Ric Ocasek RIP

HenryJames

He and Paulina split last year after a pretty long run together.  The Cars were one of the soundtracks to my high school days as well.  Loved their music, saw them in concert in 1979 and 1981.  Hands down the two worst concerts I've ever been to.  Like watching a bunch of mannequins.  Barely moved for 2 hours.

same experience...just an awful show.

5 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Without looking at Wikipedia would anyone have put him at the same age as Keith Richards?

Ric Ocasek was 143?

I was busy listening to metal in the 80s, but The Cars have grown on me over the years.  "Drive" is an all-time classic.  RIP.

Edited by TexArcher

I just heard the news about an hour ago on my "Drive" to the grocery store. "You Might Think" its no big deal, but "I'm Not The One" to agree as their music was "Just What I Needed" back in junior high/high school. They weren't afraid to "Shake It Up" and make new wave popular. So through the "Magic" of the internet, I fired up Pandora on The Cars station and "Let The Good Times Roll."  After this news, "It's All I Can Do."

• Like 2

One of the all-time great hit makers, with a totally unique sound and look. He had a unique image but underneath it was lots and lots of substance. Ocasek had such a great ear for melody and catchy tunes, but then wove in all of this weird, off-center stuff that made their songs so intriguing and unmistakable and different. I never turn the Cars off when they come on the radio. Damn what a loss. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burt said:

I just heard the news about an hour ago on my "Drive" to the grocery store. "You Might Think" its no big deal, but "I'm Not The One" to agree as their music was "Just What I Needed" back in junior high/high school. They weren't afraid to "Shake It Up" and make new wave popular. So through the "Magic" of the internet, I fired up Pandora on The Cars station and "Let The Good Times Roll."  After this news, "It's All I Can Do."

Sounds like you've got a lot on your head.

17 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Sounds like you've got a lot on your head.

Yep, its like everything is "Moving in Stereo" through my mind.  Its been "Touch and Go" and "Up and Down" all evening, but "I Refuse" to let it "Strap Me In."

Edited by Burt

Yeah, this is gonna happen in pretty quick succession now. All of these guys are from 70-80 and that's just the way it's gonna go.  Get used to it.
RIP Paulina's (well up to last year anyway) hubby.

Maybe splitting from her pushed him over.

Anyway, with Benjamin Orr's death 20 years ago the Cars stopped being the Cars, so this is very sad news, but not the gut punch for me like someone in the middle of their Renaissance (i.e. Eddie).

Edited by phdhorn

RIP, Ric. The cars provided the soundtrack to my teens and early 20s.

Last Friday I was actually searching for some of their early concerts and listed to a free live TV show the BBC did called "Rock goes to College" where they featured up and coming bands in free concerts on various college campuses each week. The Cars performed for the show in 1978 at the University of Sussex in Brighton. I have seen this before, but don't think I've ever noticed one asshole in the audience shouting "Thank God it's free" right before the band starts Dont Cha Stop.

Thank God it's free!

How do you embed the youtube videos?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Longhorn Fever said:

RIP, Ric. The cars provided the soundtrack to my teens and early 20s.

Last Friday I was actually searching for some of their early concerts and listed to a free live TV show the BBC did called "Rock goes to College" where they featured up and coming bands in free concerts on various college campuses each week. The Cars performed for the show in 1978 at the University of Sussex in Brighton. I have seen this before, but don't think I've ever noticed one asshole in the audience shouting "Thank God it's free" right before the band starts Dont Cha Stop.

Thank God it's free!

How do you embed the youtube videos?

go to y2mate.com and covert it to one of the acceptable formats

14 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

same experience...just an awful show.

Never saw them live but Bob Wilonsky posted an old DMN concert review for their show in 1984. One of the responses said it was a terrible show. His quote: "I was at that show and as much as I liked the Cars thought they were TERRIBLE that night, the epitome of a studio band that had no business on an arena stage. They looked bored and listless. When people ask me what was the most disappointing concert I ever saw, that's the one I mention. Ric Ocasek was a genius but as a live band they were shit."

6 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Indeed. Perhaps his greatest accomplishment.

649c05ef769707a4ed53eae2222d41f0.jpg

Was reading up on Ocasek after hearing the news last night and found out she was 18 when they met and started dating.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Apparently the 1979 concert was so awful you attended in 1981 to confirm.

I really liked the group.  I figured they couldn't be as bad as the first time, they had more material and somebody must have said "guys, you really suck live, maybe you need to show a little more energy."  I was wrong.  But at least I didn't pay for the ticket, it was a birthday present.  

Just now, Zone Read said:

I really liked the group.  I figured they couldn't be as bad as the first time, they had more material and somebody must have said "guys, you really suck live, maybe you need to show a little more energy."  I was wrong.  But at least I didn't pay for the ticket, it was a birthday present.  

Yeah, I get it -- I'm a huge fan of the group and for whatever reason never got to see them live.  I've heard the same about their shows time and again, but it wouldn't have stopped me from seeing them had the chance existed.