This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 1:18 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

I just can't believe the run that this guy is on. He's good but not great - at least in my view. 

Am I the only one who thinks that? 

I just caught up with Jason's run (and eventual end) - he's as good as James in terms of knowledge. But he doesn't make the giant wagers of James.

Let's be fair Holtzhaur changed the way the game is played. He didn't have the loss aversion that most people have. It's a smart way to play, but has risks.

• 4 weeks later...

Today is the big day everyone has been waiting for. But let's start some talk about the games thus far:

Day 1 - Kyle Jones, Anneke Garcia, Gilbert Collins (picture order)

image.png

First off I noticed EVERYONE has adopted Holzhauer's style of play. Clearly they had to due to the possibility of drawing him at all. It was the right move.

As far as the game, Kyle started slow and the Jeopardy! round didn't go great for him, ending the round in 3rd place.

Kyle: 1200
Anneke: 3400
Gilbert: 7400

But the Double Jeopardy! round was tilted in his and Anneke's favor, he moved up close, Anneke took the lead and Gilbert got a little money

Kyle: 8400
Anneke: 11400
Gilbert: 9000

Kyle and Gilbert both got FJ! while Anneke missed. Gilbert moved on to the Semi's while Kyle is well positioned for a wild card.

According to Herodotus, a messenger was sent 150 miles from Athens to Sparta, just before this 490 B.C. battle

Spoiler

Marathon

Kyle: 16800
Anneke: 4799
Gilbert: 16801

I haven't watched game 2 yet, will recap soon.

Day 2 - Rob Worman, Dhruv Gaur, Rachel Lindgren

763-E42-CF-B768-4-F90-8724-1-A8569-DFED1-A.jpg

Dhruv was the college champion and he came to play coming out strong and leading heading into Double Jeopardy! Rob struggled but was able to get a respectable $2200 after they credited him with an answer coming out of the break.

Rob: 2200
Dhruv: 6000
Rachel: 3600

In the second round everyone started slow. Rob hit both daily doubles back to back and missed both ending up $2000 in the hole early, he would struggle and barely rally to make Final. Dhruv would hold a steady lead while Rachel got a very solid $10,000 heading into Final.

Rob: 400
Dhruv: 13600
Rachel: 10000

FJ! - In 1840 this New England state was home to 24 of the 100 most populous U.S. urban places; now, its capital is its only one in the top 100

Spoiler

Massachusetts

This was a pretty easy one and everyone got it. With the lead Dhruv made the Semis. Rachel has a good score to make the Semis as well, though I think she should have wagered more on FJ!

Rob: 799
Dhruv: 20001
Rachel: 13601

Day 3- James Holzhauer, Alan Dunn, Lindsey Shultz

F5-A5-E8-B5-D828-4845-9652-E83-A95-BAE28-F.jpg

This was the day everyone was waiting for. I will say it was good to see Holzhauer given a run for his money. Everyone in this round was pretty knowledgeable and good on the buzzer, so he wasn't at the advantage he normally had. The Jeopardy! round was pretty evenly matched with Holzhauer pulling away a little. But Lindsey and Alan was both solid.

James: 8800
Alan: 4000
Lindsey: 4000

Double Jeopardy was James' round however. He got on a late roll and despite Alan getting an early DD, James cleaned up, especially getting the final DD of the day (but with a very modest wager of only $1109. Alan couldn't quite get things right, moving back wards after his early double up. Linsey used some late clues to get a solid $10,800 heading into FJ!

James: 30309
Alan: 6000
Lindsey: 10800

Final: In 1939, turned down by 2 local theaters, Howard University was able to get an outdoor venue for this singer’s yearly concert

Spoiler

Marian Anderson

Tough Final, both Lindsey and James got it. James moved on in a runaway.

James: 30635
Alan: 1
Lindsey: 14000

The 4 wild cards are going to be interesting. Current standings:

Kyle: 16800
Lindsey: 14000
Rachel: 13601
Anneke: 4799
Rob: 799
Alan: 1

Rob and Alan are out. Anneke isn't going to make it with that score. Generally $15,000 is a good target for these guys, so I think Lindsey and Rachel made mistakes not wagering more in FJ

Day 3- Josh Hill, Eric R. Backes, Emma Boettcher

BC273-BE0-EA4-A-41-C3-9858-9-E1-BFF16-FE35.jpg

I thought this was the game of the week thus far. Day 1 was close down the stretch, but this one was a little more high level. The first round was strong with everyone coming out really strong. Emma had a slight lead going into the 2nd round.

Josh: 4200
Eric: 3000
Emma: 5000

Emma caught fire in the 2nd round and ran away with the game. But Josh and Eric both had solid totals that put them into position to make the Semis.

Josh: 12200
Eric: 13000
Emma: 23800

Final: A derisive description of the shape of the houses in the 1908 painting “Houses at l’Estaque” gave this art style its name

Spoiler

cubism

Misses by Josh and Eric cost them position for wild-cards. Emma went with a 0 wager to assure herself a spot to move on even if she lost the game.

Josh: 10597
Eric: 8000
Emma: 23800

Friday - Ryan Fenster, Steven Grade, Francois Barcomb

I missed the Friday game because Boston preempts Jeopardy! for a weekly Patriots show. THEY HAD A BYE WEEK!!!! Jeopardy was bumped to another channel and my DVR missed it (stupid).

31473-DBF-0-B14-4-DA5-B55-D-E946-CA84716-B.jpg

Like many of the games, Double Jeopardy! proved to be the time for Francois to shine because he ran away in the 2nd round and set the high score for the quarter finals. Steven also did well with his FJ wager to put himself in a great Wildcard slot.

Ryan: 8000
Steven: 18400
Francois: 34300

Not hard to see who moved on from these games:

• Champs (Day order) - Gilbert Collins, Dhruv Gaur, James Holzhauer, Emma Boettcher and Francois Barcomb
  • Wild cards: Steven Grade (18,400-Friday), Kyle Jones (16,800-Monday), Lindsey Shultz (14,000-Wednesday), Rachel Lindgren: (13,601-Tuesday)

I think Jeopardy is looking to keep the match-ups secret, but they leaked earlier this morning on reddit (before being taken down):

• Monday: Emma-Dhruv-Kyle
  • Tuesday: James-Steven-Rachel
  • Wednesday: Francois-Gilbert-Lindsey

We won't get the match-up everyone wants until the final.

I will say this, Holtzhaur has to be considered the favorite, but let's not forget that favorites don't win these all the time. These aren't garbage players and all of these guys look like they can win this thing.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

She's really good.  How did she only win 3 games?  I watched her beat James but I don't think I saw her loss.

I had to look it up. She ran into an even more perfect storm than James.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6311

When James lost Emma hung with him and the 3rd player was also very good, but kind of well back ($26,600 - $23,400 - $11,000).

When Emma lost 3 days later she ran into a double buzzsaw. Entering FJ the scores for that round were: $19,200, $19,000 (Emma) and $16,400. Not that it would matter, but she missed FJ! too.

31 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Looks like our guy cruised to victory.

Sure hope this isnt the last time we see jeopardy james on the show. They have to know hes rating$. Theyll figure out something to get him on the air

Well I'm just watching it now and it's close at the first break.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Looks like our guy cruised to victory.

Sure hope this isnt the last time we see jeopardy james on the show. They have to know hes rating$. Theyll figure out something to get him on the air

He'll be back on Thursday and Friday. /pedant

Down the road, they'll get a game between Jennings, Rutter, and Holzhauer for big money and big ratings.

Edited by WBT

Holzhauer was dominant again yesterday. When he gets on a role he’s hard to beat. Though I will note I do think he isn’t as dominant as he was when he was on the show the first go around. Everyone on this setup are just as quick on the trigger like him, unlike before when he had the champion advantage.

I can’t wait for the final. 

On 11/13/2019 at 7:27 AM, Captain Ron said:

Holzhauer was dominant again yesterday. When he gets on a role he’s hard to beat. Though I will note I do think he isn’t as dominant as he was when he was on the show the first go around. Everyone on this setup are just as quick on the trigger like him, unlike before when he had the champion advantage.

I can’t wait for the final. 

When is the final?

The aforementioned Battle of the Titans will air in January during prime time. 

First to win 3 games takes a million. 

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/who-greatest-jeopardy-player-all-time

Fuck yea, go jeopardy James!

You have to think this is Alexs swan song or they wanted to fit this in before it was too late. I hope this is a live primetime event

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Fuck yea, go jeopardy James!

You have to think this is Alexs swan song or they wanted to fit this in before it was too late. I hope this is a live primetime event

Exactly this, and I am so hoping this one goes the mother fucking distance. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...