Peacock - NBC's WTF streaming service

Js1

Wife and I watched the Psych 2 movie last night.  It was pretty good, some great laughs, some tender moments, lots of Scooby Doo action. 

But we couldn't mirror the app onto our TV.  We tried to watch it through our smart tv, even trying the website for Peacock.  Then she tried connecting her laptop to the tv: the ads worked but it wouldn't stream the movie to the tv.

Why doesn't Peacock want us to watch their stuff?

PS Juliet is still hot, and Chief still has some left in the tank.

Edited by miguelito
PS

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fixed.

I need a reason for CBS. 

My Peacock justification for $5/mo is a few Bravo shows that never made it to Hulu I’d like to watch, old episodes of King of Queens and Everybody Hates Chris, passing interest in Brave New World and that new episode of current NBC shows won’t be on Hulu next day, but will be on Peacock Premium (or a week later for free version)

CBS will get my business again once Star Trek: anything New is streaming 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

CBS Streaming is the only legal way to stream the 2:30 SEC game. They’ll get my business if there’s college football in the fall. 

For the next few years since ESPN is taking that contract over.

Its also still over the air using a regular antenna.  If you are cutting the cord investing in a good TV is a must.

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

CBS Streaming is the only legal way to stream the 2:30 SEC game. They’ll get my business if there’s college football in the fall. 

I streamed plenty of 2:30 SEC games last season on YouTubeTV; did something change?

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded the free version of this app and looked around at what was on offer. I decided to watch a 2014 documentary on rapper Nas and his debut album Illmatic, Time is Illmatic. It had some good footage of Nas' early attempts at rap, interviews with his family and people who knew him along with intellectuals and writers. MC Serch looks really old, Marly Marl looks really young. There is a scene where he is looking at the pictures from the photo shoot for the album where he just gathered around the kids younger than him that were just hanging around the project at the time of the photo shoot and he recounts what happened to each of the teenage kids in the photo after 20 years. I had to sit through two and a half minutes of commercials before the show started but it wasn't interrupted.

Then the recommended shows afterward were just hilariously mismatched.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Peacock now has an app for Roku.   

Now we just need HBO Max

Yeah, I was happy to see this today. Had to hook up an old Chromecast to watch some U.S. Open on the big screen this weekend and I'm glad I won't have to mess with that in the future.  I'll probably shell out the $5 now just for the Premier League games. And yes, hoping HBO Max follows suit in the near future-- they have to cave eventually, right?

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2020 at 10:00 PM, wutang75 said:

$5 a month and I can’t even watch old Dateline episodes? WTF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is #1 bullshit.  I am going to run through the small amount of episodes they have on there now.  

• 1 month later...

Saturday will be interesting. First day The Office is off of Netflix and on Peacock. It’ll have all of the DVD extras, but plenty of ads and only the first 2 season for free. That’s 28 episodes. Billie Ellish probably goes through that in a day. 

Will The Office bingers spring for the $10 a month to go ad free? That’s the question NBC is betting on. 

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Saturday will be interesting. First day The Office is off of Netflix and on Peacock. It’ll have all of the DVD extras, but plenty of ads and only the first 2 season for free. That’s 28 episodes. Billie Ellish probably goes through that in a day. 

Will The Office bingers spring for the $10 a month to go ad free? That’s the question NBC is betting on. 

is it $5 or $10... i was under the impression i was paying $5 a month, mainly to get access to English Premier League Soccer. I thought that also included ad free access; maybe not. I haven't looked through the rest of the Peacock content - only so many hours in the day.

Edited by yoladu

5 hours ago, yoladu said:

is it $5 or $10... i was under the impression i was paying $5 a month, mainly to get access to English Premier League Soccer. I thought that also included ad free access; maybe not. I haven't looked through the rest of the Peacock content - only so many hours in the day.

Their are 3 pricing tiers. Free gets you a lot of content with ads. $5 is all content with ads. $10 allows downloads and is ad free. The ads aren't bad. Significantly less than a regular broadcast. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

With all the other options out there, I still can’t believe NBC expects you to pay for this service. Looks likeThe Office is the saving grace. But I seem to see it on Comedy Central every time I turn on my YouTubeTV.

I know it’s a business, but just one episode of the new girl band parody appears to be free to sample, and there were three free eps of the not funny Ed Helms sitcom, enough to let me know it wasn’t worth the investment. I would be very surprised to learn The ‘Cock is proving to be a success. (Just Googled, 33 million subscribers at last count, but a $914M loss last year.)

Al a carte TV is gonna end up fucking the streaming world, and we’re gonna wind up back with Cablevision, aren’t we? 😩

The Almighty Thor is available!  I had never seen or heard of this. I can’t imagine anyone has sat through the whole thing without a gun to their head, but watching the first 5-10 minutes is amusing in a “I can’t believe someone made this steaming pile of shit and showed it to others” kind of way

10 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

With all the other options out there, I still can’t believe NBC expects you to pay for this service. Looks likeThe Office is the saving grace. But I seem to see it on Comedy Central every time I turn on my YouTubeTV.

I know it’s a business, but just one episode of the new girl band parody appears to be free to sample, and there were three free eps of the not funny Ed Helms sitcom, enough to let me know it wasn’t worth the investment. I would be very surprised to learn The ‘Cock is proving to be a success. (Just Googled, 33 million subscribers at last count, but a $914M loss last year.)

Al a carte TV is gonna end up fucking the streaming world, and we’re gonna wind up back with Cablevision, aren’t we? 😩

eventually all the great nbc tv shows from the past 25 years (30 rock, the office, parks and rec, will and grace, friends, west wing, er) are going to end up either on peacock (nbc/univ owned) or hbo-max (warners).  netflix will begin to have less and less content in the category of "rewatchable sitcom/hour long" - it's already been happening.  we'll see if hulu/amazon will continue to pay for it, or if that's even an option for them.

moving forward, ownership will be everything.

I thought they had some kind of press release a couple years back when the streaming rights to a handful of sitcoms from various studios were sold. The amounts for the brand name sitcoms were intentionally publicized to bring attention to Peacock and the CBS/Paramount and Disney Plus services.

21 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

eventually all the great nbc tv shows from the past 25 years (30 rock, the office, parks and rec, will and grace, friends, west wing, er) are going to end up either on peacock (nbc/univ owned) or hbo-max (warners).  netflix will begin to have less and less content in the category of "rewatchable sitcom/hour long" - it's already been happening.  we'll see if hulu/amazon will continue to pay for it, or if that's even an option for them.

moving forward, ownership will be everything.

Just FYI Friends, West Wing and the first run of Will & Grace are Warner properties so HBOmax has them unless NBC licenses them…like Netflix did.

Netflix just locked up a major deal with Sony to get all their tv and movies including exclusive rights to Seinfeld.  I agree my long term opinion of Netflix is bearish, they’ll need to partner with someone at some point to keep their valuation.

Seems like an easy company for Google or Apple to grab up when they start their decline, but their biggest advantages were their subscriptions and their tech all of which are less important each day as the market is catching up.

Edited by TKthunder2

36 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Just FYI Friends, West Wing and the first run of Will & Grace are Warner properties so HBOmax has them unless NBC licenses them…like Netflix did.

22 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

eventually all the great nbc tv shows from the past 25 years (30 rock, the office, parks and rec, will and grace, friends, west wing, er) are going to end up either on peacock (nbc/univ owned) or hbo-max (warners).

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  I’m not buying Netflix’s response strategy of producing a ton of shitty movies and releasing one every week, either.  

Do they actually own any properties that really drive subscriptions other than Stranger Things (which the cast is about to age out of)?  It doesn’t seem like their own content really penetrates pop culture to the degree it would need to in order to keep the top dog valuation once all the other studios with 90 year libraries pull their content.

And lol again at NBC not owning Seinfeld, Cheers or Friends.  “Hey, want to pay $10 a month to literally just watch Jurassic Park, Soccer, and The Office?  Anyone?”

you can't even pause/ffwd/rewind live soccer matches. you have to actually catch them live, and if you don't then you have to wait 24 hours for peacock to post the replay, which in this day and age is just insane, because you can't go 24 hours without being spoiled on something like that. oh and did i mention that all of these games take place smack dab in the middle of the american working day? NBC literally went from "hey america, come fall in love with soccer! every single EPL game is live and free on cable" to "please pay us to watch your soccer game after you get off work...the day after the game."

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Do they actually own any properties that really drive subscriptions other than Stranger Things (which the cast is about to age out of)?

Their Daredevil/Punisher were good, but the rug got pulled on them.  Netflix is investing in The Witcher currently AFAIK.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:54 AM, Vito Andolini said:

Pretty much this. I have every episode of Seinfeld, The Office, Parks and Rec, and Friends on  my YTTV right now. Cataloged according to season.  I love me some EPL, but as @shadow_operative mentioned the user interface is garbage. 

I have zero reason to add this service, but apparently 42m have.

www.tvtechnology.com/amp/news/comcast-now-touts-42m-peacock-subscribers

Edited by Dutch

Brian Baumgartner (Kevin from The Office) loves to tell people every 5 minutes that The Office is the most watched show in history.... when it was on Netflix. 

I'm sure Peacock made it worth their while, but exposure of The Office has decreased considerably. 

The same can be said about Friends after it left Netflix for HBO Max. 

Parks and Rec never caught on with the youths after being on Netflix for several years. 

I like Peacock because the mid tier is free for Xfinity subscribers, and it has AP Bio. The ads are so tiresome, I won't stick around to binge full seasons. 

• 2 months later...

Watched the first three episodes of Dr. Death last night, and enjoyed them enough where I would finish the series... if still available for free. I may do a month or two, just trying to keep a lid on subscription inflation, we already have so many streamers.

Regarding the show, it seems every (yes, an exaggeration) series now wants to play with timelines, because a linear presentation may reveal it’s just not that damn interesting. This thing is jumping around more than a Double Dutch team. One minute, Duntsch is butchering a patient in Dallas, another he’s in college, then residency, then back to Dallas, to fellowship, back to college, to... who knows. We are helped on occasion (not all) by literal words on the screen, telling us which year we are in.

Jackson is doing ok, Baldwin has been sedated, and Slater has been given all the good lines. 

Gonna start Dr. Death this weekend. I saw that Jamie Dornan was originally cast as Duntsch. He would have been great. 

I’ve had Peacock since it’s inception because of the Premier League. It’s definitely paid off because of soccer and golf. Lots of early round or feature group coverage. Any other good programming is a bonus. And there has been other good programming. Plus, it has the WWE library. Wasn’t expecting that. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

NBC stuffed a nifty easter egg in the Peacock user agreement:

https://thetakeout.com/peacock-recipe-for-kevins-famous-chili-the-office-1848601558

https://www.peacocktv.com/terms

Spoiler

At Peacock, we don’t make promises we can’t keep. So, please see below for the chili recipe inspired by Kevin Malone’s legendary family dish, which he so memorably brought to Dunder Mifflin on The Office:

Ingredients

• 4 dried ancho chiles
  • 2 Tbs neutral oil (vegetable, canola or grapeseed)
  • 3 lbs ground beef (80/20 or 85/15 lean)
  • 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1 large jalapeño, finely chopped
  • 1 Tbs dried oregano
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 Tbs tomato paste
  • 2 12 oz. bottles of beer (lager or pale ale)
  • 3 cans Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 cups beef stock
  • 2 ½ cups chopped ripe tomatoes
  • 2 Tbs kosher salt
  • Chopped scallions, shredded Jack cheese and sour cream for topping

Directions

- Tear ancho chiles into pieces, discarding seeds and stems. In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, toast chiles over medium-high, stirring occasionally until very fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer toasted ancho chiles to a food processor or spice mill and process until very finely ground. Set aside.

- Add oil to pot and heat over medium-high. Add ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally to break beef into small pieces, until well browned (about 6 minutes). Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a plate and set aside.

- Add onion to pot and cook briefly over medium-high until barely softened, about 2 minutes. The secret is to undercook the onions.

- Using a garlic press, press garlic directly into the pot, 1 clove at a time. Then stir in jalapeños, oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper and tomato paste. Stir and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add beer and continue to cook, stirring and scraping the pan, about 7 minutes.

- Meanwhile, put beans in a large bowl and mash briefly with a potato masher until broken up but not fully mashed.

- Add mashed beans, stock, tomatoes, salt, and cooked beef to pot. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low to maintain simmer and cook 2 hours so everything gets to know each other in the pot. Remove from heat, uncover and let stand at least 1 hour (can also be refrigerated 8 hours or overnight).

- Reheat gently, taste and add more salt if necessary, and serve with your favorite toppings. We recommend chopped scallions, shredded Jack cheese and sour cream.

Enjoy! While we wish you could dish us up a bowlful (without spilling it all over our reception area, naturally), feel free to share this recipe (tagging @peacocktv, of course). And now, back to your regularly scheduled legal document.

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Just watched Perfect World- Deadly Game. Holy shit. Documentary about this gamer who may or may not have killed his entire family and posted pictures of it online as it was happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...