This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

What is “ I am so in”?

ABC takes viewers inside the longest-running quiz show in American history in the one-hour special "What is Jeopardy!? Alex Trebek and America's Most Popular Quiz Show" airing Thursday, Jan. 2 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST), on ABC.

Hosted by ABC News anchor Michael Strahan, the special features unprecedented behind-the-scenes access and an exclusive interview at home with Alex Trebek and his wife, Jean.

Throughout the special, viewers will experience "Jeopardy!" like never before as cameras go backstage with Trebek while he prepares for back-to-back show tapings, travels cross-country with producers IN SEARCH OF new contestants and looks back at the most iconic ones. Plus, in a rare sit-down interview with the legendary host, Trebek reflects on his recent cancer diagnosis, the impact he's had on American culture and the legacy he leaves behind.

41 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Yeah it seems like a lot of things went right for Ken and he still only won by 200. James is just a machine.

Sort of. Ken didn’t make a huge wager at the end of game #1, so that left James in shouting distance. A bigger wager in FJ1 and this isn’t close day 1. 

Brad had a forgettable day 1. Don’t count him out yet. 

Wow, that was fantastic.  I really hope this goes the full 7 games.

Ken was really impressive, especially during the first DJ.  Rutter seems like he's lost a step on the buzzer and also had the most misses.  Obviously missing all the DDs just killed him.  He really came on strong though in the second DJ after the DD misses.  I wouldn't count him out just yet.

I read an article stating the champion will be determined by who wins three of these two game “matches,” which are played out (as scheduled) over three nights. So, unless one guy wins every match this week... and we now know that “one guy” must be Jennings for that to happen... either Ken sweeps or we extend the “tournament.” 

And I just got clarity from the NYT I didn’t get in the first article I read:

The matches, which were prerecorded, airs again on Wednesday and Thursday at 8 p.m. Eastern time, 7 Central and Mountain and 8 Pacific. It will continue into next week if no one wins three matches this week.

And since it’s all prerecorded, (even additional matches), the result is known and the above news about the oddsmakers still makes sense.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/arts/television/jeopardy-greatest.html

(Not a spoiler, it’s the NYT article on the show that already aired.)

Spoiler

In the first game of the first match of the three biggest “Jeopardy!” stars, Ken Jennings bet everything he had on a Daily Double despite muttering seconds earlier that the category, in which each clue actually contained three clues, was “not where I feel comfortable.”

Jennings gave a cautious but correct response, doubling his points and shooting past his opponents. He heaved a sigh of relief and said, “I don’t think I could do that again.”

But in the next game of Tuesday’s hourlong “Jeopardy!” match, Jennings did do that again, betting all that he had on a Daily Double and producing the correct response: Morgan le Fay, a character in a Mark Twain novel. He sped past the two other game show greats on either side of him, James Holzhauer and Brad Rutter, for an early lead.

The two-game match came down to Jennings and Holzhauer. Both correctly answered the two Final Jeopardy clues, about the first six words of the Gospel of John (What is “In the beginning was the word”?) and an astronomer whose name was given to a comet that crashed into Jupiter and whose remains are on the moon. (“Who is Shoemaker?”)

Jennings’s 16,600-point win in the first game allowed him to bet conservatively in the second Final Jeopardy, and despite Holzhauer’s victory in the second game, Jennings won the overall match by 200 points. 

With that, Jennings took the early lead in the competition for the lofty title of the “greatest of all time.”

Over its decades on air, “Jeopardy!” has become adept at finding ways to bring back its biggest stars, like “Star Wars” and Marvel do on the big screen. 

Jennings, who holds the longest streak in the show’s history with 74 consecutive wins, has returned to the franchise numerous times: the Ultimate Tournament of Champions, the All-Star Games, the Battle of the Decades, a competition against I.B.M.’s Watson computer. Rutter holds the record for overall winnings, $4.7 million, amassed over years of winning these all-star tournaments. 

Holzhauer holds the other major “Jeopardy!” record: most money won in a single game ($131,127), and he also has the next 15 highest totals, all accomplished during his 32-game winning streak last year.

In a series of primetime hourlong episodes that began airing on ABC on Tuesday, they are playing one another in two complete “Jeopardy!” games each night. Each contestant’s combined score in the two games  determines who wins the match, and the tournament will continue until someone wins three matches. The champion will receive $1 million and the sweeping title of “greatest of all time.” The runners-up will each receive $250,000.

“I think it really is a tossup between the three players,”  Andy Saunders, who runs a website called The “Jeopardy!” Fan that tracks players’ statistics, said before the first match aired. “All three of them have strengths and weaknesses. You never know what might happen.”

The matches, which were prerecorded, airs again on Wednesday and Thursday at 8 p.m. Eastern time, 7 Central and Mountain and 8 Pacific. It will continue into next week if no one wins three matches this week.

Edited by Vito Andolini

No way I'm expanding your second quote. It always blows my mind that there are people out there that want to spoil shit like this for themselves.

I don't really understand the scoring, though. Why is it two matches = one point? Why not just do a point per match? For example Brad was already in such a deep hole after game 1 last night that he had virtually no chance of winning the night overall.

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

No way I'm expanding your second quote. It always blows my mind that there are people out there that want to spoil shit like this for themselves.

I don't really understand the scoring, though. Why is it two matches = one point? Why not just do a point per match? For example Brad was already in such a deep hole after game 1 last night that he had virtually no chance of winning the night overall.

They are playing tournament final rules - hence the 2 combined games = 1 win.

They are doing it because a single game is still very luck based because of the DDs. With these guys 1 well timed DD can end a single game quickly. But play this over 2 games and you distribute 6 DDs over 4 rounds, there is a lot more variation.

• Like 1

Maybe brad should go back to old school starting at the top instead of DD hunting and let a real man like james hunt for DDs

Looking at J archive this morning, it's apparent how much missing the DDs killed Brad.  3 of his 4 misses were DDs.

Game 1

James  20 right, 0 wrong
Ken       29 right (1 DD), 0 wrong
Brad      10 right (1 DD), 2 wrong (1 DD)

Game 2

James  19 right, 2 wrong
Ken       19 right (1 DD), 5 wrong
Brad      18 right, 2 wrong (2 DD)

It also looks like Ken had the buzzer working the 1st game and Brad didn't.  The 2nd game was more even in that respect.