This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, WBT said:

A UT guy won the first college tournament game yesterday.  I don't like his chances in the next round though.  He wasn't that impressive though and lucked out when the leader missed a pretty easy FJ.

I will be pulling for him of course, but was a bit taken aback when he said the "K" in "AKC" stood for "canine" instead of "kennel."  Yikes.

I interviewed and got to award Marshall his scholarship (not my cash, most fun I've had though giving other people's money away though) and have guest lectured a class of his.  So I take full credit for his victory /csb.  In a cohort of very accomplished, humble, and philanthropically engaged young people...he stood out very clearly and that's really saying something.  I'm sure RexKramer will be along here shortly to shit on the story, but this kid is truly unique.  

Edited by Lobo

Spoiler for today's game

Spoiler

Marshall did a lot better today but ran into the hardest FJ they've had all tournament.  Triple stumper and the USC girl that was in last advances.  It was a good competitive game overall but a pretty lame ending.

Edited by WBT

Lulz, this usc girl just said Babe Ruth broke the color barrier

Will have to go back to watch and see that they worded it correctly this time.

A few years ago they did the first black professional baseball player - who is Jackie Robinson and I emailed in to tell them they were wrong and stupid and I am so smart SMRT

I was very pleased with myself that day.

Also I thought the community claimed Ruth nowadays?

22 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Will have to go back to watch and see that they worded it correctly this time.

A few years ago they did the first black professional baseball player - who is Jackie Robinson and I emailed in to tell them they were wrong and stupid and I am so smart SMRT

I was very pleased with myself that day.

Also I thought the community claimed Ruth nowadays?

This reminds me of a story one of my college roommates told me back in the day.  He was working for Pepsi in Tulsa and they had a promotion where Hank Aaron was in town and went to the north side to visit with some underprivileged kids at a boys club or whatnot..  Hank gave a great speech on following your dreams, working hard,  how he broke Babe Ruth's record etc..... at the end, he opened it up for questions.  The first kid he called on said..  " All this time, I thought you was white, and Babe Ruth was black."

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, WBT said:

Sheesh, today's contestants were told there would be no math.

The number of pounds in 15% of a US ton.

No one rang in.

"What is the same number as your mother's weight, Trebek?" /seanconnery

Three women today and we only got to the first 3 clues in the MLB category before we ran out of time.  Just a coincidence probably.

Also, this:

Ken Jennings first match should be cool and I won't mind rewatching the GOAT tournament either.

• 2 weeks later...

They showed Ken's loss at the end of his original run today.  He missed both DDs in DJ, betting 4800 each time and still had a 4400 lead going into FJ, which he obviously also missed.  He would have still won if he got any of those 3 right.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

They've posted a schedule of upcoming shows

They aren't wrong about settings. I have mine only record NEW shows, so I lost some of the GOAT tournament and haven't recorded anything since they ran out of new shows.

Depending on what your local affiliate chooses to show, you may also have been missing reruns in the middle of the night all this time. Pre-COVID, I had my DVR set to record them so that during the lesser tournaments (kids, college, and celebrity) that we don't care to watch, we'd have a backlog to get us through until adult-level questions return. 

It's been a boon - we generally watch 1-2 episodes a day and still currently have 107 left in the queue right now between the late night reruns and whatever they have been showing during the normal afternoon slot. 

On a related note, the Dish Network DVR's storage capacity kicks ass. 

20200718_114227.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2002's Million Dollar Masters started re-airing today.  This clue was pretty good:

Use your general funds in these 2 "general" companies in the top 5 firms in the Fortune 500

Both would be more likely to be found in the "Stonks" category today.

• 2 weeks later...

Rutter's MDM semifinal was today.  Spoilered for the later time slot folks

He trailed 20400 to 19600 going to FJ.  It was a fairly easy FJ on Profiles in Courage.  All 3 contestants got it right.  Rutter bet it all but the lady in the lead bet $0.

If she isn't an idiot, Rutter doesn't make his bones in this tournament and maybe doesn't get invited back to thrash Jennings in every meeting until the GOAT tournament.  Interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What is very exciting news that will brighten up your day? 

"Jeopardy!" legends Ken Jennings, James Holzhauer and Brad Rutter, who recently faced off in the quiz show's "Greatest of All Time" tournament, are returning to ABC for a new game, “The Chase.”  

The network announced Monday that all three, who earned spots  in game show history, will be part of the new show, to be hosted by "The View" co-host Sara Haines. 

Holzhauer, Rutter and Jennings, who triumphed in January's  GOAT tournament, will take turns performing the role of the Chaser for the series, in which "three competitors must pit their wits and face off against the Chaser, a ruthless quiz genius determined to stop them from winning cash prizes," ABC says. Per the network, "Each week, new contestants face-off against the Chasers in a battle of brain power, challenged to think faster than they ever thought possible."

No premiere date for the hourlong series has been announced.

Per Deadline, which first reported on the series in July, "The Chase" is inspired by the British game show that premiered in 2009, and will consist of nine initial episodes. An earlier American adaptation of the series premiered in 2013 on Game Show Network and aired for four seasons. Episodes from the first two seasons, hosted by Brooke Burns, are available on Netflix.