Subway brisket

Beau Vine

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Goddamn right. Imagine making a chopped brisket cheesesteak? I need to dust off my Texadelphia cook credentials and make one.

Yeah, that could be great, but I bet you wouldn't use cheddar.  You'd go legit with provolone or maybe some old-school Whiz (ack).  Just as a lack of beans is the soul of Texas red chili, the type of cheese on a Philly is pretty important.

Yeah, that could be great, but I bet you wouldn't use cheddar.  You'd go legit with provolone or maybe some old-school Whiz (ack).  Just as a lack of beans is the soul of Texas red chili, the type of cheese on a Philly is pretty important.

I would use neither cheddar or whiz. One slice of mozzarella on the bread side and one slice of provolone on the top.
  • Like 1

Now I'm really hungry.

Yeah, I am craving that sandwich now too.

I miss that job. For the people and environment, the era in my life, but also cooking a cheesesteak for myself each shift. Extra cheese was a skill each cook had to learn. You would cook the meat and onions and then arrange it in a neat pile. Throw the first slice on top and let it melt before placing the amaroso roll on top, then scooping it up with the spatula underneath. Then the tricky part was throwing another slice of cheese directly in the grill then quickly placing the sandwich face down onto that cheese without losing any of the meat. You the. Had to put enough pressure down and in a small circular motion begin to slide the the sandwich around the grill, using the grease from the meat and melting cheese to facilitate the motion. Then quickly, in a fluid motion slide the spatula under the sandwich and melted cheese, flip it over and with a bit of force pull the spatula across the face of the sandwich so that all the cheese would stay on the cheesesteak. Done right, the results were glorious. Cheese-meat-cheese-bread. That’s what I call being a sandwich artist.

Back to awful subway sandwich “artist” and brisket talk.
  • Like 2

I  use cheddar when i make brisket enchiladas.  Its strong flavor holds up well to the smoke of the brisket and the spice of the enchilada gravy.

I'd happily use cheddar on a brisket grilled cheese sandwich, too.

On an unrelated note, I used to date a girl who said "sang-wich" instead of sandwich.  She was hot enough to get away with it though.  And believe me if I had any pics I'd proudly post them, but this was well before digital cameras were around.

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I miss that job. For the people and environment, the era in my life, but also cooking a cheesesteak for myself each shift. Extra cheese was a skill each cook had to learn. You would cook the meat and onions and then arrange it in a neat pile. Throw the first slice on top and let it melt before placing the amaroso roll on top, then scooping it up with the spatula underneath. Then the tricky part was throwing another slice of cheese directly in the grill then quickly placing the sandwich face down onto that cheese without losing any of the meat. You the. Had to put enough pressure down and in a small circular motion begin to slide the the sandwich around the grill, using the grease from the meat and melting cheese to facilitate the motion. Then quickly, in a fluid motion slide the spatula under the sandwich and melted cheese, flip it over and with a bit of force pull the spatula across the face of the sandwich so that all the cheese would stay on the cheesesteak. Done right, the results were glorious. Cheese-meat-cheese-bread. That’s what I call being a sandwich artist.

Delaware Subs?

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Oh yeah I get that.... I'm sure some shredded cheese would be just fine on like a brisket taco as well... but it's just the idea that Subway is advertising this thing as like a "BBQ brisket" sub or whatever... and then putting cheese on it.... 

I've just never seen cheese anywhere near anything I've referred to a "BBQ"... just seems totally bizarre.  But I suppose it's just another way to give fat-fuck-nation more calories.

There is a place here in Portland that uses cheese on their brisket, it could be worse shit like mayo.

*steps in to the confessional*

My mom use to make me brisket sandwiches on toast with sharp cheddar and mayo.  

Still has a special place in my heart.  Right next to kraft mac and cheese out the box.

Might make a sandwich that way off the next brisket to reminiscence.

Nah, will probably just wrap it in a tortilla with pico. 

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

*steps in to the confessional*

My mom use to make me brisket sandwiches on toast with sharp cheddar and mayo.  

Still has a special place in my heart.  Right next to kraft mac and cheese out the box.

Might make a sandwich that way off the next brisket to reminiscence.

Nah, will probably just wrap it in a tortilla with pico. 

Hell, I remember fondly some post-fishing sammiches of cold leftover brisket on white bread with mustard.  We ate them leaning against the car, hands still sandy from wadefishing.  They were f'n glorious.  The simple stuff can be great.

I just ain't creating an ad campaign around it.

I’m a big fan of keeping the “scraps” from when I cut a brisket, and even the very end of the flat that can sometimes get a little dry, and chopping it up really fine.  

You freeze and and vacuum pack it, and use it for a Saturday morning breakfast.  

-Heat bacon fat

-soft fry some hash browns in bacon fat

-mix in brisket and 1/2 white or yellow onion

-10-12 eggs 

-hot fresh tortillas

-bewm 

• Like 2

Yeah I certainly get using cheese in various dishes that include BBQ brisket...

I'm just thinking about what I see when I go to a real BBQ joint for a delicious plate of BBQ. 

I typically see lots and lots of meat, maybe some baked beans, Texas toast, cole slaw, mac & cheese, potato salad... just don't recall ever seeing big slabs of sharp cheddar cheese sitting atop my meats...

17 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I certainly get using cheese in various dishes that include BBQ brisket...

I'm just thinking about what I see when I go to a real BBQ joint for a delicious plate of BBQ. 

I typically see lots and lots of meat, maybe some baked beans, Texas toast, cole slaw, mac & cheese, potato salad... just don't recall ever seeing big slabs of sharp cheddar cheese sitting atop my meats...

They're not sitting on top of the meats.  They're located on the counter where you order, or pay.  And they have been for at least 40 years.  It's extremely common.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:53 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

I’ve seen some nasty shit in my life but for some reason, this pic makes me nauseous.  Maybe it’s the memories of eating subway 9-10x a week in residency.  And knowing this is worse than that fucking spicy Italian.  By a fair margin. I’d imagine.  

Jared?  Is that you?

On 9/24/2019 at 1:02 PM, Brisketexan said:

In approx 1992, I was at the Posse East when the Miller representative was handing out free sample pitchers of "Miller Clear" (remember THAT stupid trend?)  Free beer.  To poor law students.  We all took a swig.  We then dumped the rest of the pitcher out, in front of the rep, who nodded.

"Free" goes a long way.  But it doesn't get you all the way across the finish line.

This^^^

In all of my antiquated existence, I've had many opportunities to sample free stuff for a reaction.  I've never said something was good if it wasn't...of course I'm kind of an asshole in that way.

47 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Pickles are disgusting.  The only thing they're good for is helping to hold down the white butcher paper so it doesn't blow away.

I'll pretend I didn't hear that.  Pickles are one of the best parts about barbecue.  Pickles are one of the best foods, period.  

But yes, as stated above many times---the cheddar slices thing has been around for a long time.  You don't see it every bbq joint, but I'd say probably half of 'em.  

What I am still baffled by days later is there is a mainstream brisket sandwich with mayonnaise on it and we're all just accepting it, and not burning that restaurant chain to the ground. 

And it would appear Subway smokes their brisket about as well as Jared smokes adult cock.  

53 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'll pretend I didn't hear that.  Pickles are one of the best parts about barbecue.  Pickles are one of the best foods, period.  

But yes, as stated above many times---the cheddar slices thing has been around for a long time.  You don't see it every bbq joint, but I'd say probably half of 'em.  

What I am still baffled by days later is there is a mainstream brisket sandwich with mayonnaise on it and we're all just accepting it, and not burning that restaurant chain to the ground. 

And it would appear Subway smokes their brisket about as well as Jared smokes adult cock.  

I mean, they already are putting slaw on a brisket sandwich, why the fuck do they need to put mayo on it as well?  The whole thing is a Greek Tragedy. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Is the Unpopular Food Opinions thread shut down for the day?

Don't worry, I definitely posted this in the unpopular food opinion thread as well. :)

It was surprisingly LESS unpopular than I thought it would be, though.  Lots of folks seem to hate pickles as much as I do.

Delaware crushes Texadelphia.
Not even close.

Well yeah, Tex sucks ass now. And has sucked for sometime. But before the original owners went full franchise, it was great. If I made your steak, it was probably pretty damn good and I didn’t skimp. Maybe if you looked and acted the part of a total frat douche. But since I got to cook for myself, my steak was always awesome.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well yeah, Tex sucks ass now. And has sucked for sometime. But before the original owners went full franchise, it was great.

Yeah, I ate at the one on the Drag quite often.  Maybe not by the time you were there, though.  I was surprised at how different the food was at the Arboretum location, until I learned it was franchised out.  Everything was different, and not for the better.

Yeah, I ate at the one on the Drag quite often.  Maybe not by the time you were there, though.  I was surprised at how different the food was at the Arboretum location, until I learned it was franchised out.  Everything was different, and not for the better.

I started eating there when my older brother was a freshman in 1991. At that point it was the only location (although it wasn’t the original location if I remember correctly). By the time I worked there in 1999, there was the one on the drag, one in the union, and one elsewhere in Austin (I want to say Anderson lane). They were beginning the franchising and expansion but it really hadn’t gotten going just yet and the drag location still had its original character and menu. Then they started making every location have the same lame decor and trying to streamline the business. That’s when it really started to go to shit.

When you take a greasy, hole in the wall place like that and make it corporate, it never works and is never the same. You want punk band dirtbags working the kitchen. You want the hot chick that might have done the sorority thing but decided to be her own person (and now has that kind of slutty alternative vibe) working the counter.

Blah. I loved that place in the 90s and the people I met there.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is a terrible opinion and you should feel ashamed.

Nah, I'm good with it, no shame at all.  They're gross.  I don't like cucumbers in general, pickled or fresh.

Pickled jalapenos on the other hand are good.  Especially with pickled carrots.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I started eating there when my older brother was a freshman in 1991. At that point it was the only location (although it wasn’t the original location if I remember correctly). By the time I worked there in 1999, there was the one on the drag, one in the union, and one elsewhere in Austin (I want to say Anderson lane). They were beginning the franchising and expansion but it really hadn’t gotten going just yet and the drag location still had its original character and menu. Then they started making every location have the same lame decor and trying to streamline the business. That’s when it really started to go to shit.

When you take a greasy, hole in the wall place like that and make it corporate, it never works and is never the same. You want punk band dirtbags working the kitchen. You want the hot chick that might have done the sorority thing but decided to be her own person (and now has that kind of slutty alternative vibe) working the counter.

Blah. I loved that place in the 90s and the people I met there.

The original on the Drag was always the best.

They'd attempted expansion much earlier too, and failed. In the mid/late 80s there was one in NW Austin right by Playland skating rink for a year or two.   It wasn't as bad as the later 90s/2000s expansion franchises, but it wasn't as good as the original, either.