What's going on with this DNI Whistleblower ?

triplehorn

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Please elaborate . . . I don't remember the details.  How were subpoenas issued, witnesses examined & cross-examined, etc.?  

Short version is that this is how House investigations proceed. GOP majority allowed for subpoenas to issue by majority vote of committees. Committees can opt for staff attorneys to question witnesses or do so themselves. Again, internal rules governs the questioning which typically alters between majority and minority. Only certain witnesses are asked to testify publicly. I’m no parliamentarian, but I believe that’s the gist 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Short version is that this is how House investigations proceed. GOP majority allowed for subpoenas to issue by majority vote of committees. Committees can opt for staff attorneys to question witnesses or do so themselves. Again, internal rules governs the questioning which typically alters between majority and minority. Only certain witnesses are asked to testify publicly. I’m no parliamentarian, but I believe that’s the gist 

The reason I asked was because I thought Hillary testified prior to the 2015 rules-rewrite by the Republicans.  It appears she didn't.  Time craws when you're having fun.

19 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

There’s no strategy, dude 

As an attorney, I can relate to when my clients (or in this case spokespeople for my clients) admit publicly horrifically damaging admissions to my client's defense.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I read the 115 page text that the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence released after they questioned Joseph Maguire, the Acting Director of the DNI, about the whistleblower complaint. It seemed like that was how they ran it with him. The Chair spoke, then the Ranking Chair (Nunes), then the let Maguire have some opening remarks and then the questioning began. I gotta say, my husband gently tolerates me going off topic and taking forever to get to the point, but I had no idea people could draw a salary to do so. The Chair asked questions first, then Nunes went and then a few other committee members. So, again, confirming what you said.

Here is a small excerpt from the meeting:

None of this happens, but for the decision of your Inspector General, Michael Atkinson, a man who was appointed by President Trump and confirmed by a Republican Senate to come to this committee 7 days after the complaint was required by law to be transmitted to us. It was his decision, personal decision, not the kaleidoscope of fantabulistic conspiracy theories the ranking member thinks is happening here; but it was the decision of Michael Atkinson, an appointee of this President, to come to this committee, following not advice from you or any law, but following his own conscience. Without his decision to do this, none of this is happening, correct?

Acting Director Maguire. I applaud Michael's -- the way he has done this. He has acted in good faith. He has followed the law every step of the way. The question is, Congressman, does it -- did it or did it not meet the legal definition --

Mr. Himes. No, sir, I asked a very different question, which was, without his decision -- it's a simple question. Without his decision, none of this is happening. Is that correct?

Acting Director Maguire. Well, we got to back up to the whistleblower as well. So --

Mr. Himes. Okay. And I should have noted that the whistleblower also deserves the same accolades that Mr. Atkinson does.

---Cut---

I'm part of a closed Facebook group related to a music ensemble I used to play in.  There are hundreds if not thousands of members, one of whom is an insufferable  little Trummpkin twat.  I can't disengage from him without doing so from the group, which is not in the cards, as I maintain contact with a bunch of close friends this way.

So, this jackass' new theory, which I can only assume is being pushed by Rush, Buck, Sean, Tucker and the gang, is this:

Adam Schiff is the whistleblower.

For fuck's sake.  I don't know how successful people can possibly be this stupid, but he's a shining example.  He's quite simply brainwashed.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Greg Sargent in WaPo re Bill Taylor's testimony yesterday and Bill Barr:

"...The testimony from Taylor, the acting U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, also contains a key revelation about Attorney General William P. Barr — one that provides an occasion to revisit his role in this scandal, and hints at how Barr will likely continue perverting the U.S. government machinery to help Trump get away with it.

Taylor’s key mention of Barr comes in a very damning passage. Taylor recounted that he’d learned that Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, had informed Ukraine that the frozen military aid would be conditioned on launching the “investigations” Trump wanted.

Taylor then testified that on a call, Sondland stated that Trump told him he wanted Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky to “publicly” pledge investigations -- which would undercut the fact of Russian sabotage of the 2016 election and help smear potential 2020 opponent Joe Biden. Taylor claimed Sondland told him the money was dependent on this.

Taylor then adds:

We also discussed the possibility that the Ukrainian Prosecutor General, rather than President Zelenskyy, would make a statement about investigations, potentially in coordination with Attorney General Barr’s probe into the investigation of interference in the 2016 elections.

Two senior U.S. officials seriously discussed a plan in which the attorney general of the United States would publicly coordinate with a foreign government to help Trump absolve Russia of culpability for an attack on our political system, by helping to repudiate our intelligence services’ conclusion about that culpability.

cont."

Greg Sargent in WaPo re Bill Taylor's testimony yesterday and Bill Barr:
"...The testimony from Taylor, the acting U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, also contains a key revelation about Attorney General William P. Barr — one that provides an occasion to revisit his role in this scandal, and hints at how Barr will likely continue perverting the U.S. government machinery to help Trump get away with it.

Taylor’s key mention of Barr comes in a very damning passage. Taylor recounted that he’d learned that Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, had informed Ukraine that the frozen military aid would be conditioned on launching the “investigations” Trump wanted.

Taylor then testified that on a call, Sondland stated that Trump told him he wanted Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky to “publicly” pledge investigations -- which would undercut the fact of Russian sabotage of the 2016 election and help smear potential 2020 opponent Joe Biden. Taylor claimed Sondland told him the money was dependent on this.

Taylor then adds:
We also discussed the possibility that the Ukrainian Prosecutor General, rather than President Zelenskyy, would make a statement about investigations, potentially in coordination with Attorney General Barr’s probe into the investigation of interference in the 2016 elections.
Two senior U.S. officials seriously discussed a plan in which the attorney general of the United States would publicly coordinate with a foreign government to help Trump absolve Russia of culpability for an attack on our political system, by helping to repudiate our intelligence services’ conclusion about that culpability.
cont."

Actually that would be better than forcing a foreign state to announce publicly it was unilaterally investigating a US candidate.

There are often joint investigations by US and other states and the normal means of announcement is to do it jointly.

I'm part of a closed Facebook group related to a music ensemble I used to play in.  There are hundreds if not thousands of members, one of whom is an insufferable  little Trummpkin twat.  I can't disengage from him without doing so from the group, which is not in the cards, as I maintain contact with a bunch of close friends this way.
So, this jackass' new theory, which I can only assume is being pushed by Rush, Buck, Sean, Tucker and the gang, is this:

For fuck's sake.  I don't know how successful people can possibly be this stupid, but he's a shining example.  He's quite simply brainwashed.

Use the “Hide all from” feature on any of his posts. Works great

On 10/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Bet Blue Devils don't have that problem... 😉

The talking points from the GOP have all been about how Adam Schiff has not allowed them to question witnesses. Being that Republicans were on the various committees, that was obviously false, but as you know from yesterday, Schiff had to step in and stop some of their questions due to their nature of attempting to discern the whistleblower's identity. This came across my desk this morning:

And people wonder why they have been protecting the whistleblower.

🚨Two US Senators were involved in this extortion scheme ?  Which ones ?  

But for the whistleblower, the Trump/Rudy/Pompeo et al extortion scheme was most definitely happening:

"Finally bending to the White House request, Mr. Zelensky’s staff planned for him to make an announcement in an interview on Sept. 13 with Fareed Zakaria, the host of a weekly news show on CNN."

Edited by triplehorn

The same Ron Johnson who signed a letter to Ukraine in 2016 urging them to "press ahead with urgent reforms to the Prosecutor General's office" and then forgot about it recently when  he slammed Biden for pressing Ukraine to reform the Prosecutor General's office?

I hope he gets taken down in the fracas as well.

https://www.portman.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/portman-durbin-shaheen-and-senate-ukraine-caucus-reaffirm-commitment-help

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I don't even care to want to know what that even means, but did you really screenshot a Tweet? lol

He had too. Posting the actual tweet would show what the tweet was in response to. That would reveal Zavala to be a liar and fraud. Again.

Andrew Bakaj, one of the attorneys for the whistleblower - whose report led to House Democrats' impeachment proceedings - sent a cease and desist letter to White House counsel Pat Cipollone, telling President Trump to stop attacking his client, CNN reports.

"I am writing to respectfully request that you counsel your client on the legal and ethical peril in which he is placing himself should anyone be physically harmed as a result of his, or his surrogates', behavior," Bakaj wrote, adding that the president is "engaging in rhetoric and activity that places my client, the Intelligence Community Whistleblower, and their family in physical danger."

Since the public release of the whistleblower report, Trump has continuously attacked the whistleblower in an attempt to discredit what was said in the report.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/469551-whistleblower-lawyer-send-cease-and-desist-to-white-house-over-trumps?amp=1&amp_recirculation=1

39 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Andrew Bakaj, one of the attorneys for the whistleblower - whose report led to House Democrats' impeachment proceedings - sent a cease and desist letter to White House counsel Pat Cipollone, telling President Trump to stop attacking his client, CNN reports.

"I am writing to respectfully request that you counsel your client on the legal and ethical peril in which he is placing himself should anyone be physically harmed as a result of his, or his surrogates', behavior," Bakaj wrote, adding that the president is "engaging in rhetoric and activity that places my client, the Intelligence Community Whistleblower, and their family in physical danger."

Since the public release of the whistleblower report, Trump has continuously attacked the whistleblower in an attempt to discredit what was said in the report.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/469551-whistleblower-lawyer-send-cease-and-desist-to-white-house-over-trumps?amp=1&amp_recirculation=1

I was just checking in to post this, so I'm glad you did. The intimidation tactics this Administration has used are despicable and wholly unrepresentative of what our country should be. Should we manage to come out of the current proceedings battered but whole, I am worried that the next GOP put up as a presidential candidate will use the current Administration as a road map for a trip from which there is no easy return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I am worried that the next GOP put up as a presidential candidate will use the current Administration as a road map for a trip from which there is no easy return.

I have a feeling the GOP will make sure that we don’t get another Trump candidate.   He’s messed with too many pet projects of Republicans in Congress, and rather than talking about themselves when a camera is pointed in their direction, they are having to defend Trump or just avoid the cameras.   Many really hate when they have to talk about anybody but themselves, especially when it means defending something or somebody that could cost them a few points in the polls.  There’s a reason so many Rs have retired.  

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I have a feeling the GOP will make sure that we don’t get another Trump candidate.   He’s messed with too many pet projects of Republicans in Congress, and rather than talking about themselves when a camera is pointed in their direction, they are having to defend Trump or just avoid the cameras.   Many really hate when they have to talk about anybody but themselves, especially when it means defending something or somebody that could cost them a few points in the polls.  There’s a reason so many Rs have retired

Fuck them all.  I'm ready for a Reign of Terror.  We can clean up the mess in a somewhat more mild-mannered counter-revolution.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Fuck them all.  I'm ready for a Reign of Terror.  We can clean up the mess in a somewhat more mild-mannered counter-revolution.

Perhaps my favorite bad_teammate contribution to this board was him introducing this video (it was new to me).

If they aren't going to follow the protocol, do we as federal employees get to not do the damn training year?  Same training that doesn't qualify reasons for one's identity to be revealed.  Brought to you by appointees who are letting several important things in my agency languish....... Again.

• 2 weeks later...