We've achieved peak 'Merica

Loco

Just now, South Austin said:

Same here. I’m probably in the minority of people who don’t care for chicken and waffles. Get the fuck out of here with maple syrup and sweet batter all over my fried chicken.

Preach, brother.  Preach. 

I've had breakfast sausages that were cooked with a small amount of maple syrup, and it was fine, but that is the line in my mind.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Same here. I’m probably in the minority of people who don’t care for chicken and waffles. Get the fuck out of here with maple syrup and sweet batter all over my fried chicken.

I tried it at Roscoe's due to all the hype. 

I don't know what I expected, because it tasted exactly as....I expected.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

The key to good chicken and Waffles, imo, is to still have spicy batter on the chicken.  

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The key to good chicken and Waffles, imo, is to still have spicy batter on the chicken.  

The way chicken and waffles would work for me is to go all in on savory, and basically do a savory waffle with some kind of gravy as your sauce, rather than syrup.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The way chicken and waffles would work for me is to go all in on savory, and basically do a savory waffle with some kind of gravy as your sauce, rather than syrup.

I have to keep the chicken and waffles 'separate'.  I want Louisiana Hot Sauce on my chicken, and syrup on my waffles.  I don't mind if the hot sauce mixes with the syrup, for the waffles, but don't want the syrup on my chicken.  

22 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I have to keep the chicken and waffles 'separate'.  I want Louisiana Hot Sauce on my chicken, and syrup on my waffles.  I don't mind if the hot sauce mixes with the syrup, for the waffles, but don't want the syrup on my chicken.  

So then you're basically doing the waffles as a side to chicken?  I can get my head around that.  I was always under the impression that the people who are gaga over this are putting syrup drenched waffle and fried chicken on the fork at the same time and eating it together.

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I was always under the impression that the people who are gaga over this are putting syrup drenched waffle and fried chicken on the fork at the same time and eating it together.

yes.  not drenched but the idea is to get a little sweet with your savory.  and a little heat also helps.

shit mofo, this idea is one of the tenets of thai cooking.

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

So then you're basically doing the waffles as a side to chicken?  I can get my head around that.  I was always under the impression that the people who are gaga over this are putting syrup drenched waffle and fried chicken on the fork at the same time and eating it together.

Many of those folks are, just not me.  

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

yes.  not drenched but the idea is to get a little sweet with your savory.  and a little heat also helps.

Say what you will about the tenets of SE Asian cooking, but at least it's an ethos.  

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

That's a different kind of sweet - relying on herbs/vegetables that have a natural tendency towards that.  They aren't dumping maple syrup into Thai food.

Fuck, it's been awhile since I've had Thai food.  The one food genre I miss the most living in BFE.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That's a different kind of sweet - relying on herbs/vegetables that have a natural tendency towards that.  They aren't dumping maple syrup into Thai food.

Fuck, it's been awhile since I've had Thai food.  The one food genre I miss the most living in BFE.

brown sugar is often used in marinades.  

fuck it, i'm doing thai for lunch.

On 9/19/2019 at 11:09 AM, Doc Reeves said:

I’d still say America peaked in ‘96

atlanta olympics opening ceremony starring cheerleaders and chevy trucks?  well, i agree. 

looking back, what a fucking abortion of an opening ceremony.  we had 4 years to plan and this was the result.

https://youtu.be/_8X12MhcJVI?t=381

Edited by crash_davis

On 9/19/2019 at 10:41 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

You'd be surprised. They dump a large spoonful or more of plain white cane sugar into many of their dishes.

• 2 weeks later...