Reports of Explosion at virology/biotechnology institute in Russia

Horn Under a Bad Sign

I've been there in January. It was cold. Novosibirsk is the Russian answer to Los Alamos. It is isolated. There are a bunch of institutes that were put together so scientists could collaborate. Most of the restriction endonucleases used in basic research come from a company that started from the institute in the OP. If you buy REs from Perkin Elmer, Amersham, Invitrogen or whatever their names are now, they most likely came from Novosibirsk.

The most likely cause of a blast is a gas leak. Most of the biologics would be destroyed in the blast. Few are probably airborne. Few survive outside a host for extended periods of time. Still lots of HAZMAT and bleach.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I've been there in January. It was cold. Novosibirsk is the Russian answer to Los Alamos. It is isolated. There are a bunch of institutes that were put together so scientists could collaborate. Most of the restriction endonucleases used in basic research come from a company that started from the institute in the OP. If you buy REs from Perkin Elmer, Amersham, Invitrogen or whatever their names are now, they most likely came from Novosibirsk.

The most likely cause of a blast is a gas leak. Most of the biologics would be destroyed in the blast. Few are probably airborne. Few survive outside a host for extended periods of time. Still lots of HAZMAT and bleach.

THAT is exactly how every movie about massively dangerous, civilization ending,  pathogens being released into the air begins........

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This seems bad, if true.   Olga Lautman does not seem to be a crackpot. 

The Russians clearly cannot be trusted with technology.  They are a third world nation when it comes to this shit. 

The funny thing is, Russians are very, very good at basic science and engineering.  It's manufacturing and management of technology where they fuck it all up.

8 hours ago, Bevo said:

Looks like someone already broke Rule #1

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Looks like someone already broke Rule #1

giphy.gif

Not once but multiple times. I also worked with the CDC on an SBIR grant involving a TB diagnostic. So, of course, they took me on the tour. More disturbing, I worked with a shitty company in Arizona that was working on a prion diagnostics. If we ever had an outbreak, I would turn to them. Maybe since Roche bought them they've fixed their shit, though. 

On 9/17/2019 at 4:59 AM, Bevo said:

Fuck all that cut-rate shit. I only buy from New England BioLabs.

• Like 2