This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

Really surprised Ken bet on James to miss there. Big gamble but it paid 

Math how does it work?

James could only win the match getting it right and doubling up. What Ken bet didn’t matter. It was the right wager. 

Interesting that in both losses, the questions were about Shakespeare

12 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I feel really bad for Brad. 

I was rooting for Ken, but I like all three guys and wouldn't have been upset no matter the outcome. Just like everyone else, I wanted to see it go to Game 7.

Glad that they were able to set this up while Alex was able to host though. 

I agree they were all deserving contestants, but I had Brad and Ken ahead for who I wanted to see win. Both players have lived Jeopardy! so long. James does too, but he’s new on the block.

I think Brad underestimates what a small slowdown on the button will do. James changes the game in that alone (his wagering takes it to that next level).

24 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Math how does it work?

James could only win the match getting it right and doubling up. What Ken bet didn’t matter. It was the right wager. 

Interesting that in both losses, the questions were about Shakespeare

Yeah my addition skills were subpar tonight 

5 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

So what's the all-time record for Ken v Brad? Apologies if that info is somewhere in this thread.

Brad recounted his wins in episode 1 I think. But it didn’t really outline their head to head.

2005 Ultimate Tournament of Champions - Ken has a bye to the final, Brad came through the tournament and beat him.

2011 Watson matches - Brad finished 3rd, this is not considered official as it was an exhibition, but Ken won this one.

2014 Battle of the Decades - both made the final, Brad won over Ken and Roger Craig. 

2019 All-Star Tournament- it was a team competition, the teams led by Brad and Ken made the final, Brad’s team won this.

And now the GOAT matchup. 

I thought if you "mash" the buzzer you get delayed like .1 for every mash. Ken was destroying his buzzer. Or is that only while Alex is still reading?

Ken and jeopardy James were fun to watch. Ill be a james stan till i die but both, imho, are the goat(both after Alex of course). Ken adapting james' style made him much more lethal than Ken 15 years ago. Both can beat each other...its all about who gets the DJDDs. Itd probably still be airing if Brad didnt fuck it up. Twas a fun few nights of jeopardy. Theres some smart people on this planet.

Trebek is a fucking rock star. I feel his voice is just perfect for the show, and how he pronounces some foreign words with perfection is a show on its own. I love hearing is "youre right, correct, right" after every correct answer. So smooth

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WBT said:

This tournament was a ton of fun.  It's too bad Brad wasn't up for it this time.  Surely we'll see James and Ken play again someday?  

Yeah I'm sure this isn't the last we've seen of them. The ratings were very good, and Jeopardy! is essentially these top contestants' "job", so everyone has incentive to do it again.

Obviously they can't run it back too soon or it dampens the hype, but no doubt we'll see these guys again.

9 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I agree they were all deserving contestants, but I had Brad and Ken ahead for who I wanted to see win. Both players have lived Jeopardy! so long. James does too, but he’s new on the block.

I think Brad underestimates what a small slowdown on the button will do. James changes the game in that alone (his wagering takes it to that next level).

And it’s in this context that I think Ken’s win is so impressive. He’s a great competitor but I don’t recall him as much of a risk taker as he had to be in this one...and he fucking delivered.

Really would have liked to see James connect on that FJ just to force a for-the-marbles game 5. Brad was really just...there

Edited by hpslugga

12 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Iirc, James is a bit weak with Shakespeare.

I know very little about Shakespeare and the only answer I could come up with was Iago.  So James probably knew just enough Shakespeare to confuse himself.  If only he were a little more ignorant like me, we'd still be playing this.   

57 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I know very little about Shakespeare and the only answer I could come up with was Iago.  So James probably knew just enough Shakespeare to confuse himself.  If only he were a little more ignorant like me, we'd still be playing this.   

I thought immediately of Falstaff because it's always Falstaff on Jeopardy and he's in more than one play.

34 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I thought immediately of Falstaff because it's always Falstaff on Jeopardy and he's in more than one play.

I correctly thought of Iago - he never shut up.  Although, it did take me some time to remember which play he was from and kept picturing him as the bird in Aladdin.  

9 hours ago, WBT said:

For those in this thread asking why Brad was there, here's some pre-tournament smack talk:

Also, Disney Aladdin's Iago as James's new twitter avatar is a nice touch.

LOL.

I never realize that Jennings never played in a seasonal TOC. He had his 75 game streak, then went straight to the Ultimate TOC (Brad won) and other special tournaments after that.

Not just any Iago, but a mad one.

Iago with 278 speeches? Can’t imagine memorizing that then be convincing saying them.

On 1/8/2020 at 8:34 AM, WBT said:

Looking at J archive this morning, it's apparent how much missing the DDs killed Brad.  3 of his 4 misses were DDs.

Game 1

James  20 right, 0 wrong
Ken       29 right (1 DD), 0 wrong
Brad      10 right (1 DD), 2 wrong (1 DD)

Game 2

James  19 right, 2 wrong
Ken       19 right (1 DD), 5 wrong
Brad      18 right, 2 wrong (2 DD)

It also looks like Ken had the buzzer working the 1st game and Brad didn't.  The 2nd game was more even in that respect.

Is there a way to get this for the entire tournament?  It seemed like James had so many more correct but just couldn't hit the DD's.

OK, here are the totals:

James: Total - 188 right, 14 wrong; DD - 5 right, 1 wrong

Ken:  Total - 179 right, 13 wrong; DD - 7 right, 1 wrong

Brad: Total - 81 right, 14 wrong; DD - 4 right, 6 wrong

Edited by WBT
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, WBT said:

OK, here are the totals:

James: Total - 188 right, 14 wrong; DD - 5 right, 1 wrong

Ken:  Total - 179 right, 13 wrong; DD - 7 right, 1 wrong

Brad: Total - 81 right, 14 wrong; DD - 4 right, 6 wrong

Think this shows some of the luck involved in finding the DD at the right times.  

Jennings says he’s retiring from competition, I saw it first on Apple News in an Uproxx story, and Variety has a mention, too.

Now that he’s taken home the trophy, will Jennings ever return to the “Jeopardy!” podium?

“I don’t see how I can top it,” he says. “The win was great. It’s a great punctuation mark, and I absolutely mean what I said about not wanting to play past my prime. And at some point Alex is going to retire, I assume, and it just wouldn’t feel right to play with a different host. It’d be like cheating on Alex. I think this is a perfect time to go out on top.”

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jeopardy-goat-ken-jennings-alex-trebek-tournament-retiring-1203471741/

I think it means what I’ve suspected for a long time, Jennings will become the host when Alex can no longer do so. Even though he’s not a professional host, I think he’s camera savvy enough to pull it off. And even if he’s not the smoothest broadcaster, his bonafides speak for themselves. 

Sorry, Jimmy.

Clarifying the “Jimmy” I’m speaking of is not James Holzhauer, but the guy on the travel team that apparently does the run thru shows with the contestants, warming them up for the real thing. I’m sure he’s expected the job, but I don’t think he’s getting it. 

Edited by Vito Andolini

• 2 weeks later...

It's kind of a grading curve really.  The one time I qualified for the next round, I scored 44 and I was comfortably in the mix of folks at the audition, lots of 43 and 44 in my group, and of course some high 40's nerds.  Couple years later, I got a 42 and last year a 40, and according to the message forums on myriad sites, nobody with those scores got the call to live audition.  So all that to say, it seems like they take 45 and up no matter what.  Then 42-44, they'll pluck as many as space allows.  But that leads to me to one actual useful point...I noticed a lot more audition city options than I did in year's past.  That could mean a higher gross number of invitees, which means more 42's will get in for sure.  But then it could also just mean they take the  same number of folks, but just spread around more geographically.  But I dunno, there were almost twice the number of cities on there as there were just two years ago.  They can only funnel a fixed number of contestants to the actual show.  But they could be making a shift to see more folks from more parts of the country (which feels like maybe what it is) in which case I'd feel good this time around were I in the low 40's like many of you.  

I really shit the bed last week with a whopping 34, so yeah---so yeah, I'm cool hanging at the library. 

• 4 weeks later...