This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

Weird that it already aired in some markets.

Taxes take almost half. Bummer.

In an interviewer he said he bet enough to hold off third place doubling up and was hoping for the first place lady to miss. It was a calculated move that don’t pan out.

9 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Weird that it already aired in some markets.

Taxes take almost half. Bummer.

In an interviewer he said he bet enough to hold off third place doubling up and was hoping for the first place lady to miss. It was a calculated move that don’t pan out.

His only chance was if 1st place lady missed FJ. He knew she would bet enough to cover his double up. His bet size was in case they both missed and 3rd place got it right and doubled up, he would still win.

• Like 1

There was nothing at all suspicious or questionable about James's game play.  He simply got beat by someone who was as knowledgeable and skilled with the buzzer as he is.  His FJ bet was exactly what it should have been under the circumstances.  Tony just noted why.  The reason you haven't seen him bet like that before is because he hadn't been in that position.  In short, hats off to the new champ. 

The woman who won went all in on her first DD in the DJ round, a move she likely doesn't make if she didn't know about James, so his reputation worked against him there.  She bet more conservatively on the second one, but the most important thing at that point was that she kept James from getting it.

I think James's run will have a lasting effect on Jeopardy moving forward.  As evidenced today, there are players who can match his skills.  What will be interesting is whether anyone will adopt his strategy.  There has never been a player willing to risk so much when victory is assured.  I doubt we will see any of his top 5 win totals surpassed anytime soon, or possibly ever if there isn't an increase in clue values.  I do think we will see a general uptick in average winnings, however, as some players will likely try to mimic him, but only to a certain extent.

Boettcher, 27, works for the University of Chicago. She told the Chicago Tribune that she wrote her master's paper at the University of North Carolina in 2016 "on predicting the difficulty of trivia questions using 'Jeopardy!' clues." She wrote her undergraduate thesis at Princeton on Shakespeare's plays -- which came in handy on the final question.

——

He rarely missed -- including Monday, when he went 25-for-25 on answers -- and routinely wagered large amounts on the 76 Daily Doubles that he found. He finished with 1,186 correct answers and only 36 incorrect. His average margin of victory was $64,903.

Sheesh. 

Edited by spystud13

13 hours ago, idigTexas said:

There was nothing at all suspicious or questionable about James's game play.  He simply got beat by someone who was as knowledgeable and skilled with the buzzer as he is...

All of this. She was up to the task and beat him. 

Two other things - You can also tell that he never got into his rhythm that be normally got into during his streak. It affected his play. 

The other thing many will overlook - the guy that finished 3rd played a big time role too. He was just as good with the buzzer and ate up big chunks of money on the board, having $11K of his own heading into FJ. It made a big difference that James couldn't get that money. 

Having a dream FJ didn't hurt Emma either. 

Two other things - You can also tell that he never got into his rhythm that be normally got into during his streak. It affected his play. 
The other thing many will overlook - the guy that finished 3rd played a big time role too. He was just as good with the buzzer and ate up big chunks of money on the board, having $11K of his own heading into FJ. It made a big difference that James couldn't get that money. 

Agreed. Jay cockblocked james big time. 11k is usually what second place ends up with after FJ vs james...not 3rd place heading after DJ

Agreed. Jay cockblocked james big time. 11k is usually what second place ends up with after FJ vs james...not 3rd place heading after DJ

This past weekend, “Jeopardy!” executive producer Harry Friedman was looking forward to Monday, when millions of viewers would eagerly tune in to see whether phenom James Holzhauer would break champion Ken Jennings’s record winnings. Holzhauer needed only about $59,000, so it seemed like a distinct possibility.

Then, Sunday afternoon, Friedman and his fellow producers received disturbing news. Somehow, someone had “pirated” the feed of the episode. A clip leaked on the Internet that showed Holzhauer losing in dramatic fashion, falling just short of the $2.5 million that Jennings won over 74 games in 2004.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/06/04/jeopardy-producer-appropriate-action-will-be-taken-against-leaker-james-holzhauers-loss/?utm_term=.960f137f9b31

17 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Boettcher, 27, works for the University of Chicago. She told the Chicago Tribune that she wrote her master's paper at the University of North Carolina in 2016 "on predicting the difficulty of trivia questions using 'Jeopardy!' clues." She wrote her undergraduate thesis at Princeton on Shakespeare's plays -- which came in handy on the final question.

She sounds like she would not be a blast at parties. 

This is what I've been wondering about... Incredible that the studio audience kept things quiet, on all fronts, during Holzhauer's streak.  And by just complying with a simple request from the show.  Crazy.

“We simply say, ‘We want you to have a good time, and go home and tell everyone you had a good time, but we ask you not to disclose the outcome of the matches,’ (Executive Producer) Friedman said. “That’s about it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/why-no-one-has-leaked-jeopardy-spoilers-about-james-holzhauers-incredible-winning-streak/2019/05/02/0641d918-6d1e-11e9-a66d-a82d3f3d96d5_story.html?utm_term=.2a42e8f79076

Just looked to see how Emma did the day after, she won with $24,600. 

Also read this... 

“Somewhere in the course of the morning a contestant coordinator pointed out James and said, ‘Here’s our returning champion, he’s won 29 games, and he’s won $2 million, but anyway, here’s more paperwork for you,'” she told Vulture. “There’s a lot of information coming at you quickly, and that was one data point I had to deal with.”

She added: “My first reaction was that I honestly didn’t think it was a real number. I thought they were playing a joke on us.”

Despite the surreality of the situation — competing on a beloved game show against a remarkable champion — Boettcher stuck to her strategy, she told Vulture. “I pretty much did what I planned to do when I came in, to be honest, which was to jump around the board a little bit so the higher-value clues were taken care of first … I knew jumping around the board was a tried and true success on the show.”

• 1 month later...

And they are bringing Emma back. She's the only 3 time contestant for the next TOC. They announced the lineups yesterday. Next TOC will air in November.

The internet got their panties in a bind because they wanted some Mythical James v Ken matchup. But clearly they don't understand how the TOC lineups are decided.

(plus they also don't know that Ken isn't the guy they want to see play James)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bad news about Alex but not unexpected.

On 9/14/2019 at 8:18 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

I have no idea how this current guy is over the $300k mark. I feel like he's a pretty good player, but that he's been gifted with the worst string of challengers possible or something.

Am I the only one that feels that way? 

Spoiler

Today was the only the 2nd game I've seen this season but he got lucky on a triple stumper.  2nd place guy made an idiotic bet or he would have been done.

Edited by WBT