CYHMwT? I want a TV projecter for my yard

Beau Vine

So I have a big white shed/garage in the backyard of my new-old house, and the other day I got the idea that I'd love to watch the World Series on the side of that thing. 

I just want a projector I can plug a roku stick into and carry outside while I'm watching, so I don't necessarily need an "outdoor" (weatherproof) projector. 

Any of y'all tried this so I can learn from your mistakes?

We watch a lot of games and movies out in our backyard throughout the year on a projector (and a big 120 inch pull down screen that i hook up to the side of our tree house).  As the bulb in the projector we have had for the past five years (cheaper end model than what JM posted above) has started to fade, I have been starting to look at getting a replacement.  I don't have short throw now but that would be really good to have as you otherwise have to place the projector the appropriate distance back (or close) to your screen to get the right size.  The brightness is an important consideration, especially if going cheaper.  My current one is 500 lumens which has generally been fine with the lights off out there but I will go brighter next purchase.  You also need to consider how you will hear it. I assume most projectors now have bluetooth audio capabilities so you can hook up bluetooth speakers (my current one only had an audio out and so I have to run long audio wires to my (otherwise) bluetooth speakers.  Depending on how loud the internal speaker in the projector is and what noise you have going on around you (AC unit running, etc), internal speakers alone may likely not be enough.  

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Is the "short throw" feature a must-have?

Depends on how much room you have and how big you want the picture. I use it mainly in my extra entertainment room for PS4 and movies so I needed a short throw to fill the 120" screen. Outside it can come in handy because you can have the projector close in front and use the keystone correction to adjust the picture.  

That was the best one under $1k I could find for gaming and sports because of the low latency rate. It's worked well.