What's going on with this DNI Whistleblower ?

triplehorn

Where we are today:

good thread outlining what we know with thoughts on the decision tree that led to where we are today:

VVV

First, and perhaps most importantly, at the time of the Mueller testimony to Congress we KNOW there was an ACTIVE counterintelligence investigation into Trump.  Mueller testified to this fact.  Trump would spare nothing to root this out and shut it down.  It took less than a month after the Mueller testimony for the crosshairs to find DNI Coats leading to his departure.  This suggests the CI investigation was not being run through the FBI as Barr presumably would would have known enough to shut it down.  It appears the CI investigation into Trump was in the hands of the DNI, potentially initiated by one Andrew MCabe, who Trump apparently has pressured DOJ to indict.

Could be that former DNI Coats and/or the Deputy DNI Trump refused to appoint are ready to speak.

• Like 2

Jesus.  That was a hell of a thread.  If true I take back all my anti-Nancy rhetoric from the "badass MF" thread.

I may have missed it, but what is Schiff's next move after getting the Heisman from the DNI?  Can the House send over there Sgt. At Arm's to arrest if he ignores the subpoena?  Would they?

46 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A war with Iran would be the distraction Trump needs over this stuff.

I imagine Trump is shitting pencils over this attack, assuming he's even capable of grasping how out of his depth he is right now.  He's only capable of bluster and chicanery.  With Bolton out and a raft of "acting" placeholders filling important positions, Iran could see this as their best opportunity to let it rip against Saudi.

It is going to come down to enforcement of subpoenas and what form that takes.  That or the whistleblower goes to the press as Schiff suggests.  Either way, this has the feel of something very significant that has been gamed out and won't be buried by Trump or the corrupt arm of Bill Barr's DOJ.  Executive Privilege can't be used to conceal evidence of wrongdoing or criminal conduct, but that certainly wouldn't stop Barr from determining it can.

15 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Jesus.  That was a hell of a thread.  If true I take back all my anti-Nancy rhetoric from the "badass MF" thread.

I may have missed it, but what is Schiff's next move after getting the Heisman from the DNI?  Can the House send over there Sgt. At Arm's to arrest if he ignores the subpoena?  Would they?

We're going find out.  Being detained by Sgt. At Arms following some defiance of a House subpoena and court order to comply would be a first.  But that's where we are wrt the level of contempt with the Trump GOP.  Running clock is the only option for these bad actors.

Schiff's reference of the whistleblower going to the press, as an alternative to having the properly filed credible whistleblower report given to Congress as the law requires, sounds like a veiled threat to Trump.  Schiff points out going to the press would be bad because it would likely result in a lot of classified information being revealed.  But it also means Trump would lose control of evidence going public.  Again, Trump's only play has been to obstruct, gaslight, and run clock, so there's a fair chance having the contents of the whistleblower report be front page news is a less desirable path.

• Like 1

So Trump ousts DNI Dan Coats 16 days after Mueller testified to the House that there was an ongoing counterintelligence investigation into Trump/Russia.  Including/namingTrump in the investigation helped ensure Trump couldn't shut it down.  In effect Trump/Barr didn't know about it.  Mueller testifies and 16 days later Coats is on his way out, and the lawful replacement is bypassed (subsequently immediately resigned all together) and Trump plants an unqualified person to take over DNI who now appears to be obstructing the lawful passage of the whistleblower account to House Intel.  

yeah, this is a very big deal.  You know that after Mueller testified, if not well before, there was a plan in place with FULL expectation Trump (if he's the "higher authority" shutting the current DNI down) would do what he appears to be doing in trying to wall it off and cover it up.

6 hours ago, triplehorn said:

So Trump ousts DNI Dan Coats 16 days after Mueller testified to the House that there was an ongoing counterintelligence investigation into Trump/Russia.  Including/namingTrump in the investigation helped ensure Trump couldn't shut it down.  In effect Trump/Barr didn't know about it.  Mueller testifies and 16 days later Coats is on his way out, and the lawful replacement is bypassed (subsequently immediately resigned all together) and Trump plants an unqualified person to take over DNI who now appears to be obstructing the lawful passage of the whistleblower account to House Intel.  

yeah, this is a very big deal.  You know that after Mueller testified, if not well before, there was a plan in place with FULL expectation Trump (if he's the "higher authority" shutting the current DNI down) would do what he appears to be doing in trying to wall it off and cover it up.

spacer.png

Curious. Does this story concern you?

Meaning, if there is fire behind the smoke what is your impression?

Democrats still don’t know how to make hay if they find a fire. Trump is talking about war with Iran. This gets lost as background noise.

The GOP is not going to turn on Trump and Trump is never going to stop fighting. The normal conventions of embarrassing Trump with a news cycle do not apply.

Democrats still don’t know how to make hay if they find a fire. Trump is talking about war with Iran. This gets lost as background noise.

The GOP is not going to turn on Trump and Trump is never going to stop fighting. The normal conventions of embarrassing Trump with a news cycle do not apply.

I’m talking about more than a news cycle. I mean the substance of the allegation.

It’s a shame our attention spans have gotten so stunted.
  • Like 2

Incoming from WaPo per Kyle Griffin:

Breaking via WaPo: The whistleblower complaint that triggered a showdown between the Intel Community and Congress involves Trump's communications with a foreign leader and a "promise" he made, two former U.S. officials familiar with the matter tell WaPo.

—-

"Trump's interaction with the foreign leader included a 'promise' that was regarded as so troubling that it prompted an official in the U.S. intelligence community to file a formal whistleblower complaint with the inspector general for the intel community, said the officials."

—-

"It was not immediately clear which foreign leader Trump was speaking with or what he pledged to deliver, but his direct involvement in the matter has not been previously disclosed. It raises new questions about the president's handling of sensitive information."

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Good suspect but Lil Kim writes letters.  It was a phone call and Putin speaks pretty good English.  Not sure how well Mr. Bone Saw is at talking Trumptard.  There’s also Bibi. 

Same time frame Trump was talking about flipping KJI's brother, and how he wouldn't allow the CIA to do it.  May have triggered an IC staffer on the NSC into a whistle blower complaint. 

Would anyone be remotely surprised if he promised MBS he'd nuke Tehran in exchange for $50 mil* to be invested in some Trump organization project?

*I started to say $1 billion, but we all know Trump is actually a really penny ante dipshit grifter so he'd probably vastly underestimate how much he could get for something like that.

I think it’s Putin because he’s always trying to get more kompromat on Trump and they had a phone conversation at the end of July.  Also, there’s been a lot of suspicious activity with Ukraine and the Trump administration, such as withholding foreign aid over the last month. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz