Stephen King’s “The Stand”

futureman

production has started on 10-part miniseries.  CBS.

Collider is reporting that Emmy and Golden Globe winner Alexander Skarsgård (Big Little Lies) will be playing the infamous Randall Flagg (also known as The Man in Black, among other nicknames) in CBS All Access’ upcoming series adaptation of Stephen King’s The Stand.

Skarsgård joins a cast that includes James Marsden (Westworld) as Stu Redman, Amber Heard (Aquaman) as Nadine Cross, Greg Kinnear as Glen Bateman, Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail, Odessa Young (Assassination Nation) as Frannie Goldsmith, Henry Zaga (The New Mutants) as Nick Andros, Jovan Adepo (Overlord) as Larry Underwood, Owen Teague (IT) as Harold Lauder, Brad William Henke (Orange Is the New Black) as Tom Cullen, and Daniel Sunjata (Rescue Me) as Cobb, a new character.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1098327-alexander-skarsgard-randall-flagg-stand-series

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

seriously, the first mini series back in... '94? with Molly Ringwald and Gary Sinise was pretty good,  not sure how CBS can do much better

The opening sequence with "Don't Fear the Reaper" playing over it was great. 

• Like 2

Interesting casting, most of those actors feel too young for the parts-- feel, not "are". Like James Marsden, he basically is the right age to play Stu Redman, but I think of him as a younger man. Amber Heard seems too young for Nadine Cross. The Harold Lauder casting, though, they nailed. And Randall Flagg, that seems spot on.

Lulz at making Larry Underwood black. OK. 

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

seriously, the first mini series back in... '94? with Molly Ringwald and Gary Sinise was pretty good,  not sure how CBS can do much better

I guess im in the minority.  One of my favorite books but was let down by the first mini series.  I always thought it could be the best movie/series ever if enough $$ was dumped into it. 

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Interesting casting, most of those actors feel too young for the parts-- feel, not "are". Like James Marsden, he basically is the right age to play Stu Redman, but I think of him as a younger man. Amber Heard seems too young for Nadine Cross. The Harold Lauder casting, though, they nailed. And Randall Flagg, that seems spot on.

Lulz at making Larry Underwood black. OK. 

The earlier casting was pretty damn good, too. Dauber as [[Trashcan Man]]  M-o-o-n, Rob Lowe, Miguel Ferrer, Tits San Giacomo, even the Walking Dude guy was apt.

Edit:  got my regards confused, it's been a while.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chesthair said:

I guess im in the minority.  One of my favorite books but was let down by the first mini series.  I always thought it could be the best movie/series ever if enough $$ was dumped into it. 

There was no way that miniseries was going to live up to the book. I still think it was pretty good but the book is the best of King's I ever read (of maybe a dozen). 

17 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Booooooooo!!! - No way this will be any good. This needs to be on a network like HBO where language/subject matter etc don't get suppressed.

CBS is the how of "Heaven/Angel" shows & "NCIS" shit. They won't be able to do this book justice.

Hey, that's not fair!  They also have something like 16 Chuck Lorre sitcoms.

Owen Teague played Patrick Hocksetter in IT.  I couldn't help but think of Rainn Wilson as Harold when I read the book despite the fact that Harold is younger than Franny IIRC.

I'm hoping to time a free trial of CBS all access to binge watch this over a weekend at some point.  Picked up the DVD of the 1994 edition a couple of months ago for a few bucks and have been meaning to watch it again.

On 9/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Booooooooo!!! - No way this will be any good. This needs to be on a network like HBO where language/subject matter etc don't get suppressed.

CBS is the how of "Heaven/Angel" shows & "NCIS" shit. They won't be able to do this book justice.

Again, their streaming shows on their all access platform aren’t subject to network standards and practices. 

There are shows on it now that have no language restrictions, and some violent content. I haven’t seen nudity yet, but that’s not necessary to tell a King story. 

• 9 months later...

I am pretty pumped for this, I am going through a bookfag re-reading/re-listening (thanks Bezos) right now and forgot how insanely long it is. The cast seems solid although I never pictured Randall as Eric from True Blood. 

Hopefully we get a solid 9 episode completion and not whatever the fuck CBS tried to do with Under the Dome and stretching that out for way too many seasons. 

Still no release date but apparently it is wrapped and cut so I assume in the fall. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/18/2019 at 3:01 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Perhaps my fav book of all time - at least per nostalgia.  I read it as a junior in high school ~ 1,300 pages.  Finished it, turned back to the front, read it again.

Also liked the miniseries.  Perhaps the update will have better CGI.

Did you read 11/22/63?

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, futureman said:

enjoyed the first 2/3 of the book probably more than any book I’ve read.  I thought it lost steam at the end though. 

Yeah.  I wouldn’t say 1/3 though. maybe the last 1/5 lost me a bit, but the beginning was absolutely voracious reading.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Lobo said:

M-O-O-N-V-E-S.   That spells CBS, LES.

Like many of you, enjoyed the book and miniseries in High school.  But I’m skeptical.  Cast looks good at least.  

Also looks like the sfx will be at a much higher level than the old mini, which is a very good sign that they are trying for an HBO level quality.  🤞

• 2 weeks later...