wondered if she was just a somewhat masculine appearing woman.  In one show, she mentioned a former girlfriend.  Then, the other day, she mentioned having an unusual tattoo - of Princess Ozma of Oz, who was a girl changed into and raised as a boy (Tippitarius) and later transformed back into a girl. 

Whatever, she is a really good contestant, and it's fun to watch her dominate.

23 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

Any guesses if Amy is trans?  NTTAWWT  When she first came on, I wondered if she was just a somewhat masculine appearing woman.  In one show, she mentioned a former girlfriend.  Then, the other day, she mentioned having an unusual tattoo - of Princess Ozma of Oz, who was a girl changed into and raised as a boy (Tippitarius) and later transformed back into a girl. 

Whatever, she is a really good contestant, and it's fun to watch her dominate.

She wore a Trans Rights flag lapel pin early in her run. 

I think it's a pretty reasonable conclusion to draw. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...